Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

rEGGulator top

While at the Eggtoberfest, I saw that everyone was using the “new” rEGGulator top. I am still using the “daisy wheel” top that came with my Egg. Can anyone tell me whether it is worthwhile to upgrade to a rEGGulator or some other third-party product? Overall, I’ve been happy with the original daisy wheel top, but the openings do tend to get jammed up, restricting airflow. I would appreciate any suggestions. 

Thanks,
Gregory

Comments

• billt01
    billt01 Posts: 1,528
    love my stainless rain cap..they can keep the rEGGulator
    Have:
     XLBGE / Stumps Baby XL / Couple of Stokers (Gen 1 and Gen 3) / Blackstone 36 / Maxey 3x5 water pan hog cooker
    Had:
    LBGE / Lang 60D / Cookshack SM150 / Stumps Stretch / Stumps Baby

Fat Willies BBQ
    Ola, Ga

• xfire_ATX
    xfire_ATX Posts: 1,112
    I bought mine really for the rain shield option.

Right after I bought it summer happened and it stopped raining.  I tried it out once or twice since I bought it but I rarely use any cap.  The times I used it works fine- need to get used to the settings versus the DW

FINALLY here in ATX it started raining again while I was cooking so I pulled out the full setup..... and it stopped raining..... err.

Anyway what I hadnt thought about is that rain shield gets &%$# hot with 400 degree heated air going by it so DONT think oh ill just pull it off.

This is a great reference on the options
    https://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1219492/vent-cap-showdown-daisy-vs-smokeware-vs-reggulator-which-is-best-my-winner-is/p1
    XLBGE, LBGECharbroil Gas Grill, Weber Q2000, Old Weber Kettle, Yeti 65, Yeti Hopper 20, RTIC 20, RTIC 20 Soft Side - Too many drinkware vessels to mention.

Not quite in Austin, TX City Limits
    Just Vote- What if you could choose "none of the above" on an election ballot? Millions of Americans do just that, in effect, by not voting.  The result in 2016: "Nobody" won more counties, more states, and more electoral votes than either candidate for president. 
  • 1voyager
    1voyager Posts: 1,157
    edited October 2019
    The new cap was used by contestants at the Denver Eggtoberfest a few weeks ago. The build is up to the high quality standards that I would expect from BGE. Contestants agreed that it's a great alternative and wouldn't go back to the daisywheel. The EGGulator cap is a perfect solution against the severe winter/spring weather where I live in Southern Colorado. Unfortunately, it didn't exist when I bought the Smokeware cap. For my needs, the Smokeware cap works beautifully, but I would have purchased the rEGGulator if it had been available.
    Large Egg, PGS A40 gasser.
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,166
    I watched people pound on a smokeware cap to free it this past weekend. It’s a gunk hog. I still prefer the daisy. I just toss it in the hot egg when I shut it down. I’ve never had it stick in nearly a decade of egging. 
  • littlerascal56
    littlerascal56 Posts: 2,104
    edited October 2019
    The new caps are bringing $88.06 on Amazon, and even more on E-bay.  Tried to price one at my BGE dealer, and he can’t find price on his cost sheets!  Ouch!
  • 1voyager
    1voyager Posts: 1,157
    edited October 2019
    @DoubleEgger - I agree with you that the Smokeware cap is a gunk hog. I never had to use Easy-Off to clean the daisywheel. Come to think about it, I never had to clean the daisywheel.  =)
    Large Egg, PGS A40 gasser.
  • TEXASBGE2018
    TEXASBGE2018 Posts: 3,831
    edited October 2019
    new cap for a large egg runs about $50 at my local dealers. Of course the "rain Cap" is another $30 if you feel you need it.

Rockwall, Tx    LBGE, Minimax, 22" Blackstone, Pizza Party Bollore. Cast Iron Hoarder.

• I like it over the Daisy wheel if for nothing else that I can leave it on. Slide it closed and I'm done. Add the rain cap which is pretty important to me here in FL where rain can come and go in an instant and it is well worth the money. 

