Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT - Refrigerator Replacement - OT

I'm very pleased with my Bosch dishwasher that I was referred to on this forum and thought I would go to the well again.
My fridge is 13 years old and ice/water dispenser is toast. I'm going to move it to the garage for more storage (beer/meat).
I'm soliciting suggestions as to what brands to stay away from and am hoping to procure it from Costco.
They currently have two brands on sale and the reviews aren't good. Hopefully the egghead universe can steer me in the right direction. Thanks for the help.
LBGE, 36" Blackstone, Anova Pro
Charleston, SC

Comments

• Thanks, I remembered seeing this but searched for refrigerator and it didn’t show up.
    Charleston, SC
  • I have a GE that's alright. It's not yet 2 years old but keeps food cold. 

2 LBGE, Blackstone 36, Jumbo Joe

Egging in Southern Illinois (Marion)

• lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,708
    edited November 2019
    I just got a full refund on my Samsung Showcase for the icemaker debacle .......I think no matter the brand avoid ice makers in the fridge compartment and for me in the future I wouldn't get anything in the door

Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • I’m actually contemplating the LG with craft ice for my scotch. It’s embarrassing.

Charleston, SC
  • lkapigian
    Highly recommend an extended warranty no matter the brand ( and I am not an extended warranty fan )
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • We just had an appliance repairman here for some work on our oven. I asked him the best quality fridge out there and he said Whirlpool hands down. Told him I wasn't happy with the Samsung that is in the house we just bought and he said junk it first time something breaks, they can't even get parts for them or LG.
  • MJG
    MJG Posts: 598
    I’m actually contemplating the LG with craft ice for my scotch. It’s embarrassing.

LOL. I saw that add. Appliance repairman came today and put a new $300 board in my fridge. I had told the wife if we needed a new one I was going to be ballin’. 
    Large Big Green Egg in a nest. North Shore of Boston.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,669
    i have a 1970's almond and a 1970's harvest gold, i think they are ge but would have to look. i dont think anythings ever been done to them =)
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Wolfpack
    Wolfpack Posts: 3,551
    Fish- we have seen pics of your empty fridge. Those things may have stopped working years ago and you haven’t noticed. Plus it’s November in Maine- 

Fridges? We don’t need no stinking Fridges
    Greensboro, NC
  • I have a whirlpool and have been very happy with it. 
    DFW - 1 LGBE & Happy to Adopt More...
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    I have a Thermodynamics Sadi Carnot
    I just got a full refund on my Samsung Showcase for the icemaker debacle .......I think no matter the brand avoid ice makers in the fridge compartment and for me in the future I wouldn't get anything in the door

How did you get this? I tried and tried and they just told me it was out of warranty (it was a year old) 
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • lkapigian
    lkapigian said:

How did you get this? I tried and tried and they just told me it was out of warranty (it was a year old) 
    Extended warranty lemon clause 
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • lkapigian said:
    lkapigian said:

Extended warranty lemon clause 
    Good call on the extended warranty. This is by far the worst home appliance I have ever owned. The ice maker was just part of it. All the shelves in the refrigerator doors fell apart and now the replacements are falling apart (out $300 in that) The ice maker dropped on to the flex drawer and shorted out the thermostat and controls ($450) for that and I’ve had 2 new ice makers installed $600) all broken again in months. This thing is going out to the garage- but I have a 25 year old whirlpool that works perfectly out there already-except for the ice maker. Never again with anything in the door
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • lkapigian
    I bought it on a " black Friday " sale for 2400...came home fro.m Mexico a couple weeks ago to find a check for 100% of the money from lowes warranty....next day service provider called me to confirm my appt to install the parts ( I'm sure paperwork for crossed ) guy came put, been working fine Eve since ...
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • Spaightlabs
    Spaightlabs Posts: 2,349
    buy once, cry once.  Bite the bullet and get a sub zero.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,669
    its a cheap kenmore 18, gin was cold, still works =) probably costs 20 bucks more to run than a new basic model and theres that filling the ice tray thing
    fukahwee maine

• buy once, cry once.  Bite the bullet and get a sub zero.
    That's good advice and normally my motto, but I can't get myself to put down $10K on a fridge.
    I can gamble three times on a $3K fridge and still be up $1k at the end.
    Charleston, SC
  • Toxarch
    Toxarch Posts: 1,900
    I've got a Sub Zero. It's 32 years old now. Ice maker was replaced ($$$) 15 years ago and broke again within a year. It's good for its age but I would never buy one for a house again. 
    Aledo, Texas
    Large BGE
    KJ Jr.

Exodus 12:9 KJV
    Eat not of it raw, nor sodden at all with water, but roast with fire; his head with his legs, and with the purtenance thereof.

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    If I had a kitchen to build from scratch, I'd build it like a commercial kitchen.  Commercial equipment is designed to be abused in heavy daily use and serviced.  It costs more than the plastic crap sold at box stores but it doesn't only hold up, it has a lower depreciation curve after time.
    If I had a kitchen to build from scratch, I'd build it like a commercial kitchen.  Commercial equipment is designed to be abused in heavy daily use and serviced.  It costs more than the plastic crap sold at box stores but it doesn't only hold up, it has a lower depreciation curve after time.
    was looking at klondike case fridges years ago, all the mechanical components are in the basement and easy to work on. the company is now out of business though. they had side by sides, free standing, wood of your choosing, glass, no glass, all custom and no noise in the room

Customized Commercial Refrigerator

fukahwee maine