Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

BGE Knife Set

Options
2»

Comments

• pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    Why tf would anyone overpay for a set of knives just because BGE put them out?
    My initial thought was that if they were decent knives the price point for the pair isn't all that bad.  
    I guess I just don’t see the point if you can find the base version elsewhere at (likely) a lower price.
    Why buy a Duke tshirt when they sell cheaper ones that don’t say Duke on them at Walmart? Hmmmmm. 
    You cannot possibly be this dense, but you do make me wonder at times.
    It’s obvious that you are the one incapable of seeing a point of view other than the one you hold. Cheers to you genius boy. 
    I mean I understand that your store sells BGE goods, and maybe you feel the need to toe the party line, I’m not sure.  But there’s little to no value added in wielding a basic knife that has the BGE logo on it vs one that does not.  If your point is that there is for dudes who are the ultimate fanboys of all things BGE, well, then you’ve got me I suppose.  I just find that view kind of silly, but nobody ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American consumer.
    They are priced at 1/2 price or less. Genius boy. Jump to conclusions lately?? 
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,627
    Options
    Happy Holidays Pete.
  • saluki2007
    saluki2007 Posts: 6,354
    Options
    You guys are awesome. Thanks for the laugh. 
    Large and Small BGE
    Central, IL

• JohnInCarolina
    Options
    My initial thought was that if they were decent knives the price point for the pair isn't all that bad.  
    I guess I just don’t see the point if you can find the base version elsewhere at (likely) a lower price.
    Why buy a Duke tshirt when they sell cheaper ones that don’t say Duke on them at Walmart? Hmmmmm. 
    It’s obvious that you are the one incapable of seeing a point of view other than the one you hold. Cheers to you genius boy. 
    I mean I understand that your store sells BGE goods, and maybe you feel the need to toe the party line, I’m not sure.  But there’s little to no value added in wielding a basic knife that has the BGE logo on it vs one that does not.  If your point is that there is for dudes who are the ultimate fanboys of all things BGE, well, then you’ve got me I suppose.  I just find that view kind of silly, but nobody ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American consumer.
    So the BGE knives are analogous to the t-shirts at Walmart now, and not the more expensive ones with Duke written on them?  OK.  

You’re texting Focker for argument tips tonight, aren’t you?
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • lightningque
    Options
    I have a set of the "cheaper ones" and for quick stuff in my outdoor kitchen I am very happy with them, I hit them with the worksharp sharpener ever so often and they stay sharp for me, but I don't bang my knives around and I keep them in the protective sleeves.  I have some expensive knives the wife bought and I hate them,  cutco is the brand and they were good for about a year.  I buy my knives from the restaurant supply store and toss them when they wear out.  
    1 large in challenger cart and 1 mini-max , too many dang accessories  

Baton Rouge LA 

• pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    So the BGE knives are analogous to the t-shirts at Walmart now, and not the more expensive ones with Duke written on them?  OK.  

My original analogy was to counter your knee JERK conclusion that because they were branded they were overpriced and that only a dumb ass would buy something overpriced because it’s branded.

No the knives are analogous to a branded t shirt or purse or polo shirt, whatever. How did you get where you are? The non branded knives are analogous to the Walmart t shirt. Duh!

I bet you have branded clothes and your wife has brand name purses etc etc. You can buy any of those things without the branding for less, but you choose to willingly give them extra money for the brand. I have no issue with that. You apparently think you are a dumb ass. Whatever??? Hard to argue with your well thought out conclusion. 

By the way, did you look them up an the website to see they priced higher from the actual source? That’s because they used to be 140 bucks. They are giving them away genius boy! 

