Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT - Mountain Biking

Comments

• Cornholio
    Cornholio Posts: 1,047
    ryantt said:

I still love to ride, it’s been awhile bc of back issues, but most of the spring-early winter you’ll find it’s on the trail. We are blessed enough to have 36 or so miles of towpath trail 2min from our house.

In the old days I wanted to be Hans no way Ray If you guys remember him! My friends and I use to ride over to the McKinley monument and ride down the steps, or see if we could clear the top flight....thinking about it now maybe that’s why some of us walk and move like we’re in our mid 90’s.

These are the steps we use to ride and try to jump down. Sometimes I wish we had GoPro cameras when I was young....then I remember all the stupid stuff we did, and am thankful not to have video of it all over the internet.

Nice!  Hans Rey is still very active in the mountain bike scene.  He lives here in Orange County, Laguna Beach to be exact.  Lots of “pros” live in the area because of the year round world class trails in LB and the surrounding areas.

Speaking of Laguna Beach, just saw this rattler while riding there after work on Tuesday.

• Cornholio
    Shameless post showing off my 3 year old son riding a pedal bike for the first time today.  Proud dad, to say the least.  (Short video link as well)

https://www.pinkbike.com/video/505696/

• I have been wrenching on by MTB for the last few weeks. I took it out and rode it, broke some stuff, found out what needed adjusting, etc. Local fat tire festival is in october! 

2 LBGE, Blackstone 36, Jumbo Joe

Egging in Southern Illinois (Marion)

• SciAggie
    SciAggie Posts: 6,481
    @Cornholio Nice! Congratulations!
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • I used to do allot of riding, Turner 5 Spot, now the dog takes first priority, if she doesn't have a run my socks and shoes catch hell.

• Cornholio
    While mountain biking is still always on my mind I don’t have as much time for it as I used to. Luckily it’s due to me riding bikes around the neighborhood with my son since he just learned how to ride a bike (as I posted above). 

He’s really catching the bug and I even got him out on some dirt recently. We pretty much ride every day after I get home from work.

First pedal on dirt:

Yesterday:

I still get out on my own though:

Happy trails!
  • Next door neighbor has a $6K road bike that is all carbon.  And full spandex riding gear.  Makes my Gary Fisher mountain bike look like a toy!
  • Cornholio
    Next door neighbor has a $6K road bike that is all carbon.  And full spandex riding gear.  Makes my Gary Fisher mountain bike look like a toy!
    That bike I’m on above your post is pretty much all carbon, and I wear “spandex” as well. I just wear clothes over the bib (spandex). 

It’s also a toy. I ride it on anything from 30+ mile death marches to chairlift days at the bike park. 

$6k is nothing crazy when talking bikes, road or mountain. 
  • NorthPilot06
    NorthPilot06 Posts: 1,179
    Yeah, to echo @Cornholio - I have a ~$2K road bike, and that’s every level carbon for the most part. Easy to go up from there, even north of $10K 
    DFW - 1 LGBE & Happy to Adopt More...
  • SciAggie
    SciAggie Posts: 6,481
    My daily "ride everywhere" gravel bike was a bit North of $3500. I ride it more miles annually than my pickup though. I laugh and tell people it is full carbon, disk brakes, Italian leather seating, with full GPS turn-by-turn navigation. That's actually nicer than my pickup so maybe that's not too expensive in the long run?
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • milesvdustin
    milesvdustin Posts: 2,882
    I just had my rear shock rebuilt by risse, and its leaking oil again. Looking at hardtail frames to swap all my stuff to and 86 the epic 

• I just had my rear shock rebuilt by risse, and its leaking oil again. Looking at hardtail frames to swap all my stuff to and 86 the epic 
    Your rear shock is not air charged?
    Gittin' there...
  • U_tarded
    U_tarded Posts: 2,041

I just had my rear shock rebuilt by risse, and its leaking oil again. Looking at hardtail frames to swap all my stuff to and 86 the epic 
    Do it, modern geometry is great on these newer bikes.  I ride a giant fanthom (step up from entry level) but wish I would have gotten something with a little more travel and a little less XC geometry.  I don’t even know if I would bother swapping over components because a full build is usually a better deal, plus there are some new standards that might give you fits (boost spacing comes to mind).  Check out the NukeProof Scout, if I was starting over again this is what I would look at. 
  • milesvdustin
    Its air and oil. It's the original specialized brain shock. 

