Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

PSA Franklin BBQ Pits-just around the corner PSA

Options
If you want a genuine Franklin stick burner here's the latest info from the company:
"Our pits will be going on sale in early 2020 and will retail for $3,950 plus shipping. "
No specs provided.
Great self present this time of year.  B) (not me...)

Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.

Comments

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    I just got an email asking how serious I was about buying one ( i was on the list day 1). Somehow $4000 for a smoker I have never seen any type of review or specs on seems a bit steep. I clicked the "I do not want to buy a Franklin Smoker but I do want to stay in the loop" button.
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,378
    Options
    I just got an email asking how serious I was about buying one ( i was on the list day 1). Somehow $4000 for a smoker I have never seen any type of review or specs on seems a bit steep. I clicked the "I do not want to buy a Franklin Smoker but I do want to stay in the loop" button.
    I got the same note and made the same choice. 
    BTW- the Jess Pryles stick burners made by Pitts & Spitts go for $3350 (24 x 36) or $3,999 (24 x 48).  FWIW-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,029
    edited December 2019
    Options
    I'm sure Franklin will sell plenty of them. Even at 4k. I'd imagine it's a great smoker. If it gets some people into playing with sticks it's hard to hate that. 
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • SonVolt
    SonVolt Posts: 3,314
    edited December 2019
    Options
    I've got a $300 deposit sitting at Shirley Fabrication with another 16 month wait.... if Franklin can ship sooner and I can get a refund on my deposit, well, I dunno what I'd do. I like to see them.  
    South of Nashville  -  BGE XL  -  Alfresco 42" ALXE  -  Alfresco Versa Burner  - Sunbeam Microwave 
  • thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,357
    Options
    Thanks for the heads up.
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • SciAggie
    SciAggie Posts: 6,481
    Options
    I got my LSG offset in less than 3 months. It also cost at loss less than Franklin's rig. I'm happy with the way it cooks too.
    It is a PITA as @The Cen-Tex Smoker said, but I knew that. You have to tend the fire often and it takes more effort to keep clean than my two eggs and wood oven combined.
    That said.....
    The family claimed the last brisket I cooked was the best they had ever eaten.
    (factor in poorly calibrated palates and low standards)
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • littlerascal56
    Options
    Once he gets a few sold, I would predict some You Tube videos from customers “showing” them off.  Then it’s just a matter of time before you see some “clones” being built by home shops to those dimensions & specs.  That’s what happened with the “Stumps Clone” gravity feed design.
  • JethroBodeen
    Options
    Plenty of stick burners readily available well inside that price range. No thanks!
  • thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,357
    Options
    I'm just looking to get a Pecos smoker sometime soon from Academy
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    edited December 2019
    Options
    For that kind of money and no specs I'd go all in at a Pitmaker Vault.  A little on the fence after losing a little over 6 minutes of my life on the Shirley professional break in seasoning  using the state-of-the-art methods... White Gardenia candle + 15# of pellets and Dove style plus care...i think I would've went with 8 cans of AquaNet but, I'm not a fancy Dove guy @The Cen-Tex Smoker
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • WeberWho
    Options
    For that kind of money and no specs I'd go all in at a Pitmaker Vault.  A little on the fence after losing a little over 6 minutes of my life on the Shirley professional break in seasoning  using the state-of-the-art methods... White Gardenia candle + 15# of pellets and Dove style plus care...i think I would've went with 8 cans of AquaNet but, I'm not a fancy Dove guy @The Cen-Tex Smoker
    On a somewhat relatable note, this was just posted over on the Brethren.

SmittyJonz said:
    "It's supposed to be $1200-$1250 at Academy. Academy ordered 30 Units to Start to See if they Sell. Alejandro does not know which Stores will get them because he is shipping 30 units to Academy Distribution center by January 1. It’s up to Academy if they order more or not - there is a chance there’s only gonna be 30 ever available.
    14 gauge. Bottom Half of Chute is 3/16”. 2” insulation except door is 1” insulation. Skins are welded in Corners then sheet metal screws - to keep production costs down to meet Academy Price restrictions. He said it’s been a major job to get this smoker worked out with Academy and the initial order done."

"The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,765
    edited December 2019
    Options
    WeberWho said:

SmittyJonz said:
    "It's supposed to be $1200-$1250 at Academy. Academy ordered 30 Units to Start to See if they Sell. Alejandro does not know which Stores will get them because he is shipping 30 units to Academy Distribution center by January 1. It’s up to Academy if they order more or not - there is a chance there’s only gonna be 30 ever available.
    14 gauge. Bottom Half of Chute is 3/16”. 2” insulation except door is 1” insulation. Skins are welded in Corners then sheet metal screws - to keep production costs down to meet Academy Price restrictions. He said it’s been a major job to get this smoker worked out with Academy and the initial order done."