It does have a similar problem with gunk build up and can stick at times though. If coming from a dw it is worth it, from a smokeware cap probably not. 
  • my 2cents...

i bought into all the different crap I thought I needed when I first got the egg.  The ash tool, shovel, cast iron grates, pizza stone, smokeware cap, and so on...

I am back to the daisy wheel.  It's so easy to take off to get the fire going and put on.  I can adjust it first try to within about 10 degrees on the first try.  Water dripping in has never been an issue.   Smoke ware cap fit to tight which made it tough to get on and off and the adjustment seemed to be more finicky than I liked.

I love the cast iron grid, ash tool, shovel, and grid grabbing thingy..... A nice set of welding gloves to remove the place setter to do a final sear after low and slowing the first part of the cook is a must have too.

• lwrehm
    lwrehm Posts: 381
    my 2cents...

i bought into all the different crap I thought I needed when I first got the egg.  The ash tool, shovel, cast iron grates, pizza stone, smokeware cap, and so on...

I am back to the daisy wheel.  It's so easy to take off to get the fire going and put on.  I can adjust it first try to within about 10 degrees on the first try.  Water dripping in has never been an issue.   Smoke ware cap fit to tight which made it tough to get on and off and the adjustment seemed to be more finicky than I liked.

I love the cast iron grid, ash tool, shovel, and grid grabbing thingy..... A nice set of welding gloves to remove the place setter to do a final sear after low and slowing the first part of the cook is a must have too.

Why ever remove the smokeware cap?  I have had mine on for several years, I think I removed it once.
  •  I’d easily pay $50 for the regulator and sell my Smokeware cap for $25 on eBay!!
  • lwrehm said:
    my 2cents...

Why ever remove the smokeware cap?  I have had mine on for several years, I think I removed it once.
    The egg gets up to 500 in 10 -15 minutes without the cap, takes much longer if I just open the vents all the way.
  • @RdrGregory, lots of opinions, here is mine.  I used the daisy wheel for the last 10 years or so on my eggs.  No real problems to speak of.  I bought a smokeware, it did not solve any problems, but created a few for me.  It feels much cheaper, you must take a lot of care using it when hot, and the top very easily gets caught in a cover when removing it.  This is obviously not an issue for people that don't cover their eggs.

The reggulator came out, and it looked pretty cool for the $49 my dealer wanted.  I bought one, and simply loved its ease of use over the previous daisy wheel, and way better than the smokeware cap.  I went back and bought one for all of my eggs.  I like the way it looks, performs, doesn't move unless I do it, and it stays on the egg all of the time.  No more ceramic cap.

Picture of it on a few of my eggs.  The MM version even fits on my KJ jr.  Kinda cool.  If they make a mini version eventually, I will get that one too.

• I cooked on my eggs for years with daisies. Rain too. Never really had an issue other than the setting issue when opening the lid and really that is more of alcohol issue.....
    I have SW caps in both eggs and they do get a little gummed up. The other issue that the SW cap has that I didnt see with the daisy. The wind can be caught by the SW cap much easier than the daisy. With grate probe you can see an effect with wind being caught by the SW cap. In retrospect, probably not worth it but I'm not pissed off about it.
  • new cap for a large egg runs about $50 at my local dealers. Of course the "rain Cap" is another $30 if you feel you need it.

^^^^That's obscene !! 

I've never had to clean my daisy wheel. It works fine.

Weber Genesis CP310; Weber Q1200 (camping); LBGE.

"If you haven't heard a rumour by 8:30 am - start one"

• new cap for a large egg runs about $50 at my local dealers. Of course the "rain Cap" is another $30 if you feel you need it.

^^^^That's obscene !! 

I've never had to clean my daisy wheel. It works fine.

