Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

BGE Knife Set

Options
Does anyone own the 2pc BGE knife set?  Any comments?  Is it decent?
The problem with a problem is that you don't know it's a problem until it's a problem, and that is a big problem.
Holding the company together with three spreadsheets and two cans connected by a long piece of string.

Comments

• pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    Does anyone own the 2pc BGE knife set?  Any comments?  Is it decent?
    They made two different sets. The more expensive set is a forged German steel Ergo chef set. This set is fairly high quality and the chefs knife has Granton edges. The second set appears to be lesser grade stamped Chinese steel with integrated steel handles. The price difference reflects the quality. This set would be fine for use outdoors or in situations you might not want to use your best knives for fear of loss or damage. 
  • builderdawg
    Options
    My wife bought me the two piece set a year or so ago.  I'm assuming it is the cheaper version.  The knives are serviceable, but not super high quality.  They cut meat, which I guess is their intended use.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,747
    Options
    no
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • 1911Man
    1911Man Posts: 366
    Options
    I just looked at these on the BGE site... Hard pass. At even the full price ($65) I wouldn't trust them to hold an edge or hold up at all. IIRC, I paid more than that for my smallest kitchen knife (4" paring). 
    I'm even more leery of them since it gives zero real information about the steel used. Never mind what the handle material is. IMO/IME, not giving that information is a mark of LOW quality and should be avoided.
    Large BGE with CGS Woo Ring, stone with stainless pan, Smokeware chimney cap, Kick Ash basket and Kick Ash can.
    Living free in the 603 (Pelham).
  • stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,684
    Options
    Novelty knives are NOT cool.

If you don't have a customer knife maker you're in with, get some Shuns and be done.
  • pgprescott
    Options
    HeavyG said:
    Nothing wrong with adding more BGE branded stuff to ones collection if that is what one is into.
    I doubt they are great knives (whatever that means) but so what? Keep em sharp and they'll be just fine... probably. Unless they feel really weird in your hand or some other thing that annoys you (too heavy, balance isn't to your liking, whateva). 
    There's a lot of snobbery when it comes to knives and a lot of things that might be of importance to a pro chef using their knives for hours each day may be of very little importance to a home chef that uses their knives for ten minutes each day. Just remember the one thing that is of primary importance to pro or home cook - keep em proper sharp.
    Ergo chef knives are used by some professionals. It’s not like they are junk by any means. 
  • RajunCajun
    RajunCajun Posts: 1,035
    Options
    Why tf would anyone overpay for a set of knives just because BGE put them out?
    My initial thought was that if they were decent knives the price point for the pair isn't all that bad.  
    The problem with a problem is that you don't know it's a problem until it's a problem, and that is a big problem.
    Holding the company together with three spreadsheets and two cans connected by a long piece of string.
  • RajunCajun
    Options
    Novelty knives are NOT cool.

If you don't have a customer knife maker you're in with, get some Shuns and be done.
    Own a few Shuns...great knives.
  • 1911Man
    Options
    HeavyG said:
    Nothing wrong with adding more BGE branded stuff to ones collection if that is what one is into.
    I doubt they are great knives (whatever that means) but so what? Keep em sharp and they'll be just fine... probably. Unless they feel really weird in your hand or some other thing that annoys you (too heavy, balance isn't to your liking, whateva). 
    There's a lot of snobbery when it comes to knives and a lot of things that might be of importance to a pro chef using their knives for hours each day may be of very little importance to a home chef that uses their knives for ten minutes each day. Just remember the one thing that is of primary importance to pro or home cook - keep em proper sharp.
    With unknown steel "keep them sharp" could be more effort than they are worth. IME, having quality knives means you don't need to sharpen them nearly as often compared with lower quality knives. 

I sharpened some knives for a friend of the family about six weeks ago. One of them (low quality knife) is already dull. The rest are still like razors. 
    Large BGE with CGS Woo Ring, stone with stainless pan, Smokeware chimney cap, Kick Ash basket and Kick Ash can.
  • pgprescott
    Options
    1911Man said:
    HeavyG said:
    With unknown steel "keep them sharp" could be more effort than they are worth. IME, having quality knives means you don't need to sharpen them nearly as often compared with lower quality knives. 

I sharpened some knives for a friend of the family about six weeks ago. One of them (low quality knife) is already dull. The rest are still like razors. 
    The green handle pair are German forged steel. They are Ergo Chef knives. I’m quite sure they would be more than adequate for their intended purpose. 

