Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Smobot

I have owned many different kinds of smokers, from stick burners to pellet grills. Finally got an egg about 3 years ago and am very happy with it. My wife bought me a Smobot for my birthday and just got around to trying it out today. Got a pork butt going as I post this. Started out set for 130 and it went up to 160 with the damper closed all the way. So I closed the bottom vent to about a quarter. Then noticed the damper was not flush with the top, tightened it up so it was flush and the temp went down to 132. So now for my question does anyone have any tricks or tips for using this.   

Comments

• Made a mistake all the temps are in the 200s not 100s
  • Personally I run the bottom vent about like I would when not using the Smobot 
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,984
    I think Smobot has a recommendation for the bottom vent opening. Something like a 1/3 or 1/4 open? Your owners manual should have it, if not it is on line.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,984
    I think Smobot has a recommendation for the bottom vent opening. Something like a 1/3 or 1/4 open? Your owners manual should have it, if not it is on line.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • i believe it says open it to 1/2. The temp stabilized after I tightened up the top damper and closed the bottom vent to about 1/4, did them both at the same time so I don't know which one helped the most.
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 18,945
    I run bottom damper about 1/2 open.  I have found the key is leak free setup.  The smobot is Rock solid from 200 - 350 on my eggs when I have good sealing gaskets.  On my eggs with bad gaskets it is great from 235 - 350.

Key is to play with it.  I also set my first temp about 15deg below what I really want.  As it ramps close and starts to settle out I bump it up to my final temp.

I know Eric and Curtis have it coded to not overshoot now, but I got into that habit on my beta unit and have never changed.
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • 1/2 open has worked just fine for me at a variety of temps.
    Stillwater, MN
  • I was one of the initial beta testers of the unit. I absolutely love it and really have never had an issue. If yiu are cooking below 300 you need the bottom famper closed halfway. Above 300 open it the whole way.

Make sure your temp probe is in a good place in the grate. If its over the edge when going indirect you will get a false read. I often just clip it to my thermo stem in the lid.

There is also an open lid function you want to make sure you have on. This keeps the temp from spiking when you open the lid. This is a very helpful feature you want to make sure you have turned on.

I hope that helps. I've used my unit for years practically flawlessly and have loved it. I done many overnight brisket cooks with the temp at a dead straight line. Excellent product!!
    Pittsburgh, PA - 1 LBGE
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,432
    Make sure your temp probe is in a good place in the grate. I often just clip it to my thermo stem in the lid.
    Aw man, THANK YOU SIR!!  I drop my smoking chips in after the Egg is up to temp, have to remove my grate to do so, and because I'm always using the wider-bar CI grate, the alligator clip of the Smobot always springs off, I add the meat and grab it to reattach, burn my fingers, say a bad word, try to find my glove, etc.  
    You just solved a problem for me, THANKS again!  :triumph:

"I mean, I don't just kill guys, I'm notorious for doing in houseplants."  - Maggie, Northern Exposure