Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Butcher Paper vs Foil

I’ve always used aluminum foil, because I didn’t know there was another option. I’ve recently been seeing more about folks using butcher paper instead of foil. Any thoughts on this? I ordered a small roll of butcher paper to try it out, just wondering what others experience had been. Thanks!

Comments

• stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,684
    I rarely use either, but prefer paper if I do.  I just use the kraft paper from a charcoal bag though.
  • wardo
    wardo Posts: 398
    I've only ever used foil.  I hear that paper breathes better.  I never intend to wrap the food (unless it's for the FTC part) so even using the foil is rare for me.
    NC - LBGE
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    I like to use foil and an aluminum pan. That way I can capture the rendered fat and juices. Then you can reincorporate them or use a fat separator and just use then highly seasoned juices. For me it’s like taking the extra step of brining poultry. It’s a real step up in results. That said, I’m not a bark fanatic.  

My good friend cooks hundreds of briskets a year and uses the butcher paper/ Franklin method. He cooks Costco prime packers exclusively with real good results. I’ve done it as well, but prefer the comp style wrap in the foil pan personally. It’s all good though. 
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,167
    Give the below link a look regarding foil, paper or nekked for finishing a brisket.  It really depends on how the cook is going and your preferences.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lnRRDSYgdmw 
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,707
    I like to use foil and an aluminum pan. That way I can capture the rendered fat and juices. Then you can reincorporate them or use a fat separator and just use then highly seasoned juices. For me it’s like taking the extra step of brining poultry. It’s a real step up in results. That said, I’m not a bark fanatic.  

My good friend cooks hundreds of briskets a year and uses the butcher paper/ Franklin method. He cooks Costco prime packers exclusively with real good results. I’ve done it as well, but prefer the comp style wrap in the foil pan personally. It’s all good though. 
    I'm in this camp right here , foil put in pan use the Jus....most brisket I do is ear marked for sliders for events 
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • Double wrapped Pink butcher paper for brisket applied when it stalls.  
    Foil, or a foil covered pan, for ribs.  2-2-1 method.
    Large Green Egg
    Smobot
    Custom Cedar Table