Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

100+ Day Dry Aged A5 Wagyu Packer Brisket

smokingal
smokingal Posts: 1,025
edited November 2019 in EggHead Forum

Back in July, I purchased an A5 packer brisket from Crowd Cow.  I set about dry aging it for
a previously undetermined amount of time.

photo IMG_01_zpsgw7ukcsojpg

After much delay, I finally got around to trimming it after 108 days and ended up cooking it a
few days later.

photo IMG_02_zpso2mn6yxijpg
photo IMG_03_zps7ryp4rwxjpg
photo IMG_05_zpsvnamen5gjpg
photo IMG_04_zps89x0r5dbjpg

The brisket was coated with black garlic paste and seasoned with SPOG, utilizing Hawaiian
black lava salt and Phú Quốc black pepper.

photo IMG_69_zpsia8n0uagjpg
photo IMG_15_zps8j8rhibyjpg
photo IMG_16_zps9fcqxsbfjpg

It went on the BGE at 225F and when it hit 165F, it was wrapped in butcher paper.

photo IMG_17_zpsaqdu6ywmjpg
photo IMG_18_zpsvs3snecjjpg
photo IMG_19_zpsg0ar7h66jpg

After 12 hours, the thing was jiggling like jello at 198F and was pulled and FTC’d for 4 hours.

photo IMG_20_zpsxja4hht0jpg

Flat:

photo IMG_22_zpsdxqxsacfjpg
photo IMG_21_zpssrjmzcdzjpg

Point:

photo IMG_47_zpskpg3xmvojpg
photo IMG_48_zpslrtqe5dijpg

The flavor is hard to describe as it’s not like any other dry aged beef that I’ve tried before. There was a deep dry aged flavor to it upon first bite and that amplified the built-in richness of the meat.  Utterly addictive is the best descriptor.  It became quite clear that the best way to enjoy this brisket is to consume it alone with a side of sauce.  I still made attempts to showcase the brisket as best I could.

Brisket sandwiches were in order, so I started off the first meal by making brioche-style sandwich rolls and bbq sauce using some of the brisket au jus.

photo IMG_23_zps9xzizef0jpg
photo IMG_24_zpsombly9gojpg
photo IMG_25_zpsreexwvd0jpg
photo IMG_28_zps3uld7ixzjpg
photo IMG_30_zpsggxxqcr1jpg
photo IMG_26_zpsycglaqrxjpg
photo IMG_27_zpsbceq3my4jpg

Rendered dry aged A5 Wagyu fat was heated and used to cook some fries.

photo IMG_29_zps6mhjnamzjpg
photo IMG_31_zpsqrb7bubgjpg

Some meat from the flat was sliced and piled onto a bun and served along with the fries.

photo IMG_32_zpsxoftzsyqjpg
photo IMG_33_zpsxha1pq8cjpg
photo IMG_35_zpsz9pscoobjpg
photo IMG_34_zpsl0hf4t0zjpg

The brisket paired with the sauce made the homemade bun unnecessary.  Cooking the fries
in dry aged A5 Wagyu tallow yielded a potato chip-like crunchy exterior, a creamy, fluffy as a
cloud interior, and a decisively buttery taste.

I also tried the brisket flat on some plain white artisanal bread and found the bread was still
extraneous.

photo IMG_49_zpsw4ugvr0zjpg

Next I made a chopped brisket melt.  Now I was getting somewhere.

photo IMG_51_zpscsvp432mjpg
photo IMG_52_zpsxcdqqvdcjpg
photo IMG_53_zpsgprzv999jpg

A few breakfast meals were also in order.  The first was a brisket, egg and cheese sandwich
utilizing a homemade sandwich roll with the top and bottom parts cut off, which was then
basted in A5 Wagyu brisket fat.

photo IMG_36_zpsz8gfot0zjpg
photo IMG_37_zpsyf7zfsotjpg
photo IMG_38_zpsw6ogcobijpg
photo IMG_39_zpsrhzoznmljpg
photo IMG_40_zpsyhjkeseejpg

This was the best breakfast sandwich I’ve ever made or eaten.  A pure delight down to the
last bite.

Japanese milk bread was originally made to make sandwiches, but I chose to use it for french
toast instead.  Rendered A5 brisket fat was used in lieu of the butter for which the recipe called.

photo IMG_06_zpsb3pxxa1wjpg
photo IMG_08_zpssal7kcfxjpg
photo IMG_09_zpscyiyoaxrjpg
photo IMG_10_zpsv98xlt6zjpg
photo IMG_11_zpsyynafvudjpg
photo IMG_12_zpsrd6n9vf2jpg
photo IMG_13_zps73d9ftrxjpg
photo IMG_14_zpsmqh30ptrjpg

Sliced brisket flat and eggs were paired with the french toast, which was topped with powdered
sugar and a homemade lilikoi syrup.

photo IMG_42_zpsysv75nusjpg
photo IMG_43_zpsligu2s6wjpg
photo IMG_44_zps5utt7tz0jpg
photo IMG_41_zpsdufbkru5jpg
photo IMG_45_zpsvrwggtqtjpg
photo IMG_46_zpseyvcat66jpg

Fried, dry aged A5 Wagyu brisket is delicious.  The crust that forms on it is just like what forms on dry aged steaks and yet it maintains it’s juicy fattiness.  The milk bread french toast was one of the most enjoyable things I’ve eaten in a very long time and paired nicely with the brisket. The bread’s crumb was sumptuous, soft and infinitely supple, and the sweet yet tart lilikoi syrup brought everything together.

The point was beyond fatty and I found it unsuitable to eat straight up so burnt ends were in
order.  Stubbs BBQ sauce was mixed with honey and the remaining brisket aus jus, poured
over the cubed A5 brisket point and smoked at 250F using cherry wood chunks.

photo IMG_55_zpskqkobmeyjpg
photo IMG_56_zpswbsq4jrejpg
photo IMG_60_zpsxvfkcifmjpg

A batch of mac and cheese was made and topped with a mixture of A5 brisket cracklings,
panko bread crumbs and parmesan cheese.

photo IMG_57_zpshhbx3uybjpg
photo IMG_59_zpszqtholzsjpg
photo IMG_61_zps1puxhdscjpg
photo IMG_50_zpsugnukbxxjpg
photo IMG_63_zpssssydl0bjpg

Apple butter polenta cornbread was made using brisket fat drippings in lieu of butter.

photo IMG_58_zpsptv2kk3vjpg
photo IMG_62_zpsquqh6s1njpg
photo IMG_64_zpsoiwgbhdhjpg

Once the burnt ends were caramelized and jiggly, dinner was served.

photo IMG_65_zps2o6oihdejpg
photo IMG_66_zps1d7i0kc5jpg
photo IMG_67_zpsz8g0zlapjpg
photo IMG_68_zpsw4x0mckwjpg

This last meal was the best.  Those burnt ends were just epic. Smoky, sweet, spicy, sticky nuggets of sheer joy.  Incorporating the Wagyu cracklings into the crumb topping was a nice touch and provided some much needed texture into what was a cheesy, super creamy delight.  The polenta cornbread is always delicious, but using the rendered brisket fat in place of butter gave the bread a very unique, intoxicating flavor.

So what’s the verdict?  Was it a worthy purchase?  Yes.  Will I repeat this?  No, not
unless I get the next one for free.

It's "Smokin Gal", not "Smoking Al".
Egging in the Atlanta GA region
Large BGE, CGS setup, Kick Ash Basket, Smokeware SS Cap,
Arteflame grill grate

http://barbecueaddict.com

Comments