Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

How many on a large?

Hello Ladies and Gents,

Doing some 3/1/1.5 ribs and was wondering how many racks I should be able to fit comfortably.  I have seen photos of the ribs rolled in a roll....how does that work out?  I usually cut my racks in half and stand them up in a stainless rack and lean two half racks on the ends.....followed by wrapping them in foil and stacking them up....and then the magic happens in the last segment when they get basted every 15 or so minutes.  More than five during the basting seems crowded.  Could I be doing it better and getting more ribs on my large?

Thanks
The problem with a problem is that you don't know it's a problem until it's a problem, and that is a big problem.
Holding the company together with three spreadsheets and two cans connected by a long piece of string.

Comments

• td66snrf
    td66snrf Posts: 1,821
    What type of ribs? 
    XLBGE, LBGE, MBGE, SMALL, MINI, 2 Kubs, Fire Magic Gasser
  • RajunCajun
    RajunCajun Posts: 1,035
    St Louis
    The problem with a problem is that you don't know it's a problem until it's a problem, and that is a big problem.
    Holding the company together with three spreadsheets and two cans connected by a long piece of string.
  • lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,708
    edited November 2019
    How many racks do you need? You can squeeze quite a few with vertical racks etc howevwe flow across the ribs is compromised ....12 ribs per rack +- if just cooking for a couple people why overcrowd it...personally I'd go No more than 4 but you can pack them in
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • RajunCajun
    lkapigian said:
    How many racks do you need? You can squeeze quite a few with vertical racks etc howevwe flow across the ribs is compromised ....12 ribs per rack +- if just cooking for a couple people why overcrowd it...personally I'd go No more than 4 but you can pack them in
    I’ve done 4 many times.  Would love to squeeze 5 this time 
  • Skewer them all together and stand in end for the first part of cook.  When you foil you can stack.  Then they’ll be smaller for last part, skewer again if needed.  I bet you could do 6-8 racks. 
  • On. Not in.  Edit button broken. 
  • lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,708
    lkapigian said:
    I’ve done 4 many times.  Would love to squeeze 5 this time 
    You could squeeze it in, that's 60 ribs +-
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    20 racks

https://eggheadforum.com/discussion/62119/20-racks-of-ribs

Read thru the thread. "Unknown" is Chef Will, the guy who did the cook.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• RajunCajun
    20 racks

I saw that post years ago.  I would question the whole air flow aspect and that many ribs would make it tough for me to baste them individually in the last hour.
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    20 racks

I saw that post years ago.  I would question the whole air flow aspect and that many ribs would make it tough for me to baste them individually in the last hour.
    Agreed. Plus, it's a direct cook! And yet he seemed completely satisfied with them. I guess the point is, if he can do 20, anything less than that is probably possible.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• RajunCajun
    20 racks

Agreed. Plus, it's a direct cook! And yet he seemed completely satisfied with them. I guess the point is, if he can do 20, anything less than that is probably possible.
    True, good point.  I have my doubts but will leave it at that.

Geaux Tigers!
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,665
    with a raised setup its pretty easy to have 5 racks standing in a rib rack, two levels, two rib racks, ten racks total. thats where the adjustable rig, spider, and stone comes in handy and you need to move flip more often. i wouldnt have a problem with the chef wil 20 something cook done direct, but i would have done the last 10 minutes on a hot weber gas grill to finish them off to get them crisped up. direct cooks with ribs are done slower around 220 dome, i do ribs direct often. you want to cook babybacks or small st louis with a double grate setup and it does work well
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • RajunCajun
    with a raised setup its pretty easy to have 5 racks standing in a rib rack, two levels, two rib racks, ten racks total. thats where the adjustable rig, spider, and stone comes in handy and you need to move flip more often. i wouldnt have a problem with the chef wil 20 something cook done direct, but i would have done the last 10 minutes on a hot weber gas grill to finish them off to get them crisped up. direct cooks with ribs are done slower around 220 dome, i do ribs direct often. you want to cook babybacks or small st louis with a double grate setup and it does work well

Thanks for the advice.  I have the CGS two-tier setup and love it for when I do ribs as it allows a second grate and more area to set the ribs flat.  I have 5 slabs in the marinade and will see how it works out.

Geaux Tigers!
  • shtgunal3
    shtgunal3 Posts: 5,629
    I have no advice for the ribs but Roll Tide!

LBGE,SBGE, and a Mini makes three......Sweet home Alabama........ Stay thirsty my friends .

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Fun thread, and the memory of Chef Will and the picture of 20 racks. haha. That's not good cooking, but that post sure got some mileage :)

Airflow is the key, and I am pretty comfortable with 5 racks in a rib rack. You could easily stretch 2 more in by laying them on top or propping them up here or there, but you'd have to rotate them every now and again. I rotate anyway, even with 5 in a rib rack. If necessary, cut a couple of the small bones off the small end to make them a little shorter to allow you to close the lid without cramming.

So, my final answer....LOL. Comfortably 5. And with a little extra effort, 7.
    Happy cooking brother!
    Chris
    DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