Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Ordered the new Kamado Joe wire mesh fiberglass gasket

Options

Comments

• speed51133
    Options
    Is that like a solid inch of gasket material? I think you need one more gasket in there, between the two. 
    XL BGE and Kamado Joe Jr.
  • haroldopsf
    Options
    Is that like a solid inch of gasket material? I think you need one more gasket in there, between the two. 
    haha! I know, right? People tell me "I have a gasket", I tell them that is not a gasket, this is a gasket!

• OshawaDave
    Options
    I've had my LBGE for 3 years and the gasket looks like crap and has been pinched down in several areas. It doesn't seem to leak and will pass the dollar bill test. I can dial it down to 250 degrees no problem. Optically, it annoys me, but, it still functions so I stopped fretting about replacing it and left it alone.

Weber Genesis CP310; Weber Q1200 (camping); LBGE.

"If you haven't heard a rumour by 8:30 am - start one"

• NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options

LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    I'm not going to lie I'm kind of intrigued. The one thing I dislike about the Rutland is once food gets embedded it's difficult to get it clean without disrupting the fiberglass or the graphite that's in the gasket itself. I'm not knocking the fact that you can hit it with as much heat as you want and it won't destroy it. And truthfully the cost is kind of a non-issue if you only have to do it once. It would be sort of cool if KJ had one that fit the LG & MM.  $100 seems a bit steep but I assure you I have spent money on far more foolish things. That said my Rutland is still going strong on my large. My MM needs a gasket replacement.
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,345
    Options
    I'm not going to lie I'm kind of intrigued. The one thing I dislike about the Rutland is once food gets embedded it's difficult to get it clean without disrupting the fiberglass or the graphite that's in the gasket itself. I'm not knocking the fact that you can hit it with as much heat as you want and it won't destroy it. And truthfully the cost is kind of a non-issue if you only have to do it once. It would be sort of cool if KJ had one that fit the LG & MM.  $100 seems a bit steep but I assure you I have spent money on far more foolish things. That said my Rutland is still going strong on my large. My MM needs a gasket replacement.
    KJ uses that gasket on both their 24" and 18" models so the 18" should fit the Large. They don't use the new gasket on their Jr. so they won't have one to fit the MiniMax or Small BGE.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• alaskanassasin
    Options
    Someone should go halves on it, or install one and sell the other. 
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• xfire_ATX
    xfire_ATX Posts: 1,112
    Options
    I've had my LBGE for 3 years and the gasket looks like crap and has been pinched down in several areas. It doesn't seem to leak and will pass the dollar bill test. I can dial it down to 250 degrees no problem. Optically, it annoys me, but, it still functions so I stopped fretting about replacing it and left it alone.
    I bought mine used (although not to the extent I use it) 6 years ago and I am bascially ceramic to ceramic.  I have zero issues with hold any temps but I know one day I should get off my butt and put something there.
    XLBGE, LBGECharbroil Gas Grill, Weber Q2000, Old Weber Kettle, Yeti 65, Yeti Hopper 20, RTIC 20, RTIC 20 Soft Side - Too many drinkware vessels to mention.

Not quite in Austin, TX City Limits
    Just Vote- What if you could choose "none of the above" on an election ballot? Millions of Americans do just that, in effect, by not voting.  The result in 2016: "Nobody" won more counties, more states, and more electoral votes than either candidate for president. 
  • GoooDawgs
    GoooDawgs Posts: 1,060
    Options
    That is pretty nice....  I'm with @NPHuskerFL
    Milton, GA 
    XL BGE & FB300
  • Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,515
    edited September 2019
    Options
    I still do not see the reason they have that gasket on the top and bottom.  Whether it's automotive, home windows, or anything else, there's only one gasket on one side.  Two gaskets smooshed together do not form a better seal than one smooshed against a smooth hard surface.  A gasket itself can be porous or woven, so if it doesn't have the proper amount of pressure applied to it, then it might not seal.  

The KJ's technically have FOUR gaskets.  Applied directly to the ceramic on the dome and base, there's a felt type gasket applied, then the two woven fiberglass ones are glued to those.  All it really needs is ONE of the squishy woven fiberglass ones.
    My earlier comment was based on same understanding as @stlcharcoal because that was what I saw first hand.

It appears (see video below at 0:17 mark) that KJ redesigned the wire mesh gasket and got rid of the weakest link, i.e. the felt type gasket buffer that peels off the ceramic just like BGE's felt gasket...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2U0do63QuKg

My apology to OP for the fake alarm  :)
    canuckland
  • stlcharcoal
    Options
    I still do not see the reason they have that gasket on the top and bottom.  Whether it's automotive, home windows, or anything else, there's only one gasket on one side.  Two gaskets smooshed together do not form a better seal than one smooshed against a smooth hard surface.  A gasket itself can be porous or woven, so if it doesn't have the proper amount of pressure applied to it, then it might not seal.  

The KJ's technically have FOUR gaskets.  Applied directly to the ceramic on the dome and base, there's a felt type gasket applied, then the two woven fiberglass ones are glued to those.  All it really needs is ONE of the squishy woven fiberglass ones.
    My earlier comment was based on same understanding as @stlcharcoal because that was what I saw first hand.

