Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

BGE Unveils New Kickbutt Basket

JohnInCarolina
JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,869
edited December 2019 in EggHead Forum
OK, so they didn't call it that, but I'm surprised they didn't given the design:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i9cyZxzxd-E

Looking around the internets, looks like it will retail for about... $100.  

You have to hand it to HQ, they are nothing if not predictable.  
"I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike

Comments

• NCSmoky
    NCSmoky Posts: 515
    I’ve had one for a couple of months, it’s not bad but not worth $100. At least the XL has a divider insert. 
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,984
    They did not invent the Komodo cooker, either. Surprised they capitalized on someone else's idea? Not me. Don't like it that they have done so, yet again.

$100.00? Maybe there is a lifetime warranty for them as well?

"Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,008

"The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • dbCooper
    dbCooper Posts: 2,061
    Perhaps not a total rip-off of the product that works so well.  If the holes are the same diameter as the original grate will it not suffer the same shortcomings (plugging and/or poor airflow)?
    LBGE, LBGE-PTR, 22" Weber, Coleman 413G
    Great Plains, USA
  • I hear that factory second will be designated “kickbutt-hurt” baskets.

....I’ll see myself out. 
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,324
    While the KickAsh folks may have been the first to adapt a removable charcoal basket to fit mass market kamados, removable charcoal baskets have been used for decades in such things as UDS's. So I'll cut the BGE folks some slack on their riff on the idea.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• People get on them for not capitalizing, then the same for when they do. I think it’s great, and it’s different than the other offerings. I say well done. 
  • 1911Man
    1911Man Posts: 366
    From what I've seen, the Kick Ash Basket is still a better design. More air flow in the KAB, due to the design. Got one in my new large BGE as well as the Kick Ash can... IMO, these are two required items for any BGE (or BGE type) cooker.
    Large BGE with CGS Woo Ring, stone with stainless pan, Smokeware chimney cap, Kick Ash basket and Kick Ash can.
    Living free in the 603 (Pelham).
  • bobroo
    bobroo Posts: 143
    Mothership:

Admitting you have a problem is the first step to the cure.

Whoever has the patent on the colander sure is gonna be pissed.

Very happy to own a KAB!
    If it's brown, it's cook'in....If it's black, it's done ---my Grandfather     Medium BGE
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    My PK grill came with something similar with solid metal then large holes here and there. It restricts the air flow so bad I can only use it for low and slows cause it won’t get over 300 with the basket in. 
  • Looks like a restriction to me vs kab 
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• Dyal_SC
    Dyal_SC Posts: 6,024
    Is the dude in the video @The_Buffalo ?  Love my KAB. Think the BGE design is too much hardware for what it does. And way to expensive. Like way, way too expensive. 
    Watch the video.
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • Loved my KAB in the eggs.... love the included basket on the KJ3’s. just added a KAB to the Joe Jr 

people can still vote with their dollars 
  • Battleborn
    Battleborn Posts: 3,338
    Revolutionary. 
    Las Vegas, NV

Watch the video.
    That clears it up.
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• Jupiter Jim
    Jupiter Jim Posts: 3,351
    It's a bad product...…………..
    KAB is the real deal.

I'm only hungry when I'm awake!

Okeechobee FL. Winter

West Jefferson NC Summer

• piney
    piney Posts: 1,478
    I don't think Chad has anything to worry about, doesn't come close to the KAB 
    Lenoir, N.C.
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,432
    1911Man said:
    From what I've seen, the Kick Ash Basket is still a better design. More air flow in the KAB, due to the design. 
    Not to mention, shaking the ash off the leftover lump wouldn't be too efficient in BGE's design...

"I mean, I don't just kill guys, I'm notorious for doing in houseplants."  - Maggie, Northern Exposure

• Dyal_SC
    @The_Buffalo , does your newest product come with a warranty?  
  • SmokeyLopey
    SmokeyLopey Posts: 435
    edited December 2019
    I will give Ron credit for being able to deliver his pitch with a straight face, as though they had just revolutionized the BGE experience. 
  • Dyal_SC
    I will give Ron credit for being able to deliver his pitch with a straight face, as though they had just now revolutionized the BGE experience. 
    Well said. 
  • I run a “homemade” version built from expanded steel mesh.  Much more air thru the lump.  That new one doesn’t have that many holes to allow additional airflow over the original...IM0.
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    I run a “homemade” version built from expanded steel mesh.  Much more air thru the lump.  That new one doesn’t have that many holes to allow additional airflow over the original...IM0.
    Probably not less airflow than the factory cast iron grate.  I can see that being a problem with a pizza cook but not a low and slow.
    Agreed. All the holes line up with factory holes in the charcoal grate and the firebox. 
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,324
    I run a “homemade” version built from expanded steel mesh.  Much more air thru the lump.  That new one doesn’t have that many holes to allow additional airflow over the original...IM0.
    Probably not less airflow than the factory cast iron grate.  I can see that being a problem with a pizza cook but not a low and slow.
    They seem to be touting the ease of cleanup as its primary feature not creating forge-like temperatures.
    At some point the limiting factor for airflow is the size of the bottom vent opening itself and not how many holes there are in the BGE Fire Bowl or KAB.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    HeavyG said:
    They seem to be touting the ease of cleanup as its primary feature not creating forge-like temperatures.
    At some point the limiting factor for airflow is the size of the bottom vent opening itself and not how many holes there are in the BGE Fire Bowl or KAB.
    That’s not true because that thing clogs up and no air can get through your lump. The ash basket that I got with my PK is the same design and I couldn’t get it over 300 with the basket in. With the basket out and lump right on the grate there are no issues at all. 
  • stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,684
    I did the math one time......took the diameter of the stock grate, minus the diameter of the small holes.  It was something like 25-35% of the total area was open for air to pass through.  Then the grates I use to produce, or the KAB would let 60-70% of the air through.  I can't remember the exact numbers, but it was a little over double the airflow.