Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

how to keep smoke out of your cook

Options
I am relatively new to cooking with the egg. If i don't use flavored wood chunks in the grill i don't want a smoky taste.  How do you achieve the heat without the smoky taste? Is it in the method used to light the fire? Is it when you place the food on the grill? Any help or advice would be appreciated

Comments

• dmourati
    dmourati Posts: 1,268
    Options
    Try cooking at a higher temperature for shorter durations. I'd also advise to make sure your fire is burning clean before putting any food on. On a new bunch of lump charcoal, this can take as long as an hour from when you light it.
    Mountain View, CA
  • GrateEggspectations
    Options
    Two things:
    i) use a neutral (non-smokey) lump - e.g., Rockwood, Basques Sugar Maple, Maple Leaf, etc.; and
    ii) ensure the acrid white smoke clears before you begin cooking. 

Many of us have baked bread or even desserts that are non-smokey. Using the above advice, you should be able to replicate oven results pretty closely while using the Egg. 

Good luck. 
  • alaskanassasin
    Options
    Rockwood
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• dmourati
    dmourati Posts: 1,268
    Options
    Silly me, I forgot not everyone uses Rockwood. 
    Mountain View, CA
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options
    Once the initial smoke from light calms down wave your hand over the exhaust and then smell your hand. Good clean smell time to add food, dirty campfire smell wait another ten mins or so.  

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • shtgunal3
    shtgunal3 Posts: 5,661
    Options
    Once the initial smoke from light calms down wave your hand over the exhaust and then smell your hand. Good clean smell time to add food, dirty campfire smell wait another ten mins or so.  
    The nose knows.

LBGE,SBGE, and a Mini makes three......Sweet home Alabama........ Stay thirsty my friends .

• dgordon2nc
    Options
    Another vote for rockwood
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    Cooking with wood has a tendency to produce some smoke.  No way to get rid of that completely, really.  
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • milesvdustin
    Options
    Good lump (rockwood) and let the charcoal come up to temp AND let the white smoke clear up 

2 LBGE, Blackstone 36, Jumbo Joe

Egging in Southern Illinois (Marion)

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,898
    Options
    What the others said...but if you have had many cooks already then the baked on grease in your egg - particularly in your dome MAY have much-o smoke flavor which will be released during your cooks.

BTW I’m just curious - is the smoke aversion just yours or that of your wife and kids? 
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • ColtsFan
    ColtsFan Posts: 6,349
    Options
    I'll echo what everyone else has said.
    1)Make sure to use a quality lump.
    2)If you have cooked direct you may have nasty, fat soaked lump. This is particularly an issue with chicken. Use clean lump
    3) Make sure to burn off the VOC's. There shouldn't be visible smoke coming from the chimney
    4) Dirty/grease soaked platesetter/egg will produce atrocious smoke 
    ~ John - https://www.instagram.com/hoosier_egger
    XL BGE, LG BGE, KJ Jr, PK Original, Ardore Pizza Oven, King Disc 
    Bloomington, IN - Hoo Hoo Hoo Hoosiers!

• GoooDawgs
    GoooDawgs Posts: 1,060
    Options
    Go with the oven or sous vide. 
    Milton, GA 
    XL BGE & FB300
  • cookingdude555
    cookingdude555 Posts: 3,194
    edited December 2019
    Options
    When I want food just grilled, with no smoke taste, there are a few things I do. Lump is a factor, but following this method makes lump less of a variable. I like to use only the fuel I need for that cook, and get all of it burning with no visible smoke at all. Secondly, I cook on a grid higher up in the dome to accommodate for the hotter burning fire. I have done chicken like this many times. It makes the chicken taste grilled, but not smokey at all. The chicken is far from the heat source during the cook, like around six inches above the felt line. There are various raised grid on the market to accomplish this, or you can rig up your own with a smaller diameter grid (12”-14”) and some bolts that are used used like stilts from your main grid. 
  • 1911Man
    1911Man Posts: 366
    edited December 2019
    Options
    dmourati said:
    Silly me, I forgot not everyone uses Rockwood. 
    I don't use Rockwood...

As mentioned, wait until the white smoke is gone when grilling and you should be fine. Any smoke flavor will be light, if there at all. I usually have a bit of flavor wood left in the egg from the previous smoking session. But I also have zero issue with having some smoke flavor in the meats I do on the egg. IMO, it's part of the benefit of using a BGE.
    Large BGE with CGS Woo Ring, stone with stainless pan, Smokeware chimney cap, Kick Ash basket and Kick Ash can.
    Living free in the 603 (Pelham).
  • courierbob
    Options
    I don't mind a little bit of a smoke taste.  The wife hates smoke. Thusunless i want to make mall mown food and only my own food, i need to learn how to cook more smoke free.  And i plan on cooking breads and don't want any smokey taste on that.  Thanks for the comments and advice.  Always appreciated
  • alaskanassasin
    Options
    @courierbob what is your current method? Lump?
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,898
    Options
    I don't mind a little bit of a smoke taste.  The wife hates smoke. Thusunless i want to make mall mown food and only my own food, i need to learn how to cook more smoke free.  And i plan on cooking breads and don't want any smokey taste on that.  Thanks for the comments and advice.  Always appreciated
    Smart man who tries to please SWMBO! 

I’ve known two eggers whose wives and young daughters who got so nasty that both guys had to sell their eggs to TRY to keep peace in the family! 

BTW one told me later that both of his daughters told him after the divorce how the mother MADE them agree to say how bad the food tasted. 

And the other dude? Talk about a poor male with no nads...
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    Sell the egg. Buy a gasser. I don't even know anyone (except on here) who owns an egg, or any charcoal grill for that matter.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• vb4677
    vb4677 Posts: 686
    edited December 2019
    Options

Kansas City: Too Much City for One State - Missouri side
    2 Large BGE's, Instant Pot, Anova Sous Vide, and a gas smoker...
    Barbeque, Homebrew and Blues...
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options

Options

Options

Options

RRP said:
    Smart man who tries to please SWMBO! 

I’ve known two eggers whose wives and young daughters who got so nasty that both guys had to sell their eggs to TRY to keep peace in the family! 

BTW one told me later that both of his daughters told him after the divorce how the mother MADE them agree to say how bad the food tasted. 

And the other dude? Talk about a poor male with no nads...
    Ron did the dude who got divorced at least go back and buy another Egg after the anti-smokite SWMBO left him?
  • RajunCajun
    RajunCajun Posts: 1,035
    Options
    Large egg?  I'll give you $200 for it, no questions asked.  You can then buy a gas grill from the L people.  Smoky flavor problem solved.  It's what I do, I solve problems.  TIA. :)
    The problem with a problem is that you don't know it's a problem until it's a problem, and that is a big problem.
    Holding the company together with three spreadsheets and two cans connected by a long piece of string.
  • etherdome
    Options
    Unfortunately The only real answer here is to not use the egg. You can minimize smoke flavor but there is no fool proof way to eliminate it.
    Upstate SC
    Large BGE,  Blackstone, Weber genesis , Weber charcoal classic