Love my new gravity feed, closest smoke profile to a stick Burner from a non stick burner (for what equipment I have )...love my offset but the Gravity has become the workhorse ....Worth the investment for me
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    lkapigian said:
    WeberWho said:

SmittyJonz said:

Love my new gravity feed, closest smoke profile to a stick Burner from a non stick burner (for what equipment I have )...love my offset but the Gravity has become the workhorse ....Worth the investment for me

Gravity Fed is the only way i would go with an insulated cooker. I was headed that direction before I found the dishwasher. II'm still facinated by them but I'm cool with what I got. I don't cook as many big meals as I used to so I'm over-cookered (don't think that's a word) with the few that I have. I'm down to one BGE, the dishwasher and the roccbox.
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • littlerascal56
    Options
    I agree the gravity feed is nice.  Built this one and it cooked on “auto pilot” with my Flame Boss.  Great smoke profile, as I put my smoking wood in the ash basket, so all smoke went thru hot firebox and then to meat chamber.  Really belt temp well.

• littlerascal56
    Options
    Sold it to a buddy for $1500, and put a FB 300 on it for him.  He was happy!

• lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,765
    Options
    Sold it to a buddy for $1500, and put a FB 300 on it for him.  He was happy!

Bargain 
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • SonVolt
    Options
    South of Nashville  -  BGE XL  -  Alfresco 42" ALXE  -  Alfresco Versa Burner  - Sunbeam Microwave 
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    Ha man.....want ta buy a watch?
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • WeberWho
    Options
    SonVolt said:
    I read on the BBQ Brethren they also dropped the price by around 1K for the non-painted version if I'm not mistaking 

Minnesota
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,183
    edited March 2020
    Options
    Ha man.....want ta buy a watch?
    How about THE sports watch of the 80s?...

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=uYlOIKtYsos
  • bicktrav
    bicktrav Posts: 640
    Options
    I was up in Napa last weekend and scoped out Adam Perry Lang’s new restaurant. There were two huge propane tank stick burners out back with Franklin BBQ Pit temp dials. It was the first time I had ever actually seen a Franklin branded pit item, so I figured the release must be around the corner. 

Southern California
  • FanOfFanboys
    FanOfFanboys Posts: 2,615
    Options
    so just based on looking at it, the dimensions, and the marketing how does everyone feel about the price?

I would love to get a true smoker one day, something to sit on my deck. I do not need or want a giant machine, and the size of this seems right. But at $3k are there better, high quality, options or are they in line with a fair market price?
    Boom
  • FanOfFanboys
    FanOfFanboys Posts: 2,615
    Options
    I will say the natural steel look is nice. Once it gets a good patina it will be much better looking than something in powder coat, imo
    Boom
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Options
    Maybe I'm missing something, but from the pictures it doesn't look like there is any way to adjust the airflow. Either into the firebox or out the exhaust. I could be wrong. So how the hell do you adjust the temperature?

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,378
    edited March 2020
    Options
    so just based on looking at it, the dimensions, and the marketing how does everyone feel about the price?

I would love to get a true smoker one day, something to sit on my deck. I do not need or want a giant machine, and the size of this seems right. But at $3k are there better, high quality, options or are they in line with a fair market price?
    @FanOfFanboys - I have the smallest of the Lang stick burners, a Lang 36.  Give their site a look and there are many other stick burner options out there at lower $$ than the Franklin rig but w/o the name.    FWIW-
  • SonVolt
    edited March 2020
    Options

I'd say it's not totally outrageous considering the Franklin brand, but you could get a stock 24"x36" Shirley for $1,800. This is wild speculation b/c I haven't seen one of Aaron's smokers in person, but I would bet the craftsmanship isn't quite in the same league as a Shirley considering metal fabrication is the primary focus of the Shirley family business, not operating a BBQ restaurant.  I would be happy with either and actually prefer the simpler design of the Franklin b/c that's what I'm used to.  I've still got a deposit on a Shirley tho...
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,349
    Options
    Griffin said:
    Maybe I'm missing something, but from the pictures it doesn't look like there is any way to adjust the airflow. Either into the firebox or out the exhaust. I could be wrong. So how the hell do you adjust the temperature?
    Traditional  pits just rely on the size of the fire or coal bed and don't have louvered doors or smokestacks to control airflow.
    More heat = more logs/coals
    Less heat = fewer logs/coals
    I'm guessing Franklin's design works similarly. I could be wrong.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk