Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Yeti should make an over engineered can opener....

northGAcock
northGAcock Posts: 15,164
edited October 2019 in Off Topic
Now mind ya, I don’t really open a lot of cans these days.....but when I do, I hate fighting with the lid to open the can enough (inspite of the places the opener omitted) to empty the contents. That’s all. 
Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
Run me out in the cold rain and snow

Comments

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,880
    edited October 2019
    me thinks you might just need to spend $15 and buy a new electric can opener if the lid isn't being completely cut off! ;) My B&D is a single handed operation after first sitting the can in place. The strong magnet even lifts the lid away.
    If I totally missed your point or tongue in cheek excuse me!
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • buzd504
    buzd504 Posts: 3,824
    Now mind ya, I don’t really open a lot of cans these days.....but when I do, I hate fighting with the lid to open the can enough (inspite of the places the opener omitted) to empty the contents. That’s all. 
    I agree.  Current can openers, electric or otherwise, generally suck.
    NOLA
  • BugFreak72
    BugFreak72 Posts: 246
    edited October 2019
  • northGAcock
    Done. Only $30 too!
    https://www.yeti.com/en_US/accessories/molle-zinger/21110000004.html

Just a bottle opener though darnit.

Can my friend....can.

• HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,324
    My Oxo side cutter makes it easy to take the lid off.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• Smoker317
    Smoker317 Posts: 238
    P-38 still works for me,,,
    Egghead since November 2014, XL-BGE & ET-732
    Smobot
    Living near Indy
    36" Blackstone
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,602
    HeavyG said:
    My Oxo side cutter makes it easy to take the lid off.
    I have a side cutter, hate it for tuna, it’s a b itch to press and drain the tuna.
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,431
    I have two manual can openers.  This one:
    https://www.amazon.com/Good-Cook-Opener-Manual-Sharp/dp/B000AX13US/ref=sr_1_29?keywords=can+opener&qid=1572482273&s=home-garden&sr=1-29 
    ...cuts the outside edge of the top, so once you go around, the top just lifts off (avoiding all the rat guano on the inside edge of all cans, and giving you a temporary top to place back on the can for leftovers!)  I have the Rošle brand, which didn't appear on Amazoid.  They do eventually wear out, I'm on my second one.
    I also have a traditional Oxo, which I use pretty much just for tomato paste cans: I cut the top AND the bottom, push the top into the can just until the bottom sticks out, wipe the bottom sideways off the can (no wasted tomato paste), the push the majority of it  out via the top lid; works great!  

"I mean, I don't just kill guys, I'm notorious for doing in houseplants."  - Maggie, Northern Exposure

• milesvdustin
    milesvdustin Posts: 2,882
    Done. Only $30 too!
    https://www.yeti.com/en_US/accessories/molle-zinger/21110000004.html

Just a bottle opener though darnit.

I got one of those somewhere for free, it's my keychain. No way I would pay 30 bucks, but it is stout. 

2 LBGE, Blackstone 36, Jumbo Joe

Egging in Southern Illinois (Marion)

• Robin next time just pull the tab on top - that’s what it’s there for:

"I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • Get a Swing A Way. Last one I got in Publix for $9. $9 very well spent!
  • northGAcock
    Robin next time just pull the tab on top - that’s what it’s there for:

....and to think, you teach our chillin.....

• Image result for homer opening beer with gun gif

Weber Genesis CP310; Weber Q1200 (camping); LBGE.

"If you haven't heard a rumour by 8:30 am - start one"

• SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,671
    use the regular can opener like the oxo side edge, its magic ;)
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • piney
    piney Posts: 1,478
    I don't have that problem...trust me I can open a can!
    Lenoir, N.C.
  • Legume
    I’m kind of disappointed there haven’t been any ridiculously expensive artisan offerings mentioned.  Heat the can and burnish the inside lip of the can with proprietary edge that minimizes friction and damage to the baby carrots or peas or hand-packed small batch heirloom Italian tomatoes that come mail order only.

Nothing in this thread is going to put a significant ding in @northGAcock wallet and I think that’s really what his cry for help is all about.  No over engineered steampunk openers?  Lasers?  Water pressure?
  • xfire_ATX
    xfire_ATX Posts: 1,110
    SWMBO brought one of these into our marriage
    Image result for swing away can opener

Performed Flawlessly for who knows how many years, one day this POS shows up in the drawer- "we needed a new one".   Umm okay.

5 years of dealing with that POS I got on Amazon and bought another of those.  Works great again.

