Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

New BGE built-in. Do I need a nest?

Options
AZEggDude
AZEggDude Posts: 8
edited December 2019 in EGG Table Forum
Hi all, newbie here!  My backyard project is wrapping up and I'm anxiously awaiting my XL delivery today!  Here is the spot where it will live.  Do I need a nest for an air gap?  It's going on a slab of granite under a cinder block base.  Thanks in advance!

Comments

• MO_Eggin
    MO_Eggin Posts: 282
    Options
    I would.
    LBGE - St. Louis, MO; MM & LBGE - around 8100' somewhere in the CO Front Range
  • buzd504
    buzd504 Posts: 3,824
    Options
    I say yes.
    NOLA
  • AZEggDude
    Options
    Do you guys say yes to protect the granite underneath?
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,346
    Options
    AZEggDude said:
    Hi all, newbie here!  My backyard project is wrapping up and I'm anxiously awaiting my XL delivery today!  Here is the spot where it will live.  Do I need a nest for an air gap?  It's going on a slab of granite under a cinder block base.  Thanks in advance!

What does that door open into?
    If it is storing anything that might be heat sensitive I'd get a nest. Otherwise I'd probably just set it on the granite, BUT, using a nest does also make it a bit easier/cleaner to scrape out the ashes into a pan.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• unoriginalusername
    Options
    You’d be surprised at the energy passed through. I used to put my egg on a concrete paver. The pacer cracked and the wood underneath was black ... I count myself luck and have used an air gap ever since. 

Without a gap I suspect the granite will crack 
  • Eggdicted_Dawgfan
    Options
    Another vote for an air gap. Let’s see the rest of the area. What you have shown so far is beautiful. 
    Snellville, GA

• SonVolt
    SonVolt Posts: 3,314
    edited December 2019
    Options
    I'm sure your builder isn't an idiot, but just to be safe - I  wouldn't consider granite load bearing. I'd be leery to place a heavy 220lb hot anything directly on top of that granite unless the slab is fully supported underneath and not just on the edges. Hard to tell from the pic. 
    South of Nashville  -  BGE XL  -  Alfresco 42" ALXE  -  Alfresco Versa Burner  - Sunbeam Microwave 
  • smbishop
    smbishop Posts: 3,053
    Options
    My large has a nest and my small uses the original feet, both on top of a granite slab similar to yours...

Southlake, TX and Cowhouse Creek - King, TX.  2 Large, 1 Small and a lot of Eggcessories.
  • Cornholio
    Cornholio Posts: 1,047
    Options
    I’m just commenting on a job well done diving right in before even having your egg! Looks nice
  • johnmitchell
    Options
    Welcome and great looking set up, I am in the yes to air gap camp. Super exciting times lay ahead,congratulations on the Egg.
    Greensboro North Carolina
    When in doubt Accelerate....
  • Skiddymarker
    Options
    Air gap is ideal, specially with an XL. That will hold fire for a day or two and that granite will be at the base temp within five or six hours. Air is your friend and it is free, once you buy the nest... =)
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • Matt86m
    Matt86m Posts: 471
    Options
    Ill be building in my xl and will use the nest. Been in/on a wood table and no heat signature on the wood beneath the egg. 

So my $.02 is yes.
    XL aka Senior, Mini Max aka Junior, Weber Q's, Blackstone 22, Lion built in, RecTec Mini 300, Lodge Hibachi, Uuni, wife says I have too many grills,,,,how many shoes do you have?

IG -->  matt_86m
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,171
    edited December 2019
    Options
    That table is too nice for a $2 cinder block or paver. Do it right with a table nest. 
  • AZEggDude
    edited December 2019
    Options
    Thanks all for the warm welcome, kind words and advice.  I called my dealer and he happened to have a nest in stock so air gap it is!  They got behind schedule today but I’ll have my Egg first thing tomorrow.  Very excited!  The backyard project is just about done and once in place, I’ll be sure to post some additional pics.  

The entire structure is cinderblock and the platform that the egg will sit on is made of block supported by rebar over the storage area.  I intend to use that drawer to store charcoal and wood chunks (in some sort of waterproof container). 
  • Matt86m
    Matt86m Posts: 471
    Options

You can see the stand that came with mine. Ill be using it again.
    XL aka Senior, Mini Max aka Junior, Weber Q's, Blackstone 22, Lion built in, RecTec Mini 300, Lodge Hibachi, Uuni, wife says I have too many grills,,,,how many shoes do you have?

IG -->  matt_86m
  • speed51133
    Options
    that's granite?? it is awfully thin.

what is supporting the weight under the shelf???
    XL BGE and Kamado Joe Jr.
  • stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,684
    Options
    Don't use a cinder block......it's a heat conductor, not an insulator.  Use the table nest, flower pot feet, some floor tiles to elevate it, etc.  But you need it to have an air gap.  Otherwise you are paying to heat your table.

I would make sure it's well supported too.

Why didn't they finish your granite around the hole they cut??
  • AZEggDude
    Options
    that's granite?? it is awfully thin.

what is supporting the weight under the shelf???
    It's a 2cm slab.  That's standard.  Some may come in a 3cm but it 2cm is normal.  Rebar going across and cinder block underneath.  Here you can see the structure below.

• AZEggDude
    edited December 2019
    Options
    Don't use a cinder block......it's a heat conductor, not an insulator.  Use the table nest, flower pot feet, some floor tiles to elevate it, etc.  But you need it to have an air gap.  Otherwise you are paying to heat your table.

The structure is made out of cinder block.  I ended up with a table nest though.

No need to polish the inside of the hole.  It's a pretty snug fit and you can't really see the inside of the lip because the Egg covers it up:

• MJG
    MJG Posts: 598
    Options
    nice looking set up. 
    Large Big Green Egg in a nest. North Shore of Boston.
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,346
    Options
    AZEggDude said:

The structure is made out of cinder block.  I ended up with a table nest though.

No need to polish the inside of the hole.  It's a pretty snug fit and you can't really see the inside of the lip because the Egg covers it up:

when you say "snug fit" - there really should be a gap all around the side of the Egg where it is surrounded by the tabletop. You don't want the Egg to be touching the edge of the cut hole.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• AZEggDude
    Options
    HeavyG said:
    AZEggDude said:

when you say "snug fit" - there really should be a gap all around the side of the Egg where it is surrounded by the tabletop. You don't want the Egg to be touching the edge of the cut hole.
    Snug might have not been the best descriptor.  There’s about a half inch between the egg and the granite.  Not enough that you can see the unpolished lip though.  My fabricator followed BGE’s built-in plans. 
  • alaskanassasin
    Options
    Nice setup very clean
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,684
    Options
    Sounds good, looks good!
  • Woadie
    Woadie Posts: 154
    Options
    Nice looking set up. 
  • wardo
    wardo Posts: 398
    Options
    That's a really cool looking setup you got going there.  I'm with the crowd in saging you want to leave a gap for airflow under the egg.  How often will you have everything fired up and cooking on that cook bench?!
    NC - LBGE