Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pit controller

Hello I know this has been asked many times but, I have a Stoker that is acting like it's on it's final leg. I have been exploring purchasing a new controller and haven't come to a conclusion. Which one do you guys recommend I'm looking for quality and easy operation.

Comments

• lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,708
    FB 500, just do it
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,684
    Flame Boss 500 if you are looking to replicate/upgrade what you had in the stoker.  It will monitor 3 meats and connects through Wifi.  It will also direct connect with your phone/tablet if an internet connection isn't available.
  • Flame Boss 500 if you are looking to replicate/upgrade what you had in the stoker.  It will monitor 3 meats and connects through Wifi.  It will also direct connect with your phone/tablet if an internet connection isn't available.
    Thanks is it easy to use? The Stoker I felt like lacked a lot of technology and ease of operation.
  • stlcharcoal
    jeffc5227 said:
    Flame Boss 500 if you are looking to replicate/upgrade what you had in the stoker.  It will monitor 3 meats and connects through Wifi.  It will also direct connect with your phone/tablet if an internet connection isn't available.
    Thanks is it easy to use? The Stoker I felt like lacked a lot of technology and ease of operation.
    Oh yeah, you just plug it in and it does rest.  Just like anything else in your house, there can always be an initial issue between it and your router, but they are just a phone call away if there is.  If you haven't had any problems getting your TVs, tablets, etc connected to your wifi, it shouldn't be a problem for you.

After that, the app is super easy to use, as are the notifications.  You can download the app and play with it now to see the interface.
  • lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,708
    edited December 2019
    jeffc5227 said:
    @jeffc5227 I came from a Stoker II , FB 500 much more user friendly 
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • Ok I'm sold where is the best place to buy on in terms of $$?
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    jeffc5227 said:
    Ok I'm sold where is the best place to buy on in terms of $$?
    Prolly the same price most everywhere. Where are you located?
  • For sake of choice, also check out Thermoworks signals+billows.

I just picked one up but haven't had a chance to use it. Planning a 10# packer cook this weekend though.
  • aem
    aem Posts: 146
    I just picked one up but haven't had a chance to use it. Planning a 10# packer cook this weekend though.
    Make sure you upgrade your firmware.  They recently added open lid detect.  I did a 13# packer a couple of weeks ago before the upgrade and was pleased.  The upgrade will make it better.  One thing to watch for, the Billows has a BIG fan and allows a lot of air through even when not running.  For low and slow you need to keep the top vent almost closed.
  • aem said:
    Make sure you upgrade your firmware.  They recently added open lid detect.  I did a 13# packer a couple of weeks ago before the upgrade and was pleased.  The upgrade will make it better.  One thing to watch for, the Billows has a BIG fan and allows a lot of air through even when not running.  For low and slow you need to keep the top vent almost closed.
    Appreciate the advice and looking forward to breaking it in.
  • speed51133
    speed51133 Posts: 691
    edited December 2019
    I have and love my fireboard. www.Fireboard.com

It has stellar reviews on amazingribs.
    https://amazingribs.com/ratings-reviews/thermometers/fireboard-fbx11-review 
    XL BGE and Kamado Joe Jr.
  • I am intrigued by the fireboard....thanks for sharing.
  • stlcharcoal
    edited December 2019
    I have and love my fireboard. www.Fireboard.com

It has stellar reviews on amazingribs.
    https://amazingribs.com/ratings-reviews/thermometers/fireboard-fbx11-review 
    hogfan412 said:
    I am intrigued by the fireboard....thanks for sharing.
    On thing to point out, Fireboard is not a controller, it's a monitor.  

Good unit though if you're just looking to monitor remotely.
  • speed51133
    speed51133 Posts: 691
    edited December 2019
    actually, fireboard will control a fan which controls the temperature. 
    https://www.fireboard.com/shop/fan-cable/

Easily control the temperature of your charcoal or wood fired smoker. Plugs into the auxiliary port on your FireBoard and designed to work with most fans! 12V power adapter included*.

DESCRIPTION

Take control of your fire with the FireBoard Drive Fan Control Cable. Plug in the Fan Control Cable and give your existing FireBoard(sold separately) the ability to maintain the temperature of your wood or charcoal fueled smoker.  Controlled through the iOS or Android app, set your desired smoker temperature or override and manually control the fan yourself.

Includes 12V Power Adapter*

More info:

• Uses standard FireBoard Auxiliary port
    • Bring your own fan! Drives most 12V fans with 2.5mm barrel plug (or order a fan here)