Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Tacos al Carbòn

Tried a Cooks Illustrated recipe today.  The skirt steak is smeared with a paste made from 1 Tblspn oil, 2 tsp minced chipotle pepper, 1 tsp of the chipotle adobo, 3/4 tsp cumin, and 1 1/2 tsp salt (I left out the salt as I'd salted the skirt steak the night before and wrapped it tight in saran wrap).  Grilled over a very hot fire along with a large tomato and two jalapeños, mesquite smoke.  

The recipe suggested flipping the steak every two minutes, to keep one side from shrinking more than the other and cupping the steak; I had no issue with that.  

I chopped the grilled tomatoes, and minced the jalapenos, added a crushed garlic clove, and a bit of salt, mixed it up in a bowl while the steak rested.  Also prepped Tillamook 4-cheese mexican grated, chopped some fresh cilantro, chopped a fresh plum tomato, lime wedges, and had some guac on hand.   (Slightly over-) toasted some flour tortillas.  

Steak was cooked perfectly, red but warm in the center and a very good crust.  The tacos were delicious, but there was no heat whatsoever.  I'm thinking the blackened crust the meat had, was just burnt chipotle/cumin mixture.  Next time I'll either add the paste the night before, or spread it on at the end of cooking.  Tasty, nonetheless.  

"I mean, I don't just kill guys, I'm notorious for doing in houseplants."  - Maggie, Northern Exposure

Comments