Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Weight loss mission.....finding some new dishes (not necessarily egged).......

Options
124»

Comments

• northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    While only tangentially related to the OP’s question.....

Here are a few things that I have found helpful on health and weight control.

The first step to weight loss and control in mindfulness. If you are overweight, it is because you are consuming more calories than you are burning (i.e., caloric surplus). Your portions are too large. You eat too frequently. You are drinking your calories without realizing it. Being mindful of what is causing your weight surplus is the first hurdle, as is accepting that you need to do things differently to obtain different results.

The second hurdle is also mental. You need to really want to lose weight. And not just want it, but be mentally committed to making daily sacrifices for it. This includes ensuring active decisions on each and every morsel that goes into your mouth. 

In addition to being mindful of caloric intake and committing to goals, something that has worked extremely well for me is the concept of nutritional density. There is no food I am unprepared to eat. But anything I eat, I am cognizant of what my body is getting out of it (and correspondingly, what it may be adding to my body, whether muscle or fat). For example, I am not inherently a proponent of low carb diets. Carbs can offer many benefits, especially in the context of active lifestyles. However, I am very mindful of my intake of high glycemic index carbs. Potatoes, white bread, etc. provide very few benefits for my body relative to their caloric counts and I therefore generally avoid them. However, I also recognize the benefits of oats, whole grain rice, and sweet potatoes and will actively seek to include them in my diet, especially on days I am exercising. Some opt to cut out carbs altogether because it’s simpler to do that than to learn how they work, which to seek out and how they should be employed. 

You can live a little and still be healthy. You have to find a balance that is conducive to your lifestyle. My wife and I have a shared general approach to healthy eating. Quite pious Monday through Thursday. We do what we want Friday through Sunday (within some reason; e.g., neither of us are binge eaters or chronic snackers). We find this to be a great balance between health and our love of food. One of the reasons it works well for us is that we do most socializing on weekends. We therefore don’t have to impose dietary restrictions (which can prove problematic for social engagements) while seeing friends and family. Truth is, weight loss can really accommodate ANY type of food. You can have beer, ice cream, brisket, cookies, etc. Just be sure to restrict portion sizes accordingly. If you haven’t read about the Twinkie diet, it is worth a look. http://www.cnn.com/2010/HEALTH/11/08/twinkie.diet.professor/index.html

Finally, exercise is helpful and very beneficial to weight loss, but it is not absolutely essential. For weight control, it is much, much easier to lose weight by restricting calories than by exercising. The one huge benefit to exercise is that it builds muscle and speeds up metabolism. The more muscle you have, the more calories you burn. Build more muscle and you can afford to consume more calories without gaining fat. Understanding how metabolism, which is fluid, works is very helpful in understanding the role exercise and nutrition play in weight management. 
    While only tangentially related to the OP’s question.....

Here are a few things that I have found helpful on health and weight control.

The first step to weight loss and control in mindfulness. If you are overweight, it is because you are consuming more calories than you are burning (i.e., caloric surplus). Your portions are too large. You eat too frequently. You are drinking your calories without realizing it. Being mindful of what is causing your weight surplus is the first hurdle, as is accepting that you need to do things differently to obtain different results.

The second hurdle is also mental. You need to really want to lose weight. And not just want it, but be mentally committed to making daily sacrifices for it. This includes ensuring active decisions on each and every morsel that goes into your mouth. 

In addition to being mindful of caloric intake and committing to goals, something that has worked extremely well for me is the concept of nutritional density. There is no food I am unprepared to eat. But anything I eat, I am cognizant of what my body is getting out of it (and correspondingly, what it may be adding to my body, whether muscle or fat). For example, I am not inherently a proponent of low carb diets. Carbs can offer many benefits, especially in the context of active lifestyles. However, I am very mindful of my intake of high glycemic index carbs. Potatoes, white bread, etc. provide very few benefits for my body relative to their caloric counts and I therefore generally avoid them. However, I also recognize the benefits of oats, whole grain rice, and sweet potatoes and will actively seek to include them in my diet, especially on days I am exercising. Some opt to cut out carbs altogether because it’s simpler to do that than to learn how they work, which to seek out and how they should be employed. 

