Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

This may be heresy, but . . .

Options
LowandSlowJoe
LowandSlowJoe Posts: 8
edited October 2019 in EggHead Forum

Have any of you cooked so much of a dish you didn't want to smell or taste what you just fixed?  It was a small adventure cooking today.  Right now, the last thing I want to eat is the fresh pulled pork I just finished.

Any thoughts or suggestions?  All will be appreciated.

Comments

• td66snrf
    td66snrf Posts: 1,822
    edited October 2019
    Options
    In my younger days I worked for a hot rod builder whose car club put on a pancake breakfast. Let me preface that at the time I  had a full beard and hair past my shoulders. Hey it was the late 70's don't judge . My job was to cook the bacon on a flat top. And after about 200lbs with all the bacon grease in my hair,beard and clothes I felt like piece bacon. Couldn't eat bacon for years but have overcome that issue with counseling. 
    XLBGE, LBGE, MBGE, SMALL, MINI, 2 Kubs, Fire Magic Gasser
  • Zippylip
    Zippylip Posts: 4,768
    Options

Any thoughts or suggestions?  All will be appreciated.

stop cooking it until you want it again
    happy in the hut
    West Chester Pennsylvania
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    Donate to homeless shelters. There are people that could use a bit of humanity and nourishment.

Many facilities could use local support due to the lack of funding. Even more so, now, as much of the nation moves towards the colder months.

We try to assist where we can. An extra pork butt a few times a year is not much, but it helps.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • Fred19Flintstone
    Options
    I cook two butts at a time.  We love pulled pork, but we freeze most of it in single use bags.  Wilma decides how much is a “single use”.  She thaws a bag to make a dish.  She likes to make spaghetti, nachos, tacos...etc.  Two bags for pulled pork sammies.  
    Flint, Michigan
  • TEXASBGE2018
    TEXASBGE2018 Posts: 3,831
    edited October 2019
    Options
    That usually happens when I cook brisket. By the time it’s done I usually have a few burnt ends and that’s it. 

Rockwall, Tx    LBGE, Minimax, 22" Blackstone, Pizza Party Bollore. Cast Iron Hoarder.

• WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,026
    Options
    I made pulled pork for a party yesterday for nachos. I found myself with a bunch of leftovers. My deep freeze is a black hole. More goes in than comes back out. Rather than letting it sit in the freezer we gave it to our neighbors. I figure they'd appreciate the pulled pork and toppings more than us having pulled pork again. Especially when we can make it whenever we want. 
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    That usually happens when I cook brisket. By the time it’s done I usually have a few burnt ends and that’s it. 
    This, and I don’t even make it that often. I might have a slice of the point but that’s it.
  • Theophan
    Theophan Posts: 2,654
    Options
    Yes, most definitely, I get sick of stuff, and can't make the same thing very often.  Variety is the spice of life, so far as I'm concerned.

I knew a family, back in the '70s, who had the same dinner on the same day of the week every week, like, say, meat loaf on Sundays, pork chops on Tuesdays, spaghetti on Wednesdays, etc..  It never varied, same 7 dinners rotating throughout the year, year after year after year.  Oh, man -- I'd go bonkers!
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options
    Theophan said:
    Yes, most definitely, I get sick of stuff, and can't make the same thing very often.  Variety is the spice of life, so far as I'm concerned.

I knew a family, back in the '70s, who had the same dinner on the same day of the week every week, like, say, meat loaf on Sundays, pork chops on Tuesdays, spaghetti on Wednesdays, etc..  It never varied, same 7 dinners rotating throughout the year, year after year after year.  Oh, man -- I'd go bonkers!
    That is exactly how my childhood was.  Dad liked schedules and no surprises.  

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • Sea2Ski
    Sea2Ski Posts: 4,088
    Options
    We only have one standing “regular” meal.  Saturday night cheesesteaks. It was like that when I was growing up. I continued it as much as I could in college, and sure enough every Saturday night (unless it is a holiday or a special occasion), if we are home it is homemade cheesesteaks.
    --------------------------------------------------
    Burning lump in Downingtown, PA or diesel in Cape May, NJ.
    ....just look for the smoke!
    Large and MiniMax
    --------------------------------------------------

Caliking said:   Meat in bung is my favorite. 
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,171
    Options
    All the time even on basic weeknight cooks. The rut gets the best of us. I’ve been in the rut for a couple of months with the egg. I went from 6-7x per week to maybe 1. 
  • MNEggerandStuff
    Options
    So far only when I see it isn't my best.  Ive sliced up\pulled cooks that others thought were great but I had no real desire to eat any of it as I could see it wasn't as moist\tender\whatever as it could be. 

