Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Maintaining low temps for smoking brisket

Options
I have an XL and have been unable to maintain temps below 325 degrees (need to be at 225). If I close the vents within a quarter of an inch or less. The fire wants to die. Am I using too much coal? Am thinking I would need a decent amount in order to smoke for 12 hours. Once the coals get going the temps just continue to climb. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
thanks

Comments

• lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,767
    Options
    Welcome ...225 can be a misconception...mime is happy at 295-325 without using a control...also make sure you are calibrated
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • alaskanassasin
    Options
    I dont have a xl but running the vents at .25 inch will not snuff out the charcoal.
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    225 is not the number on a Kamado. Run it 260-275 and I think you will be happy with the way it locks in around there. It will also produce the best results and cut your cook time by half. Hour per lb at 260 is pretty close to what I see. I find it’s closer to 2 hrs per at 225. That’s way too long and gives you no better results. Bump it up and see what you think. 
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • Shiff
    Shiff Posts: 1,835
    Options
    If the temperature keeps climbing, maybe you have an air leak that is feeding the fire.  Check to make sure you have a good seal when the lid is closed.  When I have my vents open 1/4 inch, it stays pretty close to 250-275 degrees.  Also check your thermometer calibration.
    Large BGE
    Barry, Lancaster, PA
  • stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,684
    Options
    Is your temp gauge calibrated?  Should have no problem running below 250.

A kick ash basket can also help with this.
  • littlerascal56
    Options
    My XL has a sweet spot of 275, and that’s with good gaskets.  Any lower and I have to use the Flameboss 300.  I do a lot of butts at 300 with the FB.
  • xfire_ATX
    xfire_ATX Posts: 1,115
    Options
    This was a great guide when I got started but it the pics arent working anymore  https://eggheadforum.com/discussion/718915/visual-guide-to-vent-settings-temperatures

Ive hardly got any gasket at this point but I can stay under 250 easy enough if I plan for it.

Small starting fire
    Roughly a credit card width on bottom vent
    hardly open on either DFMT or the new BGE Top

XLBGE, LBGECharbroil Gas Grill, Weber Q2000, Old Weber Kettle, Rectec RT-B380, Yeti 65, Yeti Hopper 20, RTIC 20, RTIC 20 Soft Side - Too many drinkware vessels to mention.

Not quite in Austin, TX City Limits
    Just Vote- What if you could choose "none of the above" on an election ballot? Millions of Americans do just that, in effect, by not voting.  The result in 2016: "Nobody" won more counties, more states, and more electoral votes than either candidate for president. 
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,776
    Options
    when the egg is coming up on 210, close the lower vent down on a toothpick, close the daisy holes down on toothpick. whatever temp you are cooking at, you are cooking brisket. open the vents up after 10 hours to get it to finish. make sure theres no ash in the pit and the ash grate is clean before firing it up
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • unoriginalusername
    Options
    lkapigian said:
    Welcome ...225 can be a misconception...mime is happy at 295-325 without using a control...also make sure you are calibrated
    Agree on the calibration 100%.  I've completely moved my view of low and slow to 250+ as well after years of trying to master holding 200 temps only to find the food wasn't better, it took longer and there was less opportunity for frustration 

That being said, if you're bent on holding true low and slow in a kamado here is what I learned

1). A charcoal basket helps with airflow vs. the stock charcoal grate.  With too much smoking wood / some brands of charcoal your ash can extinguish the fire.

2) building your charcoal fire placement by hand helps a lot.  Placing the first few large pieces of charcoal as well as your smoking wood in a campfire like placement helps airflow and gives space for ash.  I often prioritized the middle of the Egg before then dumping the bag on top and around knowing underneath there is a path for air. 

3) Wood chunks on the bottom vs. top help smoulder / clean smoke that lasts longer than chips or chunks on top that occasionally ignite and give you false temp readings.  I.e. a large chunk of wood might ignite and send a flame up the front of the grill and the dome temp will start climbing and you might react to this only to find once that piece of wood stops burning you've choked out your fire.

4) how you light your fire matters.  Throwing in two or three fire cubes and haphazardly lighting your egg isn't as reliable as planning a burn path.  Using a loof lighter or Map torch I would in the centre slightly towards the front of the egg start a downward concentrated fire.  This is works as you're hand built air channel is feeding this, plus it accommodates for the burn preference of the egg to migrate towards the rear.  Plus as charcoal burns and collapses fresh charcoal falls on top and keeps the fire running for long slow cooks.

5) how you come up to temp matters.  I've had best results when I light the fire and let the Kamado come up to 225 with the top and bottom vents open as this helps get some heat into the upper ceramic which will help with operation / consistency.  Once I hit 225 I load in the platesetter and cooking grids.  I also close the bottom damper to about two fingers width and close my daisy wheel from wide open to just the circles fully exposed (about 400 if you left it), reEGGulator to about half open, SS cap to about half open.  As the temp recovers from ~180 back up towards your 225 slowly continue to adjust just the top vent working towards your final setting so that it hits 225 gradually.  

OCD?  Likely but this approach would allow 18-20 hours of set it and forget it consistency and I rarely had to make any adjustments.  The only time it needs some tweaks is spring and fall when the sun temp vs a cool night might need a little more fire to keep the same temps that you were seeing in the middle of the afternoon in direct sun.  Hope that helps, and if all else fails there are some great control units that will take the guesswork out of it  

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,776
    Options
    i did not see this was your 2nd post.  dont get your coals going, just get a tiny fire started. wait for the black smoke to disappear with your vents mostly shut, it does not need to get going hot at all. its hard to maintain a low heat fire with to much lump lit. think lots of lump, but just a couple burning and control that
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it