Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Interesting thoughts on Brining.

Options
acolle
acolle Posts: 133
I was reading a few discussion on the brining topic this morning. Figured this article is worth sharing if anybody is still up in the air on planning.
https://www.seriouseats.com/2012/11/the-food-lab-the-truth-about-brining-turkey-thanksgiving.html
Moved from upper left to Denver, CO | BGE LG & MMX + Kotaigrill [Hibachi]

Comments

• PigBeanUs
    Options
    I'm a dry-brine guy, all the way.  
  • HogFather
    Options
    I like it when it's wet
    Fighting off the trolls 1 by 1
    Large Egg

Pig, KY 
  • lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,759
    edited November 2019
    Options
  • KKorkmaz
    KKorkmaz Posts: 150
    Options
    Question about this, hoping this will keep me from having to make a separate thread. I want to use a wet bring for my turkey but I also want to leave it out overnight in my fridge to dry out the skin a bit. Is there anything wrong with brining on Tuesday overnight and leaving the turkey uncovered in the fridge overnight Wednesday to dry out the skin and ultimately cook on Thursday? Will this impact the brine at all?
    Chicago, Illinois
  • acolle
    acolle Posts: 133
    Options
    KKorkmaz said:
    Question about this, hoping this will keep me from having to make a separate thread. I want to use a wet bring for my turkey but I also want to leave it out overnight in my fridge to dry out the skin a bit. Is there anything wrong with brining on Tuesday overnight and leaving the turkey uncovered in the fridge overnight Wednesday to dry out the skin and ultimately cook on Thursday? Will this impact the brine at all?
    This is what I have traditionally done. Dropped it in brine late Tuesday night. Pulled it (dried it) late Wednesday. Then let it air chill in the fridge overnight before Thursday's cook.
    Moved from upper left to Denver, CO | BGE LG & MMX + Kotaigrill [Hibachi]
  • HendersonTRKing
    Options
    acolle said:
    KKorkmaz said:
    This is what I have traditionally done. Dropped it in brine late Tuesday night. Pulled it (dried it) late Wednesday. Then let it air chill in the fridge overnight before Thursday's cook.
    Same here. And I egg it with a kinda-sorta mad max technique. Always comes out great. 

This year I’m almost certain I’m gonna spatchcock it and then fridge sit. 
    It's a 302 thing . . .
  • Sea2Ski
    Sea2Ski Posts: 4,088
    Options
    acolle said:
    KKorkmaz said:
    +1.  My birds are drying right now. 

--------------------------------------------------
    Burning lump in Downingtown, PA or diesel in Cape May, NJ.
    ....just look for the smoke!
    Large and MiniMax
    --------------------------------------------------

Caliking said:   Meat in bung is my favorite. 
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    We dry age in-part because we want to decrease moisture to concentrate flavor, now we're adding moisture to make it more "juicy"?  I'm losing my frikkin' mind on this forum!
    We dry age in-part because we want to decrease moisture to concentrate flavor, now we're adding moisture to make it more "juicy"?  I'm losing my frikkin' mind on this forum!