It's the same feeling I usually get when I make the mistake of ordering a steak or ribs in a restaurant.

• Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,471
    edited October 2019
    Options
    I discovered www.pizzamaking.com about the same time I bought my Large, and was trying everything, night after night, until one night I took a couple bites of the latest pie, set it down, and haven't eaten pizza since, save for a few lunch buffets with the office.  

I moderate better nowadays; made a big pot of spaghetti sauce my last 3-day weekend, didn't touch the Egg.  Also go out for sushi, or udon, or sub sammiches, as required.   ;)

EDIT:  huh, try this one (if interested):  https://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php

Remember when teachers used to say 'You won't have a calculator everywhere you go'?  Well, we showed them.

• Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    Sea2Ski said:
    We only have one standing “regular” meal.  Saturday night cheesesteaks. It was like that when I was growing up. I continued it as much as I could in college, and sure enough every Saturday night (unless it is a holiday or a special occasion), if we are home it is homemade cheesesteaks.
    Taco Tuesday here, thought the type of taco transitions to try tons of taco types.
  • milesvdustin
    milesvdustin Posts: 2,882
    Options
    We are doing wings tonight, because I haven't made them in forever. I haven't fired the egg in weeks 

2 LBGE, Blackstone 36, Jumbo Joe

Egging in Southern Illinois (Marion)

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,888
    Options
    This is a little off topic, but back in my early public accounting days I spent a day in the hot, stinking grain and fermenting areas of a large PBR brewery doing several audit functions. I could not stand the smell of beer much less drink any for a good 5 or 6 years! And that's no exaggeration!
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    Options
    I definitely get sick of certain foods at times but can't say it happens when I'm cooking it.  I never get that far along in the process.  I also go on "kicks".  Like right now I'm hooked on tacos. Over the last couple/few months I've eaten at every carniceria/taqueria I've passed within a 70 miles radius of Atlanta.   

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • Thatgrimguy
    Thatgrimguy Posts: 4,729
    Options
    YukonRon said:
    Donate to homeless shelters. There are people that could use a bit of humanity and nourishment.

Many facilities could use local support due to the lack of funding. Even more so, now, as much of the nation moves towards the colder months.

We try to assist where we can. An extra pork butt a few times a year is not much, but it helps.
    Double check that your shelter will actually accept said meat. And not just nicely take it and throw it in the dumpster like any shelter run by Red Cross does.
    XL, Small, Mini & Mini Max Green Egg, Shirley Fab Trailer, 6 gal and 2.5 gal Cajun Fryers, BlueStar 60" Range, 48" Lonestar Grillz Santa Maria, Alto Shaam 1200s, Gozney Dome, Gateway 55g Drum
  • YukonRon
    Options
    YukonRon said:

Double check that your shelter will actually accept said meat. And not just nicely take it and throw it in the dumpster like any shelter run by Red Cross does.
    Great point. I have a deal set up with the shelters we donate to. They call, I help.

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • gonepostal
    Options
    My favorite thing to cook on the egg by a long shot is a pork butt. For others. I cooked so many when i first got the egg that we only cook them for us maybe once or twice a year now. 
    But...this time of the year...homeade soups and chili...I can eat them every night of the week until it's gone.
    Wetumpka, Alabama
    LBGE and MM
  • LowandSlowJoe
    Options
    Thank you, Everyone, for the solid feedback.  I had not thought of donating to a shelter but that's a good idea.
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,888
    Options
    Thank you, Everyone, for the solid feedback.  I had not thought of donating to a shelter but that's a good idea.
    I can't help but tell you and others that read what @Thatgrimguy suggested to check with the "charity" food kitchen about accepting and NOT using your donated cooked food!

I served on the advisory board of a MAJOR charitable organization for some 20 years. I personally saw exactly what @Thatgrimguy said HAD to happen to stay within strict local health official's rules! 

Sometimes small food banks, churches and soup kitchens would risk not getting caught by the health food Nazi's, but getting caught would have dire consequets! 

Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • YukonRon
    Options
    There are always barriers to try and help.

There are shelters that will work with you.

Do not give up. Anything you can do will make a difference..

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky