Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Beef Kebabs - A First

I was given some Wagyu beef kebabs a while ago and they were just hanging out in the freezer.  I was thinking about grinding them up but then thought about how I don't make kebabs very often.  I then realized that I've never cooked beef kebabs, Wagyu or otherwise.

These dry aged, fatty nuggets of beef gold were marinated in a blend of coconut aminos, worcestershire sauce, fish sauce, and fermented black garlic paste overnight.   A red onion and bell peppers were diced and marinated at room temperature for an hour prior to being threaded on soaked wooden skewers.

Once the Egg got up to temp, on the skewers went.  Rain be damned.

Koshihikari rice was cooked as a side.

Dinner was served.

Smoky, succulent and savory.  Sometimes simplicity is best.
It's "Smokin Gal", not "Smoking Al".
Egging in the Atlanta GA region
Large BGE, CGS setup, Kick Ash Basket, Smokeware SS Cap,
Arteflame grill grate

http://barbecueaddict.com

Comments

• wardo
    wardo Posts: 398
    Are you a professional chef/cook?!  Those look leaps and bounds better than the kebobs I make lol

What temp did you cook them at and for how long?
    NC - LBGE
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727
    Outstanding. The marinade sounds delicious.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,880
    Not only do those rock, even the presentation makes me agree you are more than a backyard griller like most of us here. Please don’t stop sharing your advice!
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • caliking said:
    Outstanding. The marinade sounds delicious.
    No joke.  Although I did need to google fermented black garlic paste.
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • smokingal
    smokingal Posts: 1,025
    REB17 said:
    You must have a hell of a freezer for something like that to just be hanging out. 
    Nah, just a side-by-side fridge/freezer.  What I have is an inability to organize my freezer effectively.  Out of sight, out of mind.  So when I need something from way in the back, I end up finding cool things.  Like foodie Christmas.  Found a dry aged round roast, a whole dry aged bavette (3lb) and a Wagyu skirt steak.

wardo said:
    Are you a professional chef/cook?!  Those look leaps and bounds better than the kebobs I make lol

What temp did you cook them at and for how long?

Not a professional, just a foodie.  The cooking temp ranged from 350-400F and they were on the grill between 8-10 minutes.
    Arteflame grill grate

• Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Very very strong cook!

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,167
    Great cook and documentation, as always.  Was there a doubt, first kebobs or more...???  Magazine quality photos as well.
    Glad you subscribe to cooking the meat and veggies separately.  Best way I have found to nail the cook.
    You have some great friends...
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    I always cook them separately.  Good move, looks fantastic as usual.  

Do you have two grates stacked on top of one another? Kinda looks that way. 
  • smokingal

I'm using the CGS AR setup with grates on the lowest two levels.  The kabobs are on the top-most level.  The camera angle just makes it look like they are stacked.
    Arteflame grill grate

• smokingal said:

I'm using the CGS AR setup with grates on the lowest two levels.  The kabobs are on the top-most level.  The camera angle just makes it look like they are stacked.
    Thanks. I had contemplated this possibility, but thought they looked too close in the photo. 
  • RajunCajun
    RajunCajun Posts: 1,035
    Simply mouth watering.  Nicely done.
    The problem with a problem is that you don't know it's a problem until it's a problem, and that is a big problem.
    Holding the company together with three spreadsheets and two cans connected by a long piece of string.
  • Looks outstanding! Great looking cook!! 

Brandon - Ohio

• looks delicious! Any idea what cut they were?
    Albuquerque, NM - LBGE and an old rusted gasser that I use for accessory storage.

• smokingal
    Plutonium said:
    looks delicious! Any idea what cut they were?
    Thanks.  Kabobs are commonly cut from the sirloin, so that would be my guess.
    Arteflame grill grate

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,665
    those are some great looking skewers.  the butcher shops here have gotten pretty competitive here. they will match different cuts like flank for southwester kabobs. i see flank, sirloin, flap, even tritip etc in the kabob displays
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • smokingal
    those are some great looking skewers.  the butcher shops here have gotten pretty competitive here. they will match different cuts like flank for southwester kabobs. i see flank, sirloin, flap, even tritip etc in the kabob displays
    This gives me an idea.  Thanks!
    Arteflame grill grate

• Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,452
    Yum yum, impressive as usual!
    Do you have two grates stacked on top of one another? looks that way. 
    Speaking of double grating, I like to do that with a smaller grate on top when making pulled pork. Makes it easier to harvest the bottom stuck-on goodness indoor at the table. No fighting with hot grate and no risk of dropping the nuggets into hot grease pan below  =)  
    canuckland
  • Another great cook about to roll off page 100. 
    Snellville, GA