Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Surf and Turf: Help Me Plan

We have some friends coming up from SC next weekend and I want to prepare a nice meal for them. I'm thinking surf and turf would be nice and the surf will definitely be MD crab cakes but what else? I was thinking prime rib would be good as I've always wanted to do it and this would be an excellent excuse but then I'm psyching myself out about nailing something I've never cooked/not having a cutting board with a deep groove/etc... so I started thinking about tri-tip. Then I'm thinking tri-tip isn't quite on par with the crab cakes, basically I need you guys to tell me to stop being such a B and make that prime rib.

If I do go prime rib, how big should I go for 4 people? Should I buy it this weekend and dry age for a week?

Sides? Thinking asparagus and herb roasted potatoes but would something seasonal like butternut/acorn squash work well here? 

Thanks in advance for any help, I'm pumped for this cook no matter what I end up deciding.
Frederick, MD - LBGE and some accessories

Comments

• buzd504
    buzd504 Posts: 3,824
    edited October 2019
    Prime rib is great and pretty easy to cook.  I wouldn't really worry about dry aging for that short of time, but it will benefit for a few days uncovered (and unwrapped) in the fridge to dry it out.  I love asparagus as a side, and someone posted a double baked butternut squash on here recently that looked great.  Can't go wrong with potatoes either.  You got this.

For size, I'd probably look at about 6lbs, 3-4 bones. That should give you some decent leftovers.
    NOLA
  • My dude.

Bones on or off? Do I need to tie this thing up before I cook it?
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,795
    Many of us like the bones "Frenched" - cut mostly off, but you cook with them on.  Then they are very easy to cut off when you are done.  I like the presentation better when people see it with the bones.  Some think it makes the meat taste better too - which may or may not be true.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    You can go full-on Maryland with crab cakes and pit beef too. Someone here knows a little bit about that...
  • I remember reading something about that but pit beef doesn't scream fancy dinner to me, I'll have to table that for now. Wouldn't I also need a meat slicer?
  • Eggcelsior
    Who says a sliced beef sandwich isn’t fancy? ;) I might know a guy with a slicer too.
  • Eggcelsior
    Also, if you want to go really nuts, you can ask Wegmans for a dry-aged roast to be cut. Otherwise, their CAB beef can be requested as well, plus is usually on display at the meat counter. Another option is going through Wagners in Mount Airy. I have had excellent results with all beef products I get from them.
  • It pays to know people.

This may have to be my inaugural trip to Wagners, I've been wanting to head up there for a while. I should probably call ahead right? Think they would 'french' it for me?

I'm also thinking I will hit up Lighthouse Seafood for my j-lump. This would be another inaugural visit, have you been there before? I've only heard good things.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,665
    two 2 bone roasts, cook it like you cook a steak. slice it in half like a prime rib, no juices going everywhere. everyone gets a perfectly cooked end cut
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • buzd504
    two 2 bone roasts, cook it like you cook a steak. slice it in half like a prime rib, no juices going everywhere. everyone gets a perfectly cooked end cut
    Those end pieces are really good...
    NOLA
  • two 2 bone roasts, cook it like you cook a steak. slice it in half like a prime rib, no juices going everywhere. everyone gets a perfectly cooked end cut
    Can't tell if joking or serious... 
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,665
    buzd504 said:
    Those end pieces are really good...
    on a big roast the ends get a little overcooked, the smaller 2 bone you can nail the doneness better
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Eggcelsior
    It pays to know people.

This may have to be my inaugural trip to Wagners, I've been wanting to head up there for a while. I should probably call ahead right? Think they would 'french' it for me?

I'm also thinking I will hit up Lighthouse Seafood for my j-lump. This would be another inaugural visit, have you been there before? I've only heard good things.
    I have not. I actually get my lump at Wegmans when they have the Maryland crab in stock. It isn’t cheap, and I believe it’s around $36-40/lb. Otherwise, the domestic stuff is usually from Louisiana, and sometimes the Virginia tidewater area.
  • buzd504
    It pays to know people.

I have not. I actually get my lump at Wegmans when they have the Maryland crab in stock. It isn’t cheap, and I believe it’s around $36-40/lb. Otherwise, the domestic stuff is usually from Louisiana, and sometimes the Virginia tidewater area.

Nothing wrong with Louisiana crab, although I agree that sourcing it from closer would imply a fresher product, which makes a big difference with crab.
    NOLA
  • JohnEggGio
    JohnEggGio Posts: 1,430
    Just checked the price of jumbo lump at Lighthouse...$39.99.
    Maryland, 1 LBGE
  • I think since we are having the prime rib too, I can probably get away with 1lb for 4 cakes? Otherwise I would roll 1lb for 2 cakes.
  • JohnEggGio
    I like to go with 1/2 jumbo lump and 1/2 backfin.  Could make some crab salad with extra...  Goes nice with eggs, bagels the next day.
    Maryland, 1 LBGE
  • Got to throw some shrimp skewers on the grill ahead of time for appetizers!
  • Gonna go buy a 3-4lb roast tonight and ask to have it 'frenched', I wonder if wegmans will do that? Tips on how to season? A herb-butter looks pretty simple/tasty, is that a good way to go for my first one?

How about sauces? I'm going to make a creamy horseradish but should I also make an au jus with the drippings?
  • Eggcelsior
    Wegmans will french one. Dry-brine the roast open in the fridge for at least 24 hours, if possible. Wegmans also sells some compound butters that are good but they are also pretty easy to make. You could also do a wine-reduction sauce or just straight horseradish. 
  • JohnEggGio
    If you like hot horseradish...got this via Amazon.  Powerful!

Maryland, 1 LBGE