But to posters point- I would pay ridiculous money for one that would perform and last.
    XLBGE, LBGECharbroil Gas Grill, Weber Q2000, Old Weber Kettle, Yeti 65, Yeti Hopper 20, RTIC 20, RTIC 20 Soft Side - Too many drinkware vessels to mention.

Not quite in Austin, TX City Limits
    Just Vote- What if you could choose "none of the above" on an election ballot? Millions of Americans do just that, in effect, by not voting.  The result in 2016: "Nobody" won more counties, more states, and more electoral votes than either candidate for president. 
  • northGAcock
    Botch said:
    https://www.amazon.com/Good-Cook-Opener-Manual-Sharp/dp/B000AX13US/ref=sr_1_29?keywords=can+opener&qid=1572482273&s=home-garden&sr=1-29 
    ...cuts the outside edge of the top, so once you go around, the top just lifts off (avoiding all the rat guano on the inside edge of all cans, and giving you a temporary top to place back on the can for leftovers!)  I have the Rošle brand, which didn't appear on Amazoid.  They do eventually wear out, I'm on my second one.
    I also have a traditional Oxo, which I use pretty much just for tomato paste cans: I cut the top AND the bottom, push the top into the can just until the bottom sticks out, wipe the bottom sideways off the can (no wasted tomato paste), the push the majority of it  out via the top lid; works great!  
    Brother Botch.....I too had that one once upon a time.....that blade fails as well and i was left fighting with it. Your day will come....for me....they come without warning and just sh!t the bed one day......and it comes at the worst possible times. Perhaps the best strategy is to simply order two and keep one as a back up for that day.

• Spaightlabs
    Spaightlabs Posts: 2,349
    Legume said:
    I’m kind of disappointed there haven’t been any ridiculously expensive artisan offerings mentioned.  Heat the can and burnish the inside lip of the can with proprietary edge that minimizes friction and damage to the baby carrots or peas or hand-packed small batch heirloom Italian tomatoes that come mail order only.

Nothing in this thread is going to put a significant ding in @northGAcock wallet and I think that’s really what his cry for help is all about.  No over engineered steampunk openers?  Lasers?  Water pressure?
    https://www.akitchen.com/store/Edlund-Restaurant-Equipment610M.html?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIs9GHysDH5QIVEtvACh0OGQU3EAQYASABEgIltvD_BwE

Only $4600.
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,324
    Legume said:

https://www.akitchen.com/store/Edlund-Restaurant-Equipment610M.html?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIs9GHysDH5QIVEtvACh0OGQU3EAQYASABEgIltvD_BwE

Only $4600.
    Bummer...that one is only good for up to 400 cans per day. Ahh well, the search continues.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• Legume
    Looks priced for gubmint contracts. 2 + 2 backups on every ship.
  • dmchicago
    dmchicago Posts: 4,516
    There are certian kitchen tools that should be replaced every 2-3 years.

can openers are one of them.

Veg peelers are another.

Cheap and better new than a year or two old.
    Philly - Kansas City - Houston - Cincinnati - Dallas - Houston - Memphis - Austin - Chicago - Austin

Large BGE. OONI 16, TOTO Washlet S550e (Now with enhanced Motherly Hugs!)

"If I wanted my balls washed, I'd go to the golf course!"
    Dennis - Austin,TX
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,431
    Botch said:
    Brother Botch.....I too had that one once upon a time.....that blade fails as well and i was left fighting with it. Your day will come....for me....they come without warning and just sh!t the bed one day......and it comes at the worst possible times. Perhaps the best strategy is to simply order two and keep one as a back up for that day.
    So far, mine just got duller and duller, no instant-failure, so I bought my second one.  And as mentioned, I already have my Oxo as a backup.  

Designing a better can opener would be a great ME Senior Design project.  Hmmm....

"I mean, I don't just kill guys, I'm notorious for doing in houseplants."  - Maggie, Northern Exposure

• Botch said:
    Botch said:
    So far, mine just got duller and duller, no instant-failure, so I bought my second one.  And as mentioned, I already have my Oxo as a backup.  

Designing a better can opener would be a great ME Senior Design project.  Hmmm....

South of Columbus, Ohio.

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,671
    my cheap supermarket one is over 20 years old, still works fine, what are you doing to them that they dont last
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    I have a Swing-a-way. At least 15 years old. Still works fine. Glad to see more and more cans with the pop top design though. 

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,125
    Swiss Army already has an over engineered can opener. 

• Wow that thing must weight a ton in the pocket.