Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Show me your "stick"

Options

Comments

• pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    Reminds me of a man I used to visit on death row. He was a big Chris Stapleton fan. 
    You obviously live a fuller life than do I. I will assume you two were sans the bourbon and cigar???
    Yes, the music reminded me...not the bourbon and cigar! I still haven't smoked that big 5 Vegas, but have been enjoying others! 
    I like Stapleton and a few others that are a bit unpolished in their life experience.  You can kinda feel their experiences through their music. I’m sure that’s the idea anyway. It works for me. 

I had had me another big Punch on the rain soaked golf course Sunday. Lasted all 18 holes. Well, 16 holes anyway. Don’t rush it, sometimes you just got to have the correct timing. Cheers!
  • pgprescott
    Options
    Dalwhinnie 15 and a Montecristo 
  • SmokeyLopey
    Options
    Love those Montecristos! Bought some on a deal once and been waiting for another sale.
  • pgprescott
    Options
    Love those Montecristos! Bought some on a deal once and been waiting for another sale.
    I think they were a real cheap buy as an add on to something I bought from one of the online purveyors. 
  • SmokeyLopey
    Options
    I think they were a real cheap buy as an add on to something I bought from one of the online purveyors. 
    Do you get most of your cigars online, or do you have a good local source? If online, where?
  • pgprescott
    Options
    Do you get most of your cigars online, or do you have a good local source? If online, where?
    Most online. I’m in a small market area. Use Thompson, JR, CI, Mike’s and Privada cigar club. Love the shops in large markets and would definitely utilize that asset if available to me 
  • BigreenGreg
    Options
    Liga Privada #9 with some Craig Isle 25. Bought these for Butt Blast and am thinking how happy I am that I got to share these with Doc. Met him one time and I’m still blown away.

LBGE, 36" Blackstone, Anova Pro
    Charleston, SC
  • pgprescott
    Options
    Liga Privada #9 with some Craig Isle 25. Bought these for Butt Blast and am thinking how happy I am that I got to share these with Doc. Met him one time and I’m still blown away.

Interesting, I thought of Brent earlier when I noticed I had just one more Griffin’s in my stash. 

Enjoy your cigar and your memories. 
  • pgprescott
    Options
    Paul Stulac from Privada club. Paired with an old fashion. Cheers all!
  • TTC
    TTC Posts: 1,035
    Options

XL BGE, Blackstone, Roccbox, Weber Gasser, Brown Water, Cigars --  Gallatin, TN

2001 Mastercraft Maristar 230 VRS

Ikon pass 

Colorado in the winter and the Lake in the Summer
  • MCRyan
    MCRyan Posts: 167
    Options
    Hey Folks!  I’ve been getting a stogie or two for the past several weeks and I’ve been enjoying the pleasure that a nice burn can bring; especially on the weekend.  Can you all please recommend some mild cigars for me?  I know that is a very subjective request, but there appears to be some legitimate experts on this thread!  I say mild because my palate is fairly sensitive...  The last ”robust” cigar I had was way beyond my limit and it did not sit well with me.  Probably a mix of booze, cigar size and inhaling that was a horrible combination.   There is a really great cigar store about a mile up the road that is excellent, I’d rather have your solicited advice.  Your knowledge and insight is too great NOT to take advantage of!!!
    XLBGE, SS table
    McKinney, TX.
  • tbutleriv
    Options
    50th Anniversary Davidoff

• tbutleriv
    Options
    @MCRyan I am a big fan of Rocky Patel 1990, CAO America, and most Gurhka options. For a mild flavor look for Connecticut cut wrappings. These are light in color and provide a mild flavor. Key items to keep in mind: store in a humidor at 70 degrees and 70% humidity. This will make sure your draw is not harsh and the flavor smooth. Also keep cigars in the plastic wrapping. They are designed to allow the humity through and keeps each cigar safe. There is a story behind that comment I can share another time. Well buy a variety and enjoy. There are so many options out there. I know you will find what you like.
  • TTC
    TTC Posts: 1,035
    Options