I want a hardtail frame but also swap all my parts. Mainly a 26er with 135mm rear spacing. 

• Cornholio
    Air shocks have oil and require regular maintenance. The alternative, coil, also requires regular maintenance that includes changing the oil (and seals).  
  • My Stumpy from that vintage had an Air Vanilla. Figured Miles may have something similar. A little assembly grease on the rod of those is nothing I would lose sleep over.

I can't suggest throwing good money after bad by fixing up anything in a 26. Been there, done that. Rode well enough to get me back into the sport and give me the upgrade bug, but that money would have been better spent on a new bike.
    Gittin' there...
  • milesvdustin
    My flavor of bikes are real expensive, a couple hundred for a shock rebuild wasn't bad, but now its leaking again. Not just a little bit either, it's all down the chain stays. 

All the components are fine, just the rear shock is proprietary and there are no replacements for it. This is the epic, not a stumpy. 

Nothing wrong with a 26 in my opinion 

• Sounds like a 2005ish Epic.

Agreed. Nothing wrong with an older 26, especially if it makes you happy. Best of luck to you on your journey.
    Gittin' there...
  • milesvdustin
    I am pretty sure it's a 2003 frame, and it's made me vow to never buy any proprietary shock frame again. 

I'm staring down some chinese carbon frames now. 

• U_tarded
    U_tarded Posts: 2,041

The weather went from surface of the sun hot here to fairly brisk in the last week.  If you brave to cold it’s pretty nice to be one of the few out on the trails. 
  • Cornholio
    I am pretty sure it's a 2003 frame, and it's made me vow to never buy any proprietary shock frame again. 

Special Ed is awful regarding proprietary components. I prefer to buy a frame and build my own bikes but that can get pretty expensive depending on your budget and will power to not buy top of the line components.
  • Cornholio
    Good ride this morning, luckily I get Columbus Day off.

15.5mi and 2800’ of climbing.

• milesvdustin
    Cornholio said:

Special Ed is awful regarding proprietary components. I prefer to buy a frame and build my own bikes but that can get pretty expensive depending on your budget and will power to not buy top of the line components.
    I spent a crapload of money on my bike now. Planning on swapping it all to a new frame and riding it from there for a few years at least. 

• xfire_ATX
    xfire_ATX Posts: 1,110
    Picked up my new ride today.....!!!!

XLBGE, LBGECharbroil Gas Grill, Weber Q2000, Old Weber Kettle, Yeti 65, Yeti Hopper 20, RTIC 20, RTIC 20 Soft Side - Too many drinkware vessels to mention.

Not quite in Austin, TX City Limits
    Just Vote- What if you could choose "none of the above" on an election ballot? Millions of Americans do just that, in effect, by not voting.  The result in 2016: "Nobody" won more counties, more states, and more electoral votes than either candidate for president. 
  • NorthPilot06
    NorthPilot06 Posts: 1,179
    Nice looking ride!
    DFW - 1 LGBE & Happy to Adopt More...
  • Carbon?
    Gittin' there...
  • xfire_ATX
    Carbon?
    No Carbon was twice the price 
    XLBGE, LBGECharbroil Gas Grill, Weber Q2000, Old Weber Kettle, Yeti 65, Yeti Hopper 20, RTIC 20, RTIC 20 Soft Side - Too many drinkware vessels to mention.

Just Vote- What if you could choose "none of the above" on an election ballot? Millions of Americans do just that, in effect, by not voting.  The result in 2016: "Nobody" won more counties, more states, and more electoral votes than either candidate for president. 
  • What trail?
    Gittin' there...
  • milesvdustin
    Is that a niner? 

• xfire_ATX
    Is that a niner? 
    Scott Genius.  My 3rd Scott I've picked up, really like them.