The other set, IDK. But they’re plenty inexpensive. 
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    My initial thought was that if they were decent knives the price point for the pair isn't all that bad.  
    I guess I just don’t see the point if you can find the base version elsewhere at (likely) a lower price.
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • pgprescott
    Options
    I guess I just don’t see the point if you can find the base version elsewhere at (likely) a lower price.
    Why buy a Duke tshirt when they sell cheaper ones that don’t say Duke on them at Walmart? Hmmmmm. 
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,344
    Options
    1911Man said:
    HeavyG said:

The beauty of softer steel is that a few swipes of a honing rod before use and you're good to go. Plus you get to feel all chef-like.  :)
    The problem with harder steels, especially when used in thin, low angle knives, is that they are much more prone to chipping/breaking.
    Shun knives have had a reputation for chipping for a long time. I don't really think that is because the knives are inherently defective in any way. I think it is because Shun is a mass marketer that spends a lot on advertising and a lot more people are likely to buy a Shun as their first (or sole) exposure to a Japanese style knife. If one does not learn to modify their knife technique when using their Shun they will find that they are far more fragile and unforgiving than a typical western blade.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• 1911Man
    Options
    HeavyG said:
    1911Man said:
    HeavyG said:

The beauty of softer steel is that a few swipes of a honing rod before use and you're good to go. Plus you get to feel all chef-like.  :)
    The problem with harder steels, especially when used in thin, low angle knives, is that they are much more prone to chipping/breaking.
    Shun knives have had a reputation for chipping for a long time. I don't really think that is because the knives are inherently defective in any way. I think it is because Shun is a mass marketer that spends a lot on advertising and a lot more people are likely to buy a Shun as their first (or sole) exposure to a Japanese style knife. If one does not learn to modify their knife technique when using their Shun they will find that they are far more fragile and unforgiving than a typical western blade.
    Never had any issue with any of the Shun blades I own.

@pgprescott Even at "full price" the set is $65. IMO/IME, that's not saying a lot about them. For some people, that might be expensive for kitchen knives. To me, that's dirt cheap. 
  • pgprescott
    Options
    1911Man said:
    HeavyG said:
    1911Man said:
    HeavyG said:

Never had any issue with any of the Shun blades I own.

@pgprescott Even at "full price" the set is $65. IMO/IME, that's not saying a lot about them. For some people, that might be expensive for kitchen knives. To me, that's dirt cheap. 
    Don’t quite get what you are insinuating? Inexpensive is always crap? Different strokes for different folks. I agree they are plenty affordable. My point is they are perfectly serviceable. 
  • RajunCajun
    Options
    I think I am gonna have a cocktail now.

Geaux Tigers!
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    Why buy a Duke tshirt when they sell cheaper ones that don’t say Duke on them at Walmart? Hmmmmm. 
    You cannot possibly be this dense, but you do make me wonder at times.
  • pgprescott
    Options
    It’s obvious that you are the one incapable of seeing a point of view other than the one you hold. Cheers to you genius boy. 
  • JohnEggGio
    JohnEggGio Posts: 1,430
    Options

Maryland, 1 LBGE
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    It’s obvious that you are the one incapable of seeing a point of view other than the one you hold. Cheers to you genius boy. 
    I mean I understand that your store sells BGE goods, and maybe you feel the need to toe the party line, I’m not sure.  But there’s little to no value added in wielding a basic knife that has the BGE logo on it vs one that does not.  If your point is that there is for dudes who are the ultimate fanboys of all things BGE, well, then you’ve got me I suppose.  I just find that view kind of silly, but nobody ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American consumer.
  • theyolksonyou
    Options
    John, you don’t carry your Shun knives around to show your allegiance and support of their institution?   Loser.  
  • pgprescott
    Options
    @JohnInCarolina before you fly off and respond. Do yourself a favor and go to ergo chef website and check out the pro series knives which is what the green handle BGE knives represent. Keep in mind they are asking 65 for a chefs knife and pairing knife. 

Ok now tell me how stupid it is. 
  • pgprescott
    Options
  • pgprescott
    Options
    John, you don’t carry your Shun knives around to show your allegiance and support of their institution?   Loser.  
    Maybe you and John can check out the value together. Oops. 
  • theyolksonyou
    Options
    Maybe you and John can check out the value together. Oops. 
    Maybe you should try to understand the point.  
  • RajunCajun
    Options
    OK guys, I am gonna run off to pick up another bottle of booze.  Gonna look for the Boones Farm cheap stuff.
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    I bring them to all of the Shun women’s volleyball tournaments!
  • HogFather
    Options
    Man what a bunch of aszholes  
    Fighting off the trolls 1 by 1
    Large Egg

Pig, KY