Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

What to smoke for one

Options
onpoint456
onpoint456 Posts: 204
edited September 2019 in EggHead Forum
Hey all,

Wife's heading out of town for the week and leaving me to my own devices. Looking for ideas of what to smoke. I've recently done pork shoulder, country ribs, pork spare ribs and beef prime rib.

Looking to do something new. Any ideas?

Comments

• Brisket_Fanatic
    Options
    When my wife is gone I tend to cook a big porterhouse or bone in ribeye. If you looking for something to consume most of the day - peppered stout beef is a definite favorite. 

NW IA

2 LBGE, 1 SBGE, 22.5 WSM, 1 Smokey Joe

• 1voyager
    1voyager Posts: 1,157
    edited September 2019
    Options
    It's not smoking per se but I would do a monster tomahawk steak, caveman-style, with a baked potato and a stick of butter.

Wash it down with generous amounts of IPA or cabernet. (Or both. Boss Lady ain't watchin'.)
    Large Egg, PGS A40 gasser.
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    I like to do a pork tenderloin. It is always delicious and a versatile cook that will allow you to snack the rest of the day, in numerous preps.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • Surveyor_Egg
    Options
    Salmon is a good one person show.  So are ribs :-)

------

1 Large BGE

Boston, MA

• Theophan
    Theophan Posts: 2,654
    Options
    Do what I do. Cook all of the things the wifey doesn’t like. 
    I'm with @DoubleEgger.  (Except that she does NOT want to be called "the wife," so I'm sure "the wifey" would be out of bounds as well.)  When my wife's out of town I deliberately try to think of all of the things she doesn't like to eat and put them at the top of my list.  Sometimes I'm not in the mood for them so I'll cook something she'd have liked, too, but there are lots of things I never cook because she hates something in it, so I'll usually cook at least some of them.  Among other things, she doesn't like lamb, hates cilantro, sauerkraut, mushrooms, and liver, so there's a bunch of recipes right there!  :)
  • lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,765
    Options
    If I was left to my own devices, cooking would be the last thing on my mind  =)
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • speed51133
    Options
    I love making pizza for myself. I also add in some wood for smoke, I know, its not low and slow, but the wood really imparts a good taste to the pizza IMO
    XL BGE and Kamado Joe Jr.
  • saluki2007
    saluki2007 Posts: 6,354
    Options
    Beef plate ribs.
    Large and Small BGE
    Central, IL

• onpoint456
    Options
    Thanks for all the suggestions. Freezer diving, I have found pork tenderloin, 3" rib eye, smallish prime rib and pork spare ribs. 

Right now I'm leaning towards the rib eye. I just received a DP cow lick so I'm itching to try it out.

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,757
    edited September 2019
    Options
    i would just do a brie for dinner or a smoked cream cheese  =)
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • td66snrf
    td66snrf Posts: 1,822
    Options
    Bacon wrapped scallops 
    XLBGE, LBGE, MBGE, SMALL, MINI, 2 Kubs, Fire Magic Gasser
  • smbishop
    smbishop Posts: 3,053
    Options
    When my wife is gone I tend to cook a big porterhouse or bone in ribeye. If you looking for something to consume most of the day - peppered stout beef is a definite favorite. 
    Completely agree!

I love having a day of cooking to myself.  

Cook a couple of meals to eat and a couple of cooks for future eats! 

The best steak I can find, Brats in a beer bath- then seared, wings, any new recipe to experiment with...

Then something for the family for a later day,,,whole turkey breast, eye of the round, chili, etc...
    Southlake, TX and Cowhouse Creek - King, TX.  2 Large, 1 Small and a lot of Eggcessories.
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,485
    Options
    @onpoint456, I don't have a wife so I do this every weekend.
    More importantly, I see no cheekun on your "already cooked" list!  I'd suggest a package of wings, or bone-in thighs, or boneless/skinless thighs, or a whole cheekun, or feet if you're adventurous and live near a chinatown.  I see you've already freezer-dived, but maybe something for the future.  
    Enjoy!  

"Pro-Life" would be twenty students graduating from Sandy Hook next month  

• SciAggie
    SciAggie Posts: 6,481
    Options
    Beef cheeks, dry aged steak, beef shank...
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,375
    Options
    No insights on the above but for the future; always have the "home alone for the duration-" cook list at the ready. Now Part B, should you have more than a day's warning and duration then procure the protein, stash and game on once clear.  You will be personally rewarded.  FWIW-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Hans61
    Hans61 Posts: 3,901
    Options
    One slab
    “There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body.”
    Coach Finstock Teen Wolf
  • Wolfpack
    Wolfpack Posts: 3,551
    Options
    All appetizers-

ABT
    Wings
    Pig Shots
    Greensboro, NC
  • JohnnyTarheel
    Options
    Balsamic Rosemary pork tenderloin...
    Charlotte, NC - Large BGE 2014, Maverick ET 733, Thermopen, Nest, Platesetter, Woo2 and Extender w/Grid, Kick Ash Basket, Pizza Stone, SS Smokeware Cap, Blackstone 36"
  • onpoint456
    Options
    Botch said:
    @onpoint456, I don't have a wife so I do this every weekend.
    More importantly, I see no cheekun on your "already cooked" list!  I'd suggest a package of wings, or bone-in thighs, or boneless/skinless thighs, or a whole cheekun, or feet if you're adventurous and live near a chinatown.  I see you've already freezer-dived, but maybe something for the future.  
    Enjoy!  
    Bone in chicken thighs has my attention. I've cooked them a thousand times hot and fast, burn the skin, etc. 

Thinking I might try my hand at a little slower cook. 
  • MeTed
    MeTed Posts: 800
    Options
    Meatloaf!
    Belleville, Michigan

Just burnin lump in Sumpter
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Options
    I'd be cooking wings. And appetizers.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• onpoint456
    Options
    So I've decided on a nice 3" prime ribeye. I was thinking of rubbing with DP cow lick cooking @250 to 125° and then searing. 

I'm worried about searing with the rub on though. Is this something I should worry about?
  • onpoint456
    Options
    Finished product. 

Ribeye cooked 250° to 125° seasoned with DP cow lick. Added ricotta, Parmesan and garlic twice baked potato and Italian herb, garlic and lemon shrimp.

Overall, very satisfied. Steak was great, might cook at little rarer next time.
  • marysvilleksegghead
    Options
    Looks like a winner!
    Lrg 2008
    Mini 2009
  • bucky925
    bucky925 Posts: 2,029
    Options
    Perfection right there.

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

• Sea2Ski
    Sea2Ski Posts: 4,088
    Options
    I agree that is perfection. I would be very happy with that meal.  
    We use salt, a little pepper and a very light dusting of cow lick. Reverse sear, then right off the grill it gets a generous coating of fresh cracked pepper.

--------------------------------------------------
    Burning lump in Downingtown, PA or diesel in Cape May, NJ.
    ....just look for the smoke!
    Large and MiniMax
    --------------------------------------------------

Caliking said:   Meat in bung is my favorite. 
  • Kitarkus
    Options
    Hey all,

Wife's heading out of town for the week and leaving me to my own devices. Looking for ideas of what to smoke. I've recently done pork shoulder, country ribs, pork spare ribs and beef prime rib.

How about smoked Jayhawk?
  • onpoint456
    Options
    Kitarkus said:
    Hey all,

How about smoked Jayhawk?
    Hopefully that is dessert. It's a good one so far.