Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT Solo Stove fire pit

Options

Comments

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,776
    Options
    caliking said:
    It's not like we have the weather for sitting around a fire pit much here in Houston, but we do enjoy sitting around a fire some nights.

Bought a chiminea (not BGE)some  years ago and didn't use it much. The fire is somewhat enclosed, so not much fun to watch, and it didn't seem to give off much heat either. Bought another open fire pit, and although it was more satisfying in terms watching the fire,  it didn't seem to give off much heat either, unless you say close to it. Maybe we needed bigger fires?

So there seem to be 2 reasons to buy a fire pit - the visual/entertainment aspect of it, and a somewhat functional heat providing aspect. The Solo satisfies the first - it looks cool! May not be much of an issue if it doesn't provide much heat, as that is secondary, for us at least.

I did consider buying a broken washing machine on Craigslist, and tearing out the SS tub for a fire pit. Probably less than $50 with beers and labor extra. Figured it wasn't worth the effort and figuring out how to dispose of the wrecked washer after I was done. 

One thing that has kept me from buying the Solo fire pit is that it sits on the ground, and I'm not sure what that would do to the pool deck or patio stone. 
    if you want a firepit to throw heat, you want the back to be built tall and the front to be nonexistant or short.  lots of radiant heat forced forward.  was at a native indian dig site years back, there was a pit with fish drying racks sitting in front of it, not over it catching the reflected heat. the heat on the back stones also helps the smoke carry higher

This gas-powered fireplace sits in the corner of a patio to give optimum light and heat to the area and provide lovely ambiance

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Options
    caliking said:
    It's not like we have the weather for sitting around a fire pit much here in Houston, but we do enjoy sitting around a fire some nights.

Bought a chiminea (not BGE)some  years ago and didn't use it much. The fire is somewhat enclosed, so not much fun to watch, and it didn't seem to give off much heat either. Bought another open fire pit, and although it was more satisfying in terms watching the fire,  it didn't seem to give off much heat either, unless you say close to it. Maybe we needed bigger fires?

So there seem to be 2 reasons to buy a fire pit - the visual/entertainment aspect of it, and a somewhat functional heat providing aspect. The Solo satisfies the first - it looks cool! May not be much of an issue if it doesn't provide much heat, as that is secondary, for us at least.

I did consider buying a broken washing machine on Craigslist, and tearing out the SS tub for a fire pit. Probably less than $50 with beers and labor extra. Figured it wasn't worth the effort and figuring out how to dispose of the wrecked washer after I was done. 

One thing that has kept me from buying the Solo fire pit is that it sits on the ground, and I'm not sure what that would do to the pool deck or patio stone. 
    There is a small stand you can get with it to raise it a little. 
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,350
    Options
    caliking said:

They sell an optional stand for use on potentially heat sensitive surfaces...

“Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    edited October 2019
    Options
    @fishlessman I get the concept of a reflecting wall behind the fire, but since we have so few nights that get really cold, I’m not investing in a fixed pit like that. That’s a nice pit though. 

We built a pit with a reflecting wall when we cooked a whole goat at Brisket Camp a couple of years ago. Worked very well. 

@Lit  @HeavyG thanks for the tip about the stand. I may look into it. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,533
    Options
    Happy Diwali Ashish!
    canuckland
  • caliking
    Options
    Happy Diwali Ashish!
     Thanks, Gary :) I won extra points with the kids because we had fireworks. 

• Canugghead
    edited October 2019
    Options
    caliking said:
    Cooker count just went up by one =)
    you need a gasket from @RRP   =)
    canuckland
  • Cornholio
    Cornholio Posts: 1,047
    Options
    Collapsible legs, handles welded on, throws off good heat, and cheap.  =)

• caliking
    Options
    There’s a big sale on at the solo stove website if anyone is thinking of getting one. 

• Canugghead
    edited September 2020
    Options
    Was looking at solo stove last year but they don't ship to canuckland.

Found a used Biolite Firepit locally last week and couldn't resist. Great portability with nerdy apps to boot. Definitely not enough heat to keep a large crowd warm especially in the GWN. Fuel grate has two position, lower for firepit, upper for hibachi. Includes a sliding removable cooking grid. Three air tubes enable secondary combustion similar to Solo stove. The condition of 10,000+ mah rechargeable battery is questionable, if/when it fails I'll need to figure out an alternative power supply to run the fan. Unlike their Campstove, this does not come with thermocouple generator that recharges the battery to self power the fan.

Started a small fire with kiln dried furniture grade oak scraps.There was smoke at startup, similar to Solo I guess? Once the fire established it was virtually smokeless. Xray screen allows the fire to be visible from three sides, great ambiance. This thing is small btw, max recommended log length is 16".

Didn't take long for small pile of kiln dried wood to burn down to charcoal/embers. Elevated the fuel rack, put on the sliding grill and got myself a hibachi for some spiedini.

Bluetooth apps controls pit remotely, with display of battery level and reserve run times.

Like I said, not for serious heat but a fun toy.

Edit: handles allow relocating while in use.
    canuckland
  • gamason
    gamason Posts: 406
    edited September 2020
    Options
    Go to your local appliance repair shop. Its nothing more than an old stainless dryer drum. Can be had for under 20 bucks and does the EXACT same thing.

Snellville,Ga.

