Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Help! My wife is doubting Spatchcock Turkey

Options
500 Posts: 3,177
edited November 2019 in EggHead Forum
No, I’ve never made it before. I need a hand hold. She comes in the kitchen and I’ve got the wings cut off, ready to roast with carrots, celery, and onion for the homemade turkey stock for the make ahead gravy, and she says “So weren’t not having a traditional turkey?”  And, “That doesn’t look big enough.”  Now I start to panic. There will be 8 for the meal. I bought a 12 1/2# bird. Now I’m doubting myself. If I go 400* raised direct, it should take 2 hours to cook to 165* breast IT maybe?  Or maybe I just go to 155* breast and rest for a 1/2 hour, and it will rise to 165?  Now I’m thinking I need to go get a ham or a breast to supplement this. I’m going to dry brine with kosher salt under and on the skin for three days and then season and grill. Sorry to throw up here, but of course I want this to go well. Any help appreciated. 
I like my butt rubbed and my pork pulled.
Member since 2009

Comments

• Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    edited November 2019
    Options
    I usually count about 1 1/4lbs raw weight per adult for turkey.  So at my house that’s enough for 10 people unless everybody just wants white meat. 

IMHO 165 is overcooked for chicken/turkey white meat.  I run to 155 on white meat and with the legs to the back of the egg they are usually around 170° or so.  

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,180
    Options
    You’ll be fine. 
  • TigerTony
    TigerTony Posts: 1,078
    Options
    A 12.5lb turkey should be enough for 8 people.  I would do some appetizers and have some extra sides.  Also show them a tempting dessert so they will save some room for it .
    "I'm stupidest when I try to be funny" 
    New Orleans

• ColtsFan
    ColtsFan Posts: 6,342
    Options
    I run 375. Takes 1:45-2 hours for a 12lb bird. Legs pointed towards hinge. I pull when breast hits 157* let rest. I like to smack it with a little compound butter all over, under the skin first.

Like above. You got this 
    ~ John - https://www.instagram.com/hoosier_egger
    XL BGE, LG BGE, KJ Jr, PK Original, Ardore Pizza Oven, King Disc 
    Bloomington, IN - Hoo Hoo Hoo Hoosiers!

Options
    Thanks for the confidence. I have a critical audience cause most times it’s a win with anything that comes off the Egg. Feeling better now. Stock is coming along. 
    Member since 2009
  • RockyTopDW
    Options
    I spatched my first thanksgiving turkey @ 5 years ago.  The family refuses to have it any other way.  Friends and family say it’s the best turkey they’ve ever had.  I’d recommend using the platesetter, it makes it harder to screw up.  
  • JRWhitee
    JRWhitee Posts: 5,678
    Options
    The best turkey's I have cooked have been spatchcocked, you got this.

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • littlerascal56
    Options
    Usually do a 14# turkey for 10 of us, and still have leftovers. Do mine at 350 indirect.  165 breast, 180 dark meat.  They always turn out super moist.
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,485
    Options
    It's that damn Norman Rockwell painting, ain't it.   ;)

"Pro-Life" would be twenty students graduating from Sandy Hook next month  

• logchief
    logchief Posts: 1,415
    Options
    That stock looks like some good gravy :).  Your well on your way. I spatchcocked an organic chicken last night to about the same temps as @Mattman3969, breast was extremely juicy.  Looking forward to the finished pics.
    LBGE - I like the hot stuff.  The big dry San Joaquin Valley, Clovis, CA 
  • 7lenny7
    Options
    I cooked my first spatch chicken Friday night and it was the juiciest chicken I've ever had.  I cooked the breast to 165F.  BGE was around 350F, indirect.  I didn't time the cook.

Options
    Stock is done. Final step to make gravy will come Wednesday. 

Member since 2009
  • Eoin
    Eoin Posts: 4,304
    Options
    500 said:
    Thanks for the confidence. I have a critical audience cause most times it’s a win with anything that comes off the Egg. Feeling better now. Stock is coming along. 
    Stock looking good. Did you get the giblets as well?
  • Wooderson
    Options
    Chicks man!!!!  Like above,  you're good
  • Marshall85
    Options
    Do you let the bird sit out before throwing on or throw it on straight from fridge?
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options
    Start fire,set vents, spatch if that how your cooking, rub and on the egg. I’m sure others do it different ways but that is what works for me.  

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • GaryLange
    Options
    I bought a 20+ pound turkey like I do every year. My wife is Italian and her saying it if you don't have leftovers you didn't make enough food. I like having leftovers myself and I don't want anyone leaving hungry. We are only having four of us so I get a bunch of Turkey Sandwiches and our meals are ready for the next week. We always have our guest back on Friday for another dinner.
    Options
    Ended up getting pork tenderloin to supplement. I’m also make Pecan Pie bars. But I think there will be enough but maybe not much leftovers. Lesson learned.  At least an14# next year
    Member since 2009
  • pileit1971
    Options
    Go Grab a Split Turkey Breast and a couple Thighs to Throw on about half way or so, if you think you will need more meat for dinner and/or leftovers...
    Large BGE
    Camp Chef 4 burner Griddle

Near Cleveland, Ohio
  • thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,357
    Options
    Can't wait to see it done and hear how you're doing gravy. The only thing I don't like about doing a spatch is not having dripping for gravy.
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • HendersonTRKing
    HendersonTRKing Posts: 1,803
    edited November 2019
    Options
    I may spatchcock mine in support. SWMBO bought a 14 pounder and was pissed when I told her last night as I was brining it that it was PUNY. She said when she bought it we only expected 5 people at the table. We’re now up to 9 and will likely have 13. (Don’t ask, long story.)

I usually do what I call a modified mad max and it comes out great every time— lots of confidence in my method. Any thoughts on rubbing the now-brined and spatched bird with compound butter?  Thinking I’ll sit it in the fridge over night (per usual), use the sage butter before it goes on (it’s already made so why not), run raised indirect at 375-400 with an aluminum tray below to catch the juices. Can’t be bad, right?  Just need the intestinal fortitude to take the risk and just do it. 
    It's a 302 thing . . .
  • CornfedMA
    Options
    Crap! Now I’m thinking I may want to go spatchcock on my bird. Anyone ever spatched a 30 lb’er?
  • thetrim
    Options
    Wow!  30?  That's a huge bird!
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • bradleya123
    Options
    I'm spatchcocking our 25 pounder!!  For planning & timing purposes what is the approximate cook time at 375 indirect?
    Retired Navy, LBGE
    Pinehurst, NC

edited November 2019
    Options
    thetrim said:
    Can't wait to see it done and hear how you're doing gravy. The only thing I don't like about doing a spatch is not having dripping for gravy.
    @thetrim this is the make ahead gravy recipe I’m using. 
    https://www.allrecipes.com/recipe/230049/chef-johns-make-ahead-turkey-gravy/

I made the stock last Saturday with the wings, back, neck, and extra skin. Will uncover the salted bird today and make the gravy today. Will keep warm in a mini crock pot. 
    Member since 2009
    Options
    Gravy done
    Member since 2009
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    Dat gravy! I LOVE gravy :)

Lots of good tips above. I prefer 150-155F for the breast 165ish for the thighs. 

When setting up your platesetter, 1 leg in front and 2 towards the hinge , like a "Y". Bird goes on with legs pointing to the hinge. 

Good luck!

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • thetrim
    Options
    @caliking I set up my platesetter 180 deg opposite.  One leg at 12, one at 4, one at 8.
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95