Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT Soft Serve Ice Cream Machine

Options
I’m sure many of you are like me. Following a nice bbq meal, topping the day/evening with ice cream is a must. I’m interested in purchasing a soft serve machine and wondering how many of you have one and what brand/model is a good one?? I surely enjoy hard ice cream and go through my share of it but I would like to be able to serve soft serve as well. Thanks for any insight. I’ve looked on Amazon for options and thought I’d ask here to see what some of you are using.

Comments

• johnmitchell
    johnmitchell Posts: 6,570
    Options
    Calling @NPHuskerFL..Blake I am sure could point you in the right direction on a commercial unit..
    Greensboro North Carolina
    When in doubt Accelerate....
  • EggNorth
    EggNorth Posts: 1,535
    Options
    We got a previous model of this Amazon ice cream maker last year and are happy with it.  It's not a "soft" ice cream maker, but the ice cream is soft when you first make it.

Once you put it in the freezer for a while it gets hard.

It takes about 20 mn to make ice cream.   So after the meal we turn it on and the 'soft' ice cream is ready when we are.   I believe it would melt too fast for a cone at this time.

It's great ice cream!  We only make vanilla and of course chocolate (no twist)

Short story on melting ice cream :   Years ago I had a tub of no-name ice cream in the freezer and the freezer broke.  I dumped the "ice cream" in the sink and forgot about it.  A week later the "ice cream" was still mostly in it's shape from when I dumped it there!  So now I make homemade.
    Dave
    Cambridge, Ontario - Canada
    Large (2010), Mini Max (2015), Large garden pot (2018)
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    Just my $.02 but I would try making it with equipment I already have. Found this that uses a kitchenaid and a blender:

https://www.chefsteps.com/activities/soft-serve-ice-cream

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• Tekkamaki
    Options
    I help our business students maintain a small Taylor commercial machine at the school as a fundraiser.  To refer to these machines as finicky would be an understatement. 
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    Tekkamaki said:
    I help our business students maintain a small Taylor commercial machine at the school as a fundraiser.  To refer to these machines as finicky would be an understatement. 
    That's because Taylor is 💩
    In fact they are so awesome McDonald's has a separate app just so you know when their ice cream machine isn't working and they use Taylor exclusively. So I guess Taylor has that going for them as well.

LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • NPHuskerFL
    edited October 2019
    Options
    @johnmitchell I saw the thread this morning but I wasn't going to respond. Seemed like a fishing Expedition. I mean really who wants to buy a $13K-$90K machine when all they have to do is get there fat ass into a car and go through the drive-thru. Yes I work on them and yes I know about as much as I want to know but I would have absolutely no desire in having one of my own. I wouldn't even want to do it with a KitchenAid. In KitchenAid has all of the bells and whistles to go with it but by the time you go through all of that pain of making the ice cream with the KitchenAid the yield is very low. I just don't see a point in a consumer owning a commercial ice cream machine. "Eventually the new wears off". But if that's what you're into have at it @Jonnysouth
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • NPHuskerFL
    edited October 2019
    Options
    If I was so inclined to purchase one, which I'm not, I would look for a ice cream joint that has went tits up and is looking to unload their machines on the cheap. I would buy a Slimline Stoelting air cooled.  Air cooled only unless you want to waste a ton of water or have stupid money and want to waste it on a cooling tower loop.  ElectroFreeze single barrel or double barrel.  I had an opportunity to purchase a ice cream parlor that went tits up about 2 years ago Turn-Key they wanted 90k including all of their equipment (8 water cooled ElectroFreeze double barrel units). Truthfully it was a bargain but I have no interest in such a venture.
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • TEXASBGE2018
    TEXASBGE2018 Posts: 3,831
    Options
    You must really really really like soft serve icecream to want to fork over several thousand dollars for a machine that makes it.

Rockwall, Tx    LBGE, Minimax, 22" Blackstone, Pizza Party Bollore. Cast Iron Hoarder.

• Jonnysouth
    Options
    Well, I do like ice cream but not to the extent of 13-90k. I was hoping for one that would make a nice soft serve cone for get togethers and such and if the ones on Amazon were any good. I’m in the Pasteurization Industry with the Plate Heat Exchangers so I’m just supporting my industry!! The key thing is, I want to make my cone as big as I want instead of paying $5.00 for something 2” above the cone!! 😁
  • td66snrf
    td66snrf Posts: 1,822
    Options
    It's not uncommon for buffets around here to have self serve soft ice cream machines. You could take the wife out to dinner and you can eat all the  soft serve you want. 
    XLBGE, LBGE, MBGE, SMALL, MINI, 2 Kubs, Fire Magic Gasser
  • theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    Options
    Well, I do like ice cream but not to the extent of 13-90k. I was hoping for one that would make a nice soft serve cone for get togethers and such and if the ones on Amazon were any good. I’m in the Pasteurization Industry with the Plate Heat Exchangers so I’m just supporting my industry!! The key thing is, I want to make my cone as big as I want instead of paying $5.00 for something 2” above the cone!! 😁
    Order two
  • buzd504
    buzd504 Posts: 3,824
    edited October 2019
    Options

NOLA
  • Dobie
    Dobie Posts: 3,361
    edited October 2019
    Options
    I’m pretty much grossed out by the local restaurant reports to eat soft serve 🍦 
    barf 🤢 
    Jacksonville FL
  • Jonnysouth
    Options

This is how soft serve cones should look! 😁
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,471
    Options
    Has anyone tried a potato ricer?  

Remember when teachers used to say 'You won't have a calculator everywhere you go'?  Well, we showed them.

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    I like the Binford Tools Listeria 2000 with the Kanooter Valve