Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Help! My wife is doubting Spatchcock Turkey

Options
2»

Comments

• thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,357
    edited November 2019
    Options
    @500   The gravy looks great!
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • HendersonTRKing
    Options
    Committed. 

It's a 302 thing . . .
  • thetrim
    Options
    Gravy is what held me back from spatching more.  This might just be my solution.   I'm pot committed this year, but who knows about a few weeks from now.
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • Chetscapes
    Options
    Spatchcock is the way to go
    500 Posts: 3,177
    Options
    thetrim said:
    Gravy is what held me back from spatching more.  This might just be my solution.   I'm pot committed this year, but who knows about a few weeks from now.
    I was the same way. Made gravy ahead for two years now. Not rushing tomorrow to finish gravy last minute. I added some fresh time after I was happy with the salt and pepper and the consistency of it. Now just warm in the mini crock pot tomorrow 
    I like my butt rubbed and my pork pulled.
    Member since 2009
  • wardo
    wardo Posts: 398
    Options
    When I snatched the first turkey, I put a drip pan under the bird and caught the drippings.  I was able to use them to make a delicious gravy.

I recommend the spatchcock bird.  I think the presentation is pretty good and the meat is VERY juicy.
    NC - LBGE
  • bradleya123
    Options

Retired Navy, LBGE
    Pinehurst, NC

• thetrim
    Options
    Great documentation from several people!  I'll do that next time.  Today's Mad Max took a little longer than expected and the egg didn't recover from putting the cold bird in quite as fast as I thought.  A 14.5lb bird took about four hours.  It was a great result, but just took a bit longer than planned.
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • HendersonTRKing
    Options
    No beating the spatch, regardless of SWMBO’s doubts. 

It's a 302 thing . . .
  • wardo
    wardo Posts: 398
    Options
    The spatchcock is always a winner =)

NC - LBGE
    edited November 2019
    Options
    Thank you all for the help through this. It did work out for the good. Easier carving, quicker more even cooking. Mrs. 500 said was very good. Win win. I’m committed to the spatch turkey from now on. A patching ahead and dry brining ahead allowed my to harvest the wings, back, neck, and extra skin to make the make ahead gravy with homemade stock  gravy also a winner.  
    Member since 2009
  • thetrim
    Options
    That looks amazing!  Great job!
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • Chetscapes
    Options
    time for a  turkey sandwich !
    Options
    I always have a leftover turkey sandwich the next day on white bread with mayo.  So tasty.
    Member since 2009
  • blakeas
    blakeas Posts: 244
    Options
    How long to cook a 20lb bird?  Was thinking 375 indirect
  • Greedygoat
    Options
    blakeas said:
    How long to cook a 20lb bird?  Was thinking 375 indirect

I spatched a 22lb bird this year at 350 indirect.  It took 3.5 hours.
    XL and a Mini-Max.
    Boca Raton, FL
  • Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Options
    500 said:
    Thank you all for the help through this. It did work out for the good. Easier carving, quicker more even cooking. Mrs. 500 said was very good. Win win. I’m committed to the spatch turkey from now on. A patching ahead and dry brining ahead allowed my to harvest the wings, back, neck, and extra skin to make the make ahead gravy with homemade stock  gravy also a winner.  
    Just catching up. Want to say "nice work"! Spatch is it, and the wife's opinion has been reversed! Downhill from here brother. Happy EGGing!
    Chris
    DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • Bentgrass
    Options
    Have spatchcocked the last 2 thanksgiving turkeys and without question the most moist birds with the least effort we have ever had.  
    1. Bettendorf, Ia with lots of time in Chattanooga, Tn.  LBGE, plate setter, ar, Looft lighter, maverick et-735, Rutland gasket, Smokeware SS cap, Kickash basket, and lots of cast iron.
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,491
    Options
    500 said:
    I always have a leftover turkey sandwich the next day on white bread with mayo.  So tasty.
    With, maybe, just a touch of mustard.

Whups, someone's at the door, gotta run!  :tongue:

Tin soldiers and Johnson's coming...

• Plutonium
    Options
    I spatched a 21lb bird for just the wife and I. Started about 300F and crept to 350F by the end. Came out great even in this storm! 
    Albuquerque, NM - LBGE and an old rusted gasser that I use for accessory storage.