Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Turbo ribs

I just did turbo ribs for the first time
 Not sure I would do them again, the ribs were not as tender as I would have liked them. 

Comments

• johnmitchell
    johnmitchell Posts: 6,545
    I am interested in the drink, looks interesting.
    Greensboro North Carolina
    When in doubt Accelerate....
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    Love turbo ribs
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• I had a similar experience, but wondered if I got more caught up in determining doneness by  the time of the cook, rather than using toothpick and bend test. I like the idea of being finished in under two hours and will try them again.
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    You can always pull them, foil them, and rest them for 15-20 minutes to soften them up a little at the end.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • Give it another try, could have been just that batch of meat.  All cooks don't come out the same for reasons we can never identify....
  • Toxarch
    Toxarch Posts: 1,900
    Mine usually end up darker than that. Last time, I foiled them at 60 mins and then unwrapped and sauced at 100 mins and pulled at 110 mins and rested. They were perfect for me. They temp probed at 208. 
    Aledo, Texas
    Large BGE
    KJ Jr.

Exodus 12:9 KJV
    Eat not of it raw, nor sodden at all with water, but roast with fire; his head with his legs, and with the purtenance thereof.

• Wooderson
    Wooderson Posts: 350
    The wife and I love turbo ribs.   It's a texture thing
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669

Baby Back Turbo Ribs (No flip)

350  indirect for 1hr 40 min. 

Before cooking: Pull membrane , rub, mustard, rub. 

Put on at 350 and leave the hell alone for about that time. This is called turbo ribs and I will never go back to 4 and 5 hour ribs. 

Note: with or w/o mustard works .. I like Bad Byron's Butt Rub / I like cherry & pecan mix for wood. 

If you want sauce: opened 15 min early and sauce. I like the sauce on the table.

I don't cook over the 100 minutes. 

Be sure your temp gauge is correct.

IMG_1209JPG

Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• @SmokinBob629: This thread whetted my appetite to try and turbo cook some ribs, so I had my wife stop by Aldi's and pick some up this evening. Naturally, she got the thickest, meatiest ribs they had! Put them on at 350° indirect and set a timer for 1:40. Toothpick and bend test went okay, but I decided to leave them on a little longer. They were great!

• blind99
    blind99 Posts: 4,971
    If you want falling off the bone suuuuuper tender ribs this may not be right for you. But for me, turbo gives me perfect consistency. They are tender, pull cleanly off the bone. Really the only hitch I’ve had with them is when the quality of meat is subpar. 
    Chicago, IL - Large and Small BGE - Weber Gasser and Kettle
  • I am interested in the drink, looks interesting.
    Tree house brewing. Best IPAs
  • I am interested in the drink, looks interesting.
    What's on the rim of the glass?
  • AZEggDude said:
    I am interested in the drink, looks interesting.
    What's on the rim of the glass?
    It was a pumpkin spice beer with a sugar-cinnamon rim 
  • wardo
    wardo Posts: 398
    @smokinbob629, did you wrap the ribs?  Any details you can share on the cook?
    NC - LBGE
  • I'm looking to perfect my Turbo Ribs ( they're damn close now), but I've been thinking about changing up my process. I'm not happy with the thinner end of the rack - I like St Louis Style. At an hour 45 the thick end of the rack is perfect. But I find the thinner end dryer than I would like. Does anyone start the thin end 25 minutes into the cook or remove them earlier? I could switch to BB's but sure like StLS.... thoughts?
  • Clay Q
    Clay Q Posts: 4,486
    Try placing foil under ends to shield.  Foil removed to finish in this picture  
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,794
    edited October 2021
    @ldhaymond

I've done 2 things to address that issue.

1) In a typical platesetter setup there is more heat around the periphery of the egg than in the middle.  You can cut the rack in half and with each half rack put the thinner end toward the center.

2) When any portion of a rack (or half rack) is done, just slice off 2 or 3 ribs (whatever is truly done) and put them in foil and in a cooler to wait for their brethren to join them.  

It's nice to be able to present a whole beautiful rack of ribs, but ultimately they're going to get sliced.

And welcome aboard.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• jtcBoynton
    jtcBoynton Posts: 2,814
    Foghorn said:
    @ldhaymond

....... When any portion of a rack (or half rack) is done, just slice off 2 or 3 ribs (whatever is truly done) and put them in foil and in a cooler to wait for their brethren to join them.  ......
    OR - the couple of ribs removed could be sampled for "quality control" purposes!!!!
    Southeast Florida - LBGE
    In cooking, often we implement steps for which we have no explanations other than ‘that’s what everybody else does’ or ‘that’s what I have been told.’  Dare to think for yourself.

• Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,794
    Foghorn said:
    @ldhaymond

....... When any portion of a rack (or half rack) is done, just slice off 2 or 3 ribs (whatever is truly done) and put them in foil and in a cooler to wait for their brethren to join them.  ......
    OR - the couple of ribs removed could be sampled for "quality control" purposes!!!!
    Yes.  Absolutely.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX