Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pints vs pounds - any help here converting?

Options
Today I went to our local Kroger to buy 1.5 pints of fresh raw oysters. The very helpful deli lady said they don't sell them by the pint anymore so I said ok. The price was supposed to be $13.99 per pound so I asked for 1.5 pounds. When it rang up it was only $8.99 per pound so that even further confuses me! 

I'm just wondering if I bought enough oysters since in all these years I aways bought/used 1.5 pints in the recipe.

Guess I might answer my own question on Thursday when I make our favorite casserole to take, but I'd hate to be short ruining the reciepe, but being over is just fine! 
My name is Ron Pratt and I've posted here for 20 years as RRP. For a while in November I was unable to sign in.  So I reverted to this old moniker from years ago and just wandered in these woods as one_feral_kat  ^oo^~

Comments

• lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,767
    edited November 2019
    Options
    A pint is 16 oz by volume vs 16 oz by weight......never seen oysters sold by the pint ....sounds like you are short a bit
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    I think there is a saying “a pints a pound the world around” , no?
  • alaskanassasin
    Options
    Stick them in a pint jar
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• one_feral_kat
    Options
    Thanks for the replies, I guess math and old sayings dont always make ANY sense to recipes.

I just wouldn't want to put say 1.5 pounds of potato chips in HUGE container vs 1.5 pounds of oysters in a small casserole dish! 
    My name is Ron Pratt and I've posted here for 20 years as RRP. For a while in November I was unable to sign in.  So I reverted to this old moniker from years ago and just wandered in these woods as one_feral_kat  ^oo^~
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,350
    Options
    lkapigian said:
    A pint is 16 oz by volume vs 16 oz by weight......never seen oysters sold by the pint ....sounds like you are short a bit
    It's common on the east coast to buy shucked oysters at the grocery store by the half pint or pint.
    Number of oysters will, of course, vary by size. I have no idea what a pint of average sized oysters might weigh tho but I would guess maybe a pound and a half or a bit less.

“Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• one_feral_kat
    one_feral_kat Posts: 14
    edited November 2019
    Options
    Thank you for your reply!
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    They use volume as well as weight to sell most foods in cans and jars.  Ounces/cups/pints/quarts and gallons are volume, they equate to weight on the basis of a density of water.  One pound = 1 pint. 

Oysters are sold by the volume unit when chucked.  Same with anything in oil or water....olives, beans, corn, etc.  There is a "net weight" of whatever it is you are buying drained of liquid.  For oysters, the net weight it about half of the sold-as weight. It varies.  You should get all oyster "liquor" with the oysters.  Obv, not all vendors are as honest as the next, but the bottom line is the recipes call for the gross weight and just don't worry about it after that.
    Options

Any reason you couldn't drop that pint and a half on a kitchen scale?

Bob

New Cumberland, PA
    XL with the usual accessories

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,776
    Options
    i only see them sold in measured containers, pint, quart etc. im sure they sell them by the weight in the container though. local fishmonger is shyers but everyone calls them shysters ;) sounds like yo didnt get enough, what type of container did they put it in and was the weight on the container, it does not add up
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it