I bought one rain cap for my reggulators, it was the cost of a few steaks (new world currency).  Its still in the box almost six months later.  Maybe one day I will need it, but so far I just use the reggulator without it.  I like that BGE did not include it, I would say most dont need it, and it would have raised the price of the reggulator. 
  • I only use the daisy wheel. I never use the ceramic cap. I do not see any advantage whatsoever to buying any kind of different cap. My egg is also under an overhang so rain/snow will not fall on it. but even then, it would have to be really pouring something fierce to affect a cook.
    XL BGE and Kamado Joe Jr.
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    ...but even then, it would have to be really pouring something fierce to affect a cook.
    Or not. =)

@Spring Chicken photo

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Jupiter Jim
    Jupiter Jim Posts: 3,351
    I have been using smoke ware since it first hit the market and it works fine for me, have had no problem with gunk! I have had to pound on a dual function metal top before, just last weekend and Doubleregger told me to toss it in a hot egg to get it loosened up and that worked. Smoke ware does get hot as do they all!
    In reality they all work, I personally love my Smoke ware caps. 
    Apparently BGE recognized that the original Dual Function Metal Top (That has worked very well for many years) had some faults or they wouldn't have spent the time and funds in to improve it.
    Waiting for he Eggers that don't even use anything on the top and maintain temp control with bottom vent only!

I'm only hungry when I'm awake!

Okeechobee FL. Winter

West Jefferson NC Summer

• I’m going to check with other dealers in the area, and will purchase if I can get one for around &50!
  • td66snrf
    td66snrf Posts: 1,822
    Let me start by saying I learned about kamados 40 yrs ago. After doing the math I exaggerate I'm 62, and I met my FIL when I was 23 so only 39 years. Imperial kamados were sold in a storefront in the Belmont Shore area of Long Beach in the 60's when he bought his first one. Originally there was only the clay lid at the top which you just tilted for adjusting. At the bottom vent there was a clay plug that you tilted to control the air flow. I've seen top vents with daisy wheels only and slider only and the combination of the two. I never use the daisy wheel portion just the slider. I probably have at least four ceramic tops in my gasser island I never use them.  I don't see a reason to take off the cast iron lid. With the top slider wide open I've never had an issue in air flow.  I'm in SoCal  so rain isn't usually an issue but I've cooked in the rain more than once and I've never had an issue. I don't know about you guys but my slider at the top is only open 1/8 to  1/16th so how much rain could possibly get in. So I'm sure there will be many new tops in future but the cast iron slider works just fine for me. 
    XLBGE, LBGE, MBGE, SMALL, MINI, 2 Kubs, Fire Magic Gasser
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    A lot of egg accessories are solutions for perceived problems. Many folks “need” the smokeware cap (I have 2), or other things like the kick ash basket (have 2 of those as well), and temp controllers (yep, I’ve got one of those too). 

If you don’t have issues with the gear that you currently use, then you don’t need a solution for a problem that you don’t have. Re: the gunking up of the daisy wheel, you will have that issue to varying degrees, no matter which top vent accessory you use. I’ve had the smokeware caps for a few years, yes they stick just a bit, and yes they get hot, but that shouldn’t be a fault or surprising. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Just a tip, whenever I’m done cooking I put the daisy wheel on the grill , shut the lid and vents , and let the daisy wheel stay inside the entire time the egg cools down and until I’m ready to cook again.  Cleans all the gunk off of the wheel . 

1 Large Egg, Blackstone griddle

Belgium...........The Netherlands??

• TEXASBGE2018
    TEXASBGE2018 Posts: 3,831
    edited October 2019
    Just bit the bullet and bought 2 of the reggulators.  1 for my large and 1 for my son's minimax. They are worth the price. I've been getting frustrated the last couple of weeks now that im back in a house again and can actually egg. My DFMT on my large was fine, but the mini max loses settings every time I open the lid no matter which way I set the thing. My one complaint is that even though I don't need them, It should include the "rain guard". Forking over another 30 bucks for that is ridiculous.

Rockwall, Tx    LBGE, Minimax, 22" Blackstone, Pizza Party Bollore. Cast Iron Hoarder.

• Anyone have problems with the sealing on the reggulator? Mine leaks smoke from underneath. I want the smoke coming out the top opening, not out of the bottom edge of the reggulator.
  • alaskanassasin
    alaskanassasin Posts: 7,642
    edited August 2020
    @tacomeat mine doesn’t fit with the gasket in place, and I know it would be too big with the gasket off, plus it takes two hands to  shut it or it will spin, the rubber tab wants to fall off. Not a fan. 
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• Thanks. At least I'm not the only one. I gave away my daisy wheel thinking I was all good. Live and learn!