Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Would you eat?

Hans61
Hans61 Posts: 3,901
The brats are very firm not soft or mushy at all but wife is questioning the small tint of pink

i ate one and it was delicious texture was fantastic 
“There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body.”
Coach Finstock Teen Wolf

Comments

• Looks like the shocker.   Two in the pink an one in the stink!  
  • Spaightlabs
    Spaightlabs Posts: 2,349
    It's fine, eat it.
  • lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,707
    edited October 2019
    The pink may be from cure 1....sniff test and eat....
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,352

=======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,707
  • prob a good time to throw back on the grill
    Lrg 2008
    Mini 2009
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    That’s risky with ground pork. I wouldn’t eat it 
  • Theophan
    Theophan Posts: 2,654
    Most of the time you can do it "wrong" and everything will be fine.

But... we're not talking about a small risk of catching a bad cold, here.  We're talking about a small risk of being miserably, desperately sick, maybe in the hospital, exploding at both ends, maybe elderly or children at risk of dying a really miserable death.

Nope.  Not me.  Chance are it'd be fine.  But food safety just isn't something I want to take even a small risk on.  I've known people who had food poisoning who said if they'd had a gun handy, they would have used it on themselves, it was that bad!
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,427
    Trichinosis has been eradicated in this country for (at least) a decade, I'd eat it (and have).  
    @Theophan mentions friends who've had food poisoning, and I have too (from, as near as I could tell, a stupid piece of dried beef left out overnight!)  It lasted 4 days, and I would've offed myself too had I the means.
    I've had food poisoning three times since (utah cajun, and two taco carts) and each time was much easier (not that I'm suggesting a program or anything).  My Viking and Germanic ancestors ate a lot of questionable meat (pepper was popular because it masked unappetizing smells) so it may be slightly hereditary.  
    But, don't fear the pink pork.  

"I mean, I don't just kill guys, I'm notorious for doing in houseplants."  - Maggie, Northern Exposure

• Gulfcoastguy
    Gulfcoastguy Posts: 6,286
    His wife will never be happy unless it’s recarbonized. 
  • NorthPilot06
    NorthPilot06 Posts: 1,179
    I’m not a good yardstick, I’d certainly eat that without reservation. But I’m sure the Mrs. would want it back on the heat. 
    DFW - 1 LGBE & Happy to Adopt More...
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,663
    well i ate med/rare bear burgers this year and have eaten from a pot of chili and a pot of chicken soup left on the stove and reheated for weeks at a time, have never put extra  pizza in the fridge in my life =)  people in this world actually eat ground pork raw.  ive never poisoned myself but question what restaurants are doing to poison me, i would be more afraid eating out as thats where ive had food poisoning
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • johnmitchell
    johnmitchell Posts: 6,545
    @Hans61..You still above ground this morning..I certainly hope so. :)
    Greensboro North Carolina
    When in doubt Accelerate....
  • jtcBoynton
    jtcBoynton Posts: 2,814
    A good instant read thermometer would have settled this question. Two or three seconds would have told you if they met your standard for minimum safety temp. 
    Southeast Florida - LBGE
    In cooking, often we implement steps for which we have no explanations other than ‘that’s what everybody else does’ or ‘that’s what I have been told.’  Dare to think for yourself.

• Hans61
    @Hans61..You still above ground this morning..I certainly hope so. :)
    Yes sir! Alls well :-)
    “There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body.”
    Coach Finstock Teen Wolf
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    I cooked a steak last night. A filet mignon. I pulled it a bit sooner than I normally do and while the end was medium rare, the closer I got to the middle, the more rare it got. One of the best steaks I've ever eaten, but it was quite rare. I decided to try to correct that so I threw the remaining half of it into the microwave. 30 seconds only. 15-20 would have been better, but it was still excellent! No illness yet. =)

My brother and I used to do that with Mom's beef. We'd cook a roast "properly", knowing that she wouldn't eat it if there was any hint of pink. Sliced off her serving from one end and into the microwave. The rest of us enjoyed med-rare, she got her well done. It was either that, or adjust the dimmer so she couldn't see the red meat.

I would have eaten the sausage.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• fishlessman
    A good instant read thermometer would have settled this question. Two or three seconds would have told you if they met your standard for minimum safety temp. 
    but the food nazis want you to have dry crumbley sausage
    fukahwee maine

• Sea2Ski
    Sea2Ski Posts: 4,088
    I think where @jtcBoynton was going was you would know if the center was 80F, 120F, or 140F.  Maybe they were put on frozen and cooked on high heat to char the outside, but the heat never got to the center. Sometimes 80F sausage can look like 130F sausage.  80 goes back on the grill. 130 goes in my belly. 

I take the temp of nearly all my food, but depending what it is and where I got it is what determines my finish temp.  Commercial sausages and hamburgers are 160F for me at a minimum. If I make the sausages or hamburger it is more like 130-140. 
    --------------------------------------------------
    Burning lump in Downingtown, PA or diesel in Cape May, NJ.
    ....just look for the smoke!
    Large and MiniMax
    --------------------------------------------------

Caliking said:   Meat in bung is my favorite. 
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727
    ...It was either that, or adjust the dimmer so she couldn't see the red meat.

I love this. I know folks who "fix" meat that looks too pink by microwaving it, but dimming the lights so they won't notice is pure genius.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • fishlessman
    caliking said:
    ...It was either that, or adjust the dimmer so she couldn't see the red meat.

I love this. I know folks who "fix" meat that looks too pink by microwaving it, but dimming the lights so they won't notice is pure genius.
    its the only way to serve tuna steaks here, in the dark. will never understand why someone will eat raw sushi but wants their fish overcooked
    fukahwee maine

• fishlessman
    Sea2Ski said:
    I think where @jtcBoynton was going was you would know if the center was 80F, 120F, or 140F.  Maybe they were put on frozen and cooked on high heat to char the outside, but the heat never got to the center. Sometimes 80F sausage can look like 130F sausage.  80 goes back on the grill. 130 goes in my belly. 

I take the temp of nearly all my food, but depending what it is and where I got it is what determines my finish temp.  Commercial sausages and hamburgers are 160F for me at a minimum. If I make the sausages or hamburger it is more like 130-140. 
    i stopped years ago using a thermapen on burgers, it just ruins a burger, that and im ok with eating the burger raw when forming the patty
    fukahwee maine

• NorthPilot06
    Sea2Ski said:

i stopped years ago using a thermapen on burgers, it just ruins a burger, that and im ok with eating the burger raw when forming the patty
    This.  Call me crazy but I taste my burgers / meatball mix before cooking it for seasoning.  Haven't gotten sick yet.
  • NorthPilot06
    Also, when I get a subprimal from costco and cut it into steaks, I tend to snack on a few pieces along the way.  Probably dumb, but hasn't gotten me yet.
  • Would I have eaten it? Yep. I have and I would again. 

With that said, I wouldn’t let my pregnant wife or 2 year old eat it. 
  • GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    I would eat it without question.  I also have the stomach of a billy goat.

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • Hans61
    Sea2Ski said:

They sat out on the counter for 1/2 hr. Grilled on weber felt plump and firm casings were cracking - usually I kinda reverse sear but this time just went completely direct
    Coach Finstock Teen Wolf
  • Hans61

@caliking my wife did microwave hers :-)
    Coach Finstock Teen Wolf
  • Hans61
    Phatchris said:
    I will have to give that a try! This was a deviation because I was rushing I usually set up a warm zone and a hot zone cook indirect until plump then sear. Never thought of adding in the veggies 
    Coach Finstock Teen Wolf