You can live a little and still be healthy. You have to find a balance that is conducive to your lifestyle. My wife and I have a shared general approach to healthy eating. Quite pious Monday through Thursday. We do what we want Friday through Sunday (within some reason; e.g., neither of us are binge eaters or chronic snackers). We find this to be a great balance between health and our love of food. One of the reasons it works well for us is that we do most socializing on weekends. We therefore don’t have to impose dietary restrictions (which can prove problematic for social engagements) while seeing friends and family. Truth is, weight loss can really accommodate ANY type of food. You can have beer, ice cream, brisket, cookies, etc. Just be sure to restrict portion sizes accordingly. If you haven’t read about the Twinkie diet, it is worth a look. http://www.cnn.com/2010/HEALTH/11/08/twinkie.diet.professor/index.html

Finally, exercise is helpful and very beneficial to weight loss, but it is not absolutely essential. For weight control, it is much, much easier to lose weight by restricting calories than by exercising. The one huge benefit to exercise is that it builds muscle and speeds up metabolism. The more muscle you have, the more calories you burn. Build more muscle and you can afford to consume more calories without gaining fat. Understanding how metabolism, which is fluid, works is very helpful in understanding the role exercise and nutrition play in weight management. 
    Thanks for your post an insight. There are some very relative points you have made. Again thanks. 
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • northGAcock
    edited July 2019
    Options
    eggnewtoy said:
    I started WW about 16 months ago, hit first goal (down 60 lbs) have another 20 to go.  Find it fairly easy to stick to a healthy eating plan.  One of my favorite WW friendly dishes is cedar planked salmon with English mustard and sprinkled with brown sugar (1-t) , grilled on cedar plank at 400 for 10 minutes.  Very easy and excellent.  The combo of english mustard and brown sugar is great.  it’s taken me a long time to find a healthier eating plan.  Also, work out daily—swimming, bar method, yoga.  Continued good luck to you.  
    Thanks.....I eat shellfish and crustations....but not a fish eater. I need (and will) try to re-engrave with the swimmers, I really recognize the health benefits. Appreciate your sharing.

Oh oh and all the best on your journey. 

• northGAcock
    Options
    SciAggie said:
    Food for thought - you might also toy with a “tapas night”. My wife and I find we eat really small portions that are spread out over a period of time. You get to taste and enjoy cooking several things. We end up feeling very satisfied while again eating a small amount of actual food. 
    Appreciate all of your post. A great idea. Been dealing with some external distractions the last few days....appreciate your sharing ing and insight. 

• northGAcock
    Options
    marinaded mushrooms make a great snack. seared oyster mushrooms make a great side. mushrooms are made for weight loss, lowering bp, lowering cholesterol
    Thanks Fish....I love mushrooms so added bonus. Thanks for your input.

• northGAcock
    Options
    @northGAcock check out the book - Fit Men Cook - great recipes for weight loss and meal prep: https://www.amazon.com/Fit-Men-Cook-Women_Always-HealthyAF/dp/1501178725

Thanks....just ordered. 

• northGAcock
    Options
    When I was doing the Paleo thing a while back I found this website.  There are a lot of great recipes on here as I found myself still cooking a few a couple times a month.  https://nomnompaleo.com/recipeindex2
    Thanks brother. 

• northGAcock
    Options
    I have also found this website to be really good. 

www.skinnytaste.com

I honestly can say that I’ve not found anything that sucked from this sight.  

This is a favorite at our house 

https://www.skinnytaste.com/grilled-romaine-corn-and-chicken-salad-with-salsa-dressing/
    Thanks Matt....just getting a chance to read they this thread and respond. Will try this one real soon.

• northGAcock
    Options
    caliking said:
    I had a go at the Mexican shrimp cocktail mentioned by @fishlessman , and it was REALLY good. Tweaked it with some habanero hot sauce,  and other stuff, to give it more zing. 