You are an impressive one. Very impressive. 
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    HeavyG said:
    Nothing wrong with adding more BGE branded stuff to ones collection if that is what one is into.
    I doubt they are great knives (whatever that means) but so what? Keep em sharp and they'll be just fine... probably. Unless they feel really weird in your hand or some other thing that annoys you (too heavy, balance isn't to your liking, whateva). 
    There's a lot of snobbery when it comes to knives and a lot of things that might be of importance to a pro chef using their knives for hours each day may be of very little importance to a home chef that uses their knives for ten minutes each day. Just remember the one thing that is of primary importance to pro or home cook - keep em proper sharp.
     The chef's knife I've used daily for the past 17 yrs was bought at Target. $10. I had tenosynovitis in my right hand at the time, from driving to interviews in several states (at least that's what I tell everyone), and needed a knife with a stout handle. It's sharpened once or twice a year, and gets the job done.

caliqueen had a custom chef's knife made for me a few years  ago.Handle custom made for my hand, etc. It's too pretty to use. So it stays sheathed, on top of the fridge, while the Target knife helps make our meals. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options

My original analogy was to counter your knee JERK conclusion that because they were branded they were overpriced and that only a dumb ass would buy something overpriced because it’s branded.

No the knives are analogous to a branded t shirt or purse or polo shirt, whatever. How did you get where you are? The non branded knives are analogous to the Walmart t shirt. Duh!

I bet you have branded clothes and your wife has brand name purses etc etc. You can buy any of those things without the branding for less, but you choose to willingly give them extra money for the brand. I have no issue with that. You apparently think you are a dumb ass. Whatever??? Hard to argue with your well thought out conclusion. 

By the way, did you look them up an the website to see they priced higher from the actual source? That’s because they used to be 140 bucks. They are giving them away genius boy! 

You are an impressive one. Very impressive. 
    LOL Pete, go to bed.
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    caliking said:
    HeavyG said:
    Nothing wrong with adding more BGE branded stuff to ones collection if that is what one is into.
    I doubt they are great knives (whatever that means) but so what? Keep em sharp and they'll be just fine... probably. Unless they feel really weird in your hand or some other thing that annoys you (too heavy, balance isn't to your liking, whateva). 
    There's a lot of snobbery when it comes to knives and a lot of things that might be of importance to a pro chef using their knives for hours each day may be of very little importance to a home chef that uses their knives for ten minutes each day. Just remember the one thing that is of primary importance to pro or home cook - keep em proper sharp.
     The chef's knife I've used daily for the past 17 yrs was bought at Target. $10. I had tenosynovitis in my right hand at the time, from driving to interviews in several states (at least that's what I tell everyone), and needed a knife with a stout handle. It's sharpened once or twice a year, and gets the job done.

caliqueen had a custom chef's knife made for me a few years  ago.Handle custom made for my hand, etc. It's too pretty to use. So it stays sheathed, on top of the fridge, while the Target knife helps make our meals. 
    "Driving to interviews..."  

Lol, is that what they're calling it now?
    Options
    caliking said:
    HeavyG said:

Doctor said my grip on the wheel was too hard. Had to drive more with my left hand for quite a while.

This hole is feeling deeper...

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • theyolksonyou
    Options
    caliking said:
    caliking said:
    HeavyG said:

Doctor said my grip on the wheel was too hard. Had to drive more with my left hand for quite a while.

This hole is feeling deeper...
    Did your eyesight suffer as well?  You know, from concentrating on the road...
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,192
    Options
    I saw both of the knives at the Mothership yesterday. I wish I had paid more attention to them now. 
  • saluki2007
    saluki2007 Posts: 6,354
    Options
    Lexus or Toyota? Audi or VW? BGE Charcoal or Royal Oak? 
    Large and Small BGE
    Central, IL

• GoldenQ
    GoldenQ Posts: 566
    Options

We have a set of very old set of excellent German knives but I still prefer my Dexter Russel's or Mercer for This type of cooking and don't worry if I loose them or damage them due to their low cost.

