Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Kick Ash Basket

I’m thinking of getting a Kick Ash Basket for my Egg. Does anyone have any comments on this item, positive or negative? Also, Amazon sells it for $89.99 with free shipping. Does anyone know of a retailer that might have a better price?

Thanks,
Gregory

Comments

• Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • Jupiter Jim
    Jupiter Jim Posts: 3,351
    Get it money well spent.....
    If you cane make it to the Georgia Mountain Eggfest they will be there selling at a discount.

I'm only hungry when I'm awake!

Okeechobee FL. Winter

West Jefferson NC Summer

• xfire_ATX
    xfire_ATX Posts: 1,110
    Ive had mine since Fathers Day- 
    At first I was so so with it but over time I have come to prefer it.

Cons- larger small pieces of charcoal go through it more so than the original grate.

Pros- So easy to pull all charcoal out, shake out ash.

Middle- Before I had to peek into bottom opening and decide if it was time to clean.  Now every time I pull the KAB to stir ashes I can see in and I am cleaning it out way more.  See Cons above.
    XLBGE, LBGECharbroil Gas Grill, Weber Q2000, Old Weber Kettle, Yeti 65, Yeti Hopper 20, RTIC 20, RTIC 20 Soft Side - Too many drinkware vessels to mention.

Not quite in Austin, TX City Limits
    Just Vote- What if you could choose "none of the above" on an election ballot? Millions of Americans do just that, in effect, by not voting.  The result in 2016: "Nobody" won more counties, more states, and more electoral votes than either candidate for president. 
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    I’m one of the only “meh” people here, it seems. It’s nice for tailgating, but I don’t see a benefit beyond that for someone that typically keeps the charcoal level above the height of the basket. It only goes part way up the fire bowl, and I keep my charcoal level at the fire ring. It’s easier to just stir the coals for me so I typically use an expanded steel grate, which also prevents the loss of the smaller charcoal pieces lost with the KAB. KAB comes out when I’m taking the egg somewhere because I can pull the hot coals out to let the ceramics cool down faster.
  • 1voyager
    1voyager Posts: 1,157
    I agree with @Jupiter Jim . Money well spent.

A quick shake of the of the KAB into a trash bag is a great way to get rid of ash from the previous cook.

Fire gets to target temperature faster.

I use much less Rockwood with the KAB. It paid for itself after a dozen or so cooks.

Large Egg, PGS A40 gasser.
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,880
    Have them in my L and S eggs and always will! Money well spent and beat the crap out of the grates that come with the eggs!
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • djmsalem
    djmsalem Posts: 46
    edited October 2019
    I've had mine for a couple of years. Air flow is much better, it holds up well compared to the ceramic or cast iron holders, and shaking out the ash is easy. It's true you'll get a little less volume, but I've never had a problem in my Large holding 225 degrees for 20 hours or more on a charge, so I'm very happy.
    Large BGE, Adjustable Rig, CyberQ, Ash Kicker, SmokeWare SS Chimney Top
  • One of the best upgrades 
  • I’d buy one before I even got an Egg! 
  • Thomasc18
    Thomasc18 Posts: 197
    I’ve got one on my med & xl. I believe money well spent. Easiest way to shake out ash. 
    Madison, AL
  • NorthPilot06
    NorthPilot06 Posts: 1,179
    1voyager said:
    I agree with @Jupiter Jim . Money well spent.

A quick shake of the of the KAB into a trash bag is a great way to get rid of ash from the previous cook.

Fire gets to target temperature faster.

I use much less Rockwood with the KAB. It paid for itself after a dozen or so cooks.

I don’t have one, so I can’t opine, but I wouldn’t oversell it. If it’s ~90 dollars and a bag of Rockwood is ~25 dollars, then that would mean that you saved about 3.5 bags of charcoal, or 70 lbs of charcoal, in 12 cooks. 

Not trying to get on your case, just want to be clear that it might take a little more time to pay for itself!
    DFW - 1 LGBE & Happy to Adopt More...
  • 1voyager
    1voyager Posts: 1,157
    edited October 2019
    @NorthPilot06 - I don't think you're getting on my case. IMHO, discussing pros/cons/recipes/techniques is what's so great about this forum.
    Large Egg, PGS A40 gasser.
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,984
    I have them. 

Do not know that I would get another one. I still rake ash out of the bottom, with about the same consistency, whether I use the basket or not. Stirring the lump seems to be easier, and less of a hassle.

I changed out the the cast iron grate with one that allows more airflow, so no advantage there.

Kind of agree with the primary use of tailgating or other travel situations, as was mentioned by @Eggcelsior
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • Jupiter Jim
    Jupiter Jim Posts: 3,351
    In the grand scheme of things Big Green Egg, the cost of a KAB is nothing, let's face it boys and girls as a  very good friend and fellow Egger has said many times it's Genocide on your wallet!
    Original cost, accessories, lump, meat, spices, rubs, sauces, adult beverages, eggfest.
    For me it's worth every penny.

I'm only hungry when I'm awake!

Okeechobee FL. Winter

West Jefferson NC Summer

• Got one. Love it. Makes shaking out questionable pieces and ash easy as pie. I also have the can below it to help get stuff out quick and easy when removing ash. Both are worth it.
  • Put me in the have-one-and-would-buy-again camp.
    Stillwater, MN