Gawjus right there.

• JRWhitee
    JRWhitee Posts: 5,678
    Options
    caliking said:
    I had a go at the Mexican shrimp cocktail mentioned by @fishlessman , and it was REALLY good. Tweaked it with some habanero hot sauce,  and other stuff, to give it more zing. 

Yes sir

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • JohnnyTarheel
    JohnnyTarheel Posts: 6,540
    Options
    caliking said:

Wanna try this!!
    Charlotte, NC - Large BGE 2014, Maverick ET 733, Thermopen, Nest, Platesetter, Woo2 and Extender w/Grid, Kick Ash Basket, Pizza Stone, SS Smokeware Cap, Blackstone 36"
  • GrateEggspectations
    Options
    caliking said:

Me likey!
  • northGAcock
    Options
    @northGAcock check out the book - Fit Men Cook - great recipes for weight loss and meal prep: https://www.amazon.com/Fit-Men-Cook-Women_Always-HealthyAF/dp/1501178725

Thanks....just ordered. 
    I have received and read the book part. So far only tried one recipe. That will change next week while on vacation. Good reading....thanks for the suggestion.

• NDG
    NDG Posts: 2,431
    Options
    @HoustonEgger made the cauliflower pesto smoked chicken tonight - https://www.wholesomeyum.com/recipes/pesto-chicken-bake-with-cauliflower-low-carb-gluten-free/

We have so much basil in our garden & easy to make - we enjoyed it - thanks!
    Columbus, OH

“There are only two ways to live your life.  One is as though nothing is a miracle.  The other is as if everything is” 
  • HoustonEgger
    Options
    NDG said:
    @HoustonEgger made the cauliflower pesto smoked chicken tonight - https://www.wholesomeyum.com/recipes/pesto-chicken-bake-with-cauliflower-low-carb-gluten-free/

We have so much basil in our garden & easy to make - we enjoyed it - thanks!
    Awesome - remeber it freezes well so you can make batches ahead of time too. 

I made this ground beef veggie skillet last week on the Blackstone - perfect tool for a cook like this: https://www.primaverakitchen.com/ground-beef-veggie-skillet-recipe/ - also freezes really well and is a great recipe for all sorts of veggies. I doubled the recipe and paired servings with roasted broccoli and made about 12 meals out of it. 
    Formerly of Houston, TX - Now Located in Bastrop, TX
    I work in the 'que business now (since 2017)

6 Eggs: (1) XL, (2) Large, (1) Small, (1) Minimax & (1) Mini - Egging since 2007
    Also recently gained: (1) Gas Thing (came with the house), (1) 36" Blackstone Griddle & (1) Pitts & Spitts Pellet Smoker
  • HoustonEgger
    Options
    Few more meal prep healthy favorites in our rotation:
    Greek Chicken Bowls - https://www.eazypeazymealz.com/greek-chicken-bowls-meal-prep-easy/

Egg Roll in a Bowl (Blackstone recipe): https://www.wholesomeyum.com/recipes/low-carb-crack-slaw-egg-roll-in-a-bowl-recipe/

Protein Cereal Bars - favorite for my kids (and me): https://thebigmansworld.com/healthy-4-ingredient-no-bake-protein-cereal-bars/

Hamburger Casserole - similar to the chicken pesto: https://www.grassfedgirl.com/low-carb-hamburger-casserole-recipe/?fref=gc&dti=392398560898302

Formerly of Houston, TX - Now Located in Bastrop, TX
    I work in the 'que business now (since 2017)

6 Eggs: (1) XL, (2) Large, (1) Small, (1) Minimax & (1) Mini - Egging since 2007
    Also recently gained: (1) Gas Thing (came with the house), (1) 36" Blackstone Griddle & (1) Pitts & Spitts Pellet Smoker
  • northGAcock
    Options
    Was in Asheville a couple of weeks ago....and happened by the White Duck Taco. Obliging myself, i had a couple of taco's....but what stole the show was the black bean and green Chile side I had. Whow.....I have sense done this at home. Mixed Fire Roasted Green Chile's with Black beans and baked to heat. Where has this been all my life..... 0 points on Weight Watchers is a bonus.

500 Posts: 3,177
    Options
    I joined WW 2 months ago.  Made lifetime in 6 weeks.  Lost 20# and still keeping it off.  Tracking and going to the meetings has kept me on track.  I'm in maintenance now, and still have a glass of bourbon or two in the evenings.  Rethinking your choices of what and how much to eat made the difference for me.  You really can eat anything, so it's about making choices and sticking to the tracking and walking 8 or 9,000 steps a day.  
    I like my butt rubbed and my pork pulled.
    Member since 2009
  • northGAcock
    Options
    500 said:
    I joined WW 2 months ago.  Made lifetime in 6 weeks.  Lost 20# and still keeping it off.  Tracking and going to the meetings has kept me on track.  I'm in maintenance now, and still have a glass of bourbon or two in the evenings.  Rethinking your choices of what and how much to eat made the difference for me.  You really can eat anything, so it's about making choices and sticking to the tracking and walking 8 or 9,000 steps a day.  
    Great for you....I’m down over 50# myself.....still got about 25 more to go.

• johnmitchell
    johnmitchell Posts: 6,571
    Options
    @500 @northGAcock.. Congratulations guys that one heck of an achievement.
    Greensboro North Carolina
    When in doubt Accelerate....
  • lentsboy007
    Options
    Man I would kill to be able to snack on cheese and nuts all day 

1 Large Egg, Blackstone griddle

Belgium...........The Netherlands??

Options
    @500 @northGAcock.. Congratulations guys that one heck of an achievement.
    Thanks @johnmitchell I considered it like a job. For 6 weeks, I stuck to tracking and keeping under my allotted points for each day. Saturday was my blowout day, and Sunday the week’s points are reset and I’d start over. 
    Member since 2009
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,754
    Options
    Was in Asheville a couple of weeks ago....and happened by the White Duck Taco. Obliging myself, i had a couple of taco's....but what stole the show was the black bean and green Chile side I had. Whow.....I have sense done this at home. Mixed Fire Roasted Green Chile's with Black beans and baked to heat. Where has this been all my life..... 0 points on Weight Watchers is a bonus.
    refried bean tacos has been my breakfast and sometimes lunch for the last week and a half, just dropped under the 200 pound mark. makes for an extremely  cheap meal.  will try the green chilis with it
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    500 said:
    Great for you....I’m down over 50# myself.....still got about 25 more to go.
    Way to go Robin!
  • SciAggie
    SciAggie Posts: 6,481
    Options
    @500 and @northGAcock Well done y'all. I lost 80 pounds almost a year ago and have kept it off successfully. I know the work y'all have done.
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • Lowcountrygamecock
    Options
    I’ve been off and on the Keto thing with some success but I’m such a rollercoaster dieter. I’ll drop 10-15 lbs and then life happens and I get off track and eat junk again and gain it back. I don’t even like the junk food and it makes me feel like crap when I eat it versus eating clean but it’s a hard habit to break. Starting back again on Monday and hopefully will be able to stay on course this time. My biggest problem is eating on the run. With work and kids I have a hard time finding Keto friendly food to eat on the road or on the boat when we’re out fishing. Gotta work harder at the meal prep this time. 
    Options
    I’ve been off and on the Keto thing with some success but I’m such a rollercoaster dieter. I’ll drop 10-15 lbs and then life happens and I get off track and eat junk again and gain it back. I don’t even like the junk food and it makes me feel like crap when I eat it versus eating clean but it’s a hard habit to break. Starting back again on Monday and hopefully will be able to stay on course this time. My biggest problem is eating on the run. With work and kids I have a hard time finding Keto friendly food to eat on the road or on the boat when we’re out fishing. Gotta work harder at the meal prep this time. 
    You can do it.  For me, I don't consider it a "diet", but a lifestyle change.  A diet means to me that it has an end point.  Changing the way to think about food and exercise is what works for me.  
    Member since 2009