I XL  and 1 Weber Kettle  And 1 Weber Q220       Outside Alvin, TX-- South of Houston
  • Battleborn
    Battleborn Posts: 3,363
    Options
    So is the great knife debate of 2019 settled? Did we get a good general consensus like our politics? Asking for a friend. 
    Las Vegas, NV

• RajunCajun
    RajunCajun Posts: 1,035
    Options
    So is the great knife debate of 2019 settled? Did we get a good general consensus like our politics? Asking for a friend. 
    I'll take the 5th on that
    The problem with a problem is that you don't know it's a problem until it's a problem, and that is a big problem.
    Holding the company together with three spreadsheets and two cans connected by a long piece of string.
  • gamason
    gamason Posts: 406
    Options
    HogFather said:
    Man what a bunch of aszholes  

Just a few, but if you hang around a bit, you will figure them out pretty quickly. The Carolinas and Louisiana seem to produce quite a few. 

Snellville,Ga.

LBGE

Minimax

• JohnInCarolina
    Options
    gamason said:
    HogFather said:

Just a few, but if you hang around a bit, you will figure them out pretty quickly. The Carolinas and Louisiana seem to produce quite a few. 

This is funny to me because in my experience, Georgia is FILLED with aholes!!!
  • dmchicago
    dmchicago Posts: 4,516
    Options
    This thread is fu#king buried treasure!
    Philly - Kansas City - Houston - Cincinnati - Dallas - Houston - Memphis - Austin - Chicago - Austin

Large BGE. OONI 16, TOTO Washlet S550e (Now with enhanced Motherly Hugs!)

"If I wanted my balls washed, I'd go to the golf course!"
    Dennis - Austin,TX
  • RajunCajun
    RajunCajun Posts: 1,035
    Options
    gamason said:
    HogFather said:

Easy now, partner, easssyyyyy.
    The problem with a problem is that you don't know it's a problem until it's a problem, and that is a big problem.
    Holding the company together with three spreadsheets and two cans connected by a long piece of string.
  • HogFather
    Options
    gamason said:
    HogFather said:

Go to bed, John
    Fighting off the trolls 1 by 1
    Large Egg

Pig, KY 
  • JethroBodeen
    Options
    I just hope a simple knife thread can be turned into another long winded  political rant before its over......Sarcasm intended.
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    HogFather said:
    gamason said:
    HogFather said:

Go to bed, John
    Oh, how did I leave out Kentucky?!?!?  Kentucky is like a black hole for aholes!  It sucks them in and they can never leave, because they're surrounded by aholes!  
  • GrateEggspectations
    Options
    @JohnInCarolina: What are your thoughts on the accents, John? 😊
  • GrateEggspectations
    Options
    HogFather said:
    gamason said:
    HogFather said:

Go to bed, John
    Oh, how did I leave out Kentucky?!?!?  Kentucky is like a black hole for aholes!  It sucks them in and they can never leave, because they're surrounded by aholes!  
    I’d have to disagree on this one by a mile. In truth, by far the kindest person I’ve encountered on this forum is from Kentucky. Always a kind word, generous gesture and warm (but virtual) smile. Your words betray the truth. 
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    HogFather said:
    gamason said:
    HogFather said:

Go to bed, John
    I’d have to disagree on this one by a mile. In truth, by far the kindest person I’ve encountered on this forum is from Kentucky. Always a kind word, generous gesture and warm (but virtual) smile. Your words betray the truth. 
    Hey, I'm not from Kentucky!

HogFather said:
    gamason said:
    HogFather said:

Go to bed, John
    It was a joke.   HogFather is nominally from Kentucky, although I have my doubts.  

But I would nevertheless caution you against extrapolating based on anecdotes ;)
  • GrateEggspectations
    Options
    HogFather said:
    gamason said:
    HogFather said:

Go to bed, John
    It was a joke.   HogFather is nominally from Kentucky, although I have my doubts.  

But I would nevertheless caution you against extrapolating based on anecdotes ;)
    Re: cautioning on anecdotes, is it safe to assume you used empirical evidence to conclude the preponderance of aholes in Kentucky? 🙂
  • theyolksonyou
    Options
    HogFather said:
    gamason said:
    HogFather said:

Go to bed, John
    The guy you speak of can also be an a$$hole.  

He’s one of my faves ones I know.