It appears (see video below at 0:17 mark) that KJ redesigned the wire mesh gasket and got rid of the weakest link, i.e. the felt type gasket buffer that peels off the ceramic just like BGE's felt gasket...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2U0do63QuKg

My apology to OP for the fake alarm  :)
    The new ones still come with the felt gasket......the fiberglass is glued to the felt which is glued to the ceramic.
  • Canugghead
    Options
    OP, if you still have the cut-off piece, can you provide the 'money shot' to confirm one way or other please? I can't see the gasket in the video, may need new glasses. Curious mind wants to know  :)
    canuckland
  • haroldopsf
    Options
    OP, if you still have the cut-off piece, can you provide the 'money shot' to confirm one way or other please? I can't see the gasket in the video, may need new glasses. Curious mind wants to know  :)
    I'd have to go dumpster diving on my trash, but I can tell you that the wire mesh gasket has not felt layer at all. It's a wire mesh spongy tube, and on the outside is a 3M adhesive layer. Either way, you can zoom in the pics I posted, you'll see. 
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Options
    That woven fiberglass is what they use on the Weber Summit charcoal. It is stitched in through holes in the stainless with metal clips though. 
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    My first egg cook was on 8/29/09. I followed the rules about breaking it in but less than one month later, 9/21/09, it looked like this. THREE WEEKS!!! The felt is crap!  Went with it for another couple of months til most of what you see here was gone and I replaced it with the Rutland.

I don't have @RRP's 17 years with my Rutland, but I do have 10 now. Never an issue with that gasket (95-6 flat tape with Permatex Ultra Copper). Dollar bill test perfect. I think it's gone up since 2009, but as I recall, the gasket was 89¢/foot at a local hardware store, 7' for my large, $6.23. Not often and not lately, but a number of cooks have been above 900° with no gasket damage. Not a chance I'd ever spend 100 bucks on a gasket! Not when I can get a proven (first hand) 10 years for 6 bucks! And who knows how many more years!

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Canugghead
    edited October 2019
    Options
    I looked at the above video at 0:17 and 0:27 marks few more times, just can't see the felt gasket layer. Please don't dumpster dive!
    canuckland
  • unoriginalusername
    Options
    On the kJ site it says to leave the latch unlocked once the fire is extinguished to preserve the gasket. 

Wonder how it will hold up on an egg where there isn’t an airlift hinge removing the pressure?
  • g37
    g37 Posts: 450
    Options
    Thanks for sharing and taking the plunge by adapting the Komodo joe gasket to your egg. This should end all BGE gasket and alignment 
    problems.  
    Ewa Beach, Hawaii
  • cookingdude555
    Options
    My bubba keg had this gasket type many years before kamado joe innovated it away from them. It works great, and it was only on the base and not the dome. 
  • TEXASBGE2018
    TEXASBGE2018 Posts: 3,831
    Options
    Have any of you had any issues with warranty having these aftermarket gaskets on? 

Rockwall, Tx    LBGE, Minimax, 22" Blackstone, Pizza Party Bollore. Cast Iron Hoarder.

• cookingdude555
    Options
    Have any of you had any issues with warranty having these aftermarket gaskets on? 
    No, but I never highlight it. 
  • haroldopsf
    Options
    Hi John. Not to hijack the thread, but in your signature, do you mean you have that XXL mega monster limited edition egg? And 8 eggs total? Am I reading this right? I would love to see a pic of your yard :) 
  • OshawaDave
    Options
    Hi John. Not to hijack the thread, but in your signature, do you mean you have that XXL mega monster limited edition egg? And 8 eggs total? Am I reading this right? I would love to see a pic of your yard :) 
    I count 9 eggs.

• Canugghead
    edited October 2019
    Options
    My bad for beating a dead horse.  Just encountered @unoriginalusername
    's first KJ again and looked closer at the gasket, what the blue arrow points at seems to be the felt material between wire mesh and ceramic (unless I really need new glasses). It's not the same as the felt-less gasket in the aforementioned video or OP's photos. What gives if KJ didn't redesign the wire mesh gasket?  Reminds me of 'Blind men and an elephant'  =)  

canuckland
  • cookingdude555
    cookingdude555 Posts: 3,194
    edited October 2019
    Options
    I do have the 2XL, but it’s not the limited edition XXL. I wish it was, but could not find one in my state. Only the 2XLs were being sold when I went looking. I do have 9 eggs and a couple of kamado joes. They are not all in the same location. I have a few family pics, but not one that shows them all. Oops. All the pics showed up in the quote. Lame. 

• OshawaDave
    Options
    I do have the 2XL, but it’s not the limited edition XXL. I wish it was, but could not find one in my state. Only the 2XLs were being sold when I went looking. I do have 9 eggs and a couple of kamado joes. They are not all in the same location. I have a few family pics, but not one that shows them all. Oops. All the pics showed up in the quote. Lame. 

You want to hope someone in the neighbourhood doesn't get theirs stolen...….cops will be knocking on your door !

• Canugghead
    edited October 2019
    Options
    Red Green fest  =)

canuckland