LBGE

Minimax

• Canugghead
    edited September 2020
    Options
    @gamason I think you meant perforated rigid stainless washer drum, not thin bendable sheet metal dryer drum? I used dryer drum for making red neck DIY Joetisserie.
    https://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1220101/redneck-xl-jotisserie-and-maiden-voyage-pic-heavy

My neighbour next door is an appliance repair guy, he gave me two stainless washer drums, $0.  I gave away one and still use the other as firepit. Not the same, not as cool (heat wise literally) and not as cool (fun wise) though  ;)
    canuckland
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Options
    1250 lb repurposed crusher cone. I am told it's made of manganese making it to hard to recycle.
    That yours?
  • frazzdaddy
    frazzdaddy Posts: 2,617
    edited September 2020
    Options
    Lit said:
    1250 lb repurposed crusher cone. I am told it's made of manganese making it to hard to recycle.
    That yours?
    Yes.
    Xl bge ,LG bge, two 4' crusher cone fire pits. Weber Genisis gasser and 
    Two rusty Weber kettles. 

Two Rivers Farm
    Moncure N.C.
  • Cornholio
    Cornholio Posts: 1,047
    Options
    “Manganese a few friends to help me move this”
  • frazzdaddy
    Options
    Cornholio said:
    “Manganese a few friends to help me move this”
    I cheated and used my JD front end loader. Trick was leveling it on the rocks.
    Two rusty Weber kettles. 

Two Rivers Farm
    Moncure N.C.
  • Buckwoody Egger
    Options

This is a Ranger model in case anyone is curious about the smaller one. Went smaller for several reasons. I like the portability since it is not left outside and this area in pic has other uses. The big flame pic was a bunch of chunk and two 12” birch logs like in the pan by the grass. I will split/ quarter those birch too but not tonight. Also surprising how much flame you get from yard twigs which we have tons of. Gotta feed it—  it doesn’t burn too long if you don’t want it to. 

Time wise—Once you get to embers, you are 1 hour or so away from the whole thing being cool the to touch.  Dump ashes in a galvanized ash can or in a spot in yard that you can water real quick.  So in three hours I had it set up, almost 2 hours of flame and then back in storage. 

The galvanized pan in pics is not for snuffing, just for bringing chunk along, but it could be a lid in case of rain during embers / cool down or I want to leave it out overnight and it might rain. Snuffing is not needed or a good idea since you aren’t snuffing the intake too. 

I splurged on the ultimate bundle and don’t regret it at all. 

If I wasn’t going for portability and had a big spot away from the house (No screen needed), I probably would have gone with the breeo over solo stove. They are great looking and the grill tower/rod is great too.  Or maybe an S+S fire pit.  

• Canugghead
    Options
    @Buckwoody Egger Nice. Forgive my poor eyesight, if it wasn’t for the photo on the left, l thought the contraption on the right is @SGH ‘s anus warmer  =)
    canuckland
  • caliking
    Options
    Not that I'm the first to say it, but that's a sweet spot you have set up.

• frazzdaddy
    Options
    @caliking Thank you man, it's a labor of love for sure.  Hopefully, when we figure out what normal is going to be you guys can come hang out and teach me to cook.
    Two rusty Weber kettles. 

Two Rivers Farm
    Moncure N.C.
  • caliking
    Options
    @caliking Thank you man, it's a labor of love for sure.  Hopefully, when we figure out what normal is going to be you guys can come hang out and teach me to cook.
    oh, hell NO!! If I'm comin' out there, I fully intend to soak it all up, and drink other people's beer. I'm good at that =)

• frazzdaddy
    Options
    caliking said:
    oh, hell NO!! If I'm comin' out there, I fully intend to soak it all up, and drink other people's beer. I'm good at that =)
    Come on, three beer fridges no waiting...
    Two rusty Weber kettles. 

Two Rivers Farm
    Moncure N.C.
  • FarmingPhD
    Options
    @frazzdaddy - I looked up that style fire pit after you mentioned it on one of the Friday night sessions I made it to.  Really cool, my wife vetoed the effort to set one in our backyard in town.  She didn’t think a crane, even though the neighborhood kids would think it’s awesome, would be a reasonable solution to get it into the backyard.
  • frazzdaddy
    Options
    @frazzdaddy - I looked up that style fire pit after you mentioned it on one of the Friday night sessions I made it to.  Really cool, my wife vetoed the effort to set one in our backyard in town.  She didn’t think a crane, even though the neighborhood kids would think it’s awesome, would be a reasonable solution to get it into the backyard.
     They are really cool. Glad you got one going and like it. A mid sized skid steer would handle it but will reek havoc on the yard. Hopefully you got a good deal.  I have one down by the pond as well.  One of theses days I am going to weld up some kind of cooking apparatus for it.  
    Two rusty Weber kettles. 

Two Rivers Farm
    Moncure N.C.
  • Wolfpack
    Wolfpack Posts: 3,551
    Options
    For those that have one- what accessories did you get? Do I need the stand or shield?
    Greensboro, NC
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,627
    Options
    Wolfpack said:
    For those that have one- what accessories did you get? Do I need the stand or shield?
    I bought the full kit and it’s good.  The stand gets it 3” off the ground, the spark guard is important for where I am, the cover is necessary as I leave it out and you don’t want water collecting in there.