Liga Privada Feral. Worth the exorbitant cost. 
    XL BGE, Blackstone, Roccbox, Weber Gasser, Brown Water, Cigars --  Gallatin, TN

2001 Mastercraft Maristar 230 VRS

Ikon pass 

Colorado in the winter and the Lake in the Summer
  • SmokeyLopey
    Options
    MCRyan said:
    Hey Folks!  I’ve been getting a stogie or two for the past several weeks and I’ve been enjoying the pleasure that a nice burn can bring; especially on the weekend.  Can you all please recommend some mild cigars for me?  I know that is a very subjective request, but there appears to be some legitimate experts on this thread!  I say mild because my palate is fairly sensitive...  The last ”robust” cigar I had was way beyond my limit and it did not sit well with me.  Probably a mix of booze, cigar size and inhaling that was a horrible combination.   There is a really great cigar store about a mile up the road that is excellent, I’d rather have your solicited advice.  Your knowledge and insight is too great NOT to take advantage of!!!
    You may find it helpful to visit some cigar websites, like Cigars International. They carry many brands and have a scale for most cigars to indicate how strong or full bodied they are. They also have some good deals on cigars! Whether you buy from them, or not, you can use them as a resource to research the cigars your local store has in stock. The owner of the store should be a good resource and will likely be glad to help you discover what you like. A mild cigar I enjoy is Baccarat.

I hope this helps.
  • pgprescott
    Options
    MCRyan said:
    When I started out I purchased a bunch of sampler bundles. I found I liked the fuller bodied sticks with darker wrappers in general. Also the size and shapes of the sticks vary and are critical to my buying patterns. I started thinking I would smoke Connecticut wrapper Churchills but soon found I like a slightly shorter cigar and darker wrappers. Enjoy the journey. 
  • pgprescott
    Options
  • BugFreak72
    Options
    Finally cooling off here in FL. 
  • Aubie1
    Aubie1 Posts: 436
    Options

XL BGE and L BGE
  • pgprescott
    Options
    Paired with some coffee. Very nice!
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    Need some help.

I received a box of cigars that I am wanting to keep for several months. These are top quality, and not being a cigar afficienard, I would aprreciate any help in keeping them in good order until shared in April 2020.

I do not have a humidor, so that is out. I was just hoping there would be some sort of suggestions or SOPs to manage and keep.

Thank you in advance for any guidance you may offer.

"Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • NCSmoky
    NCSmoky Posts: 515
    edited October 2019
    Options

@YukonRon A tupperware container larger than the box of cigars with a 70% Boveda pack should work. Might have to change the Boveda packs every couple of months. If they are Cubans maybe go with a 65% Boveda pack

• YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    NCSmoky said:

@YukonRon A tupperware container larger than the box of cigars with a 70% Boveda pack should work. Might have to change the Boveda packs every couple of months

@NCSmoky
    Ok....can do. What is a boveda pack and where would I find one?

Thank you so much.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • pgprescott
    Options
    YukonRon said:
    NCSmoky said:

@YukonRon A tupperware container larger than the box of cigars with a 70% Boveda pack should work. Might have to change the Boveda packs every couple of months

@NCSmoky

Thank you so much.
    Any local cigar shop will have them or Amazon. 

• Aubie1
    Aubie1 Posts: 436
    Options

Yesterday afternoon at the beach.
    XL BGE and L BGE
  • pgprescott
    Options
    Another awesome stick compliments of @Aubie1. I have a feeling this gracious act of kindness is going to ultimately bite me in the wallet. Very nice!
  • MaskedMarvel
    MaskedMarvel Posts: 3,142
    Options
    YukonRon said:
    NCSmoky said:

@NCSmoky

Thank you so much.
    And keep them cool. Under 80*.  There’s a tobacco work that can hatch over that temp and bore holes in your cigar. 

Freezing them for a few days can kill them and not hurt the cigar, if I remember correctly. 
    Large BGE and Medium BGE
    36" Blackstone - Greensboro!

• MaskedMarvel
    MaskedMarvel Posts: 3,142
    Options

Large BGE and Medium BGE
    36" Blackstone - Greensboro!