Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Anyone deep fry on an induction burner?

I’m looking to get a single burner to do some cooking outside (mostly for the foods my wife has banned from being cooked inside lol) so I was thinking about setting a propane burner. I got the idea of getting an induction burner instead but not sure how well it works for deep frying. Anyone have any experience or insight? I don’t really want to lug and store a propane tank, and the induction burner may end up being more useful inside and camping. However, I do want something I can use for deep frying outside.
Dunedin, FL

Comments

• Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,452
    edited September 2019
    We have been using one for several years and quite happy with it, never tried deep frying though. One problem I noticed when searing with CI pan on induction cooker is ... once the pan is well heated, the thermostat shuts down due to the CI heat mass in constant contact with the cooktop, this could be a good or bad thing.  I'd say give it a try, even if deep frying doesn't work well, it's still handy for inside, camping or even hotel room!
    canuckland
  • Theophan
    Theophan Posts: 2,654
    I've never tried one outdoors, but just be aware that many pots won't work on induction because they're aluminum.  Induction requires iron to work, so be sure that any pot you're thinking of using for this burner specifically says it's for induction.  Some stainless pots don't have enough iron in the mix.

I LOVE induction, it's faster than gas, have to believe that it would be great for deep frying or anything else (I love my induction range!), but it really does matter if you buy pots and pans that were specifically made for induction.  DeMeyere is great.
  • johnnyp
    johnnyp Posts: 3,932
    I've fried chicken in cast iron on induction. worked great.  To echo @Canugghead,  the burner will shut down if it detects the cooktop overheating. So, prolonged, multi-batch sessions may be out of the question. Or maybe just don't use cast iron.  A decent carbon steel or stainless with a copper core would work fine.
    XL & MM BGE, 36" Blackstone - Newport News, VA
  • lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,707
    Curious what the power consumption on one is? Wondering how long a lithium portable power source would last
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • Canugghead
    lkapigian said:
    Curious what the power consumption on one is? Wondering how long a lithium portable power source would last
    Ours is rated at 1600W.
    canuckland
  • Canugghead
    edited September 2019
    johnnyp said:
    I've fried chicken in cast iron on induction. worked great.  ...
    makes sense, I guess the oil pulls heat from the CI, thus preventing it from overheating.
    canuckland
  • Canugghead
    AFAIK most, if not all, pots and pans sold at IKEA are induction friendly, they're inexpensive and great for trying induction before you commit to more spendy ones.
    canuckland
  •  I fry on an induction burner with cast iron dutch oven. Fries perfectly. Recovers temps quickly and automatically. Much safer than frying over a flame or hot electric coil.
    LBGE/Weber Kettle/Blackstone 36" Griddle/Turkey Fryer/Induction Burner/Royal Gourmet 24" Griddle/Cuisinart Twin Oaks/Pit Boss Tabletop pellet smoker/Instant Pot

BBQ from the State of Connecticut!

Jim
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,323
    Theophan said:
    I've never tried one outdoors, but just be aware that many pots won't work on induction because they're aluminum.  Induction requires iron to work, so be sure that any pot you're thinking of using for this burner specifically says it's for induction.  Some stainless pots don't have enough iron in the mix.

I LOVE induction, it's faster than gas, have to believe that it would be great for deep frying or anything else (I love my induction range!), but it really does matter if you buy pots and pans that were specifically made for induction.  DeMeyere is great.
    You don't have to have a pan with iron to work on an induction burner as you can use one of these things underneath your copper/aluminum/whatever pan/skillet.

Also worth noting is that some cast iron skillets have a heat ring on the bottom and that elevates the bottom of the pan high enough off the surface of the induction burner that they won't work. When buying a portable induction burner one should make sure what the manufacturer says about cast iron pot/skillet compatibility. I think most newer burners work fine with cast iron whereas a lot of older ones did not.

“Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,707
    lkapigian said:
    Ours is rated at 1600W.
    Thank you...
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • Sammi
    Sammi Posts: 598
    lkapigian said:
    lkapigian said:
    Ours is rated at 1600W.
    Thank you...
    1600 watts but much quicker and more efficient than a standard element. There's no loss in heat transfer.
    Sudbury, Ontario
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727
    i tried this, and it didn't work so well. Induction burner from Costco, a few years old. The last time i tried, i switched it out for a cheaper butane burner ( available at most Asian supermarkets).  

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • caliking said:
    i tried this, and it didn't work so well. Induction burner from Costco, a few years old. The last time i tried, i switched it out for a cheaper butane burner ( available at most Asian supermarkets).  
    Recovery has been my issue.  That’s how I wound up with the bayou classic 
  • johnnyp
    johnnyp Posts: 3,932
    caliking said:
    I have the induction burner that was from a Costco as well.  I’m assuming the same kind.

if we have the same one it has a temp and a power mode. I found the temperature settings to be underpowered and highly inaccurate.  The power mode is much more effective if you haven’t tried it 
    XL & MM BGE, 36" Blackstone - Newport News, VA
  • Canugghead
    Recovery has been my issue.  That’s how I wound up with the bayou classic 
    I'm speculating that some time it wasn't even trying to recover, rather it was  off due to above mentioned thermostat behavior.
    canuckland
  • Recovery has been my issue.  That’s how I wound up with the bayou classic 
    I'm speculating that some time it wasn't even trying to recover, rather it was  off due to above mentioned thermostat behavior.
    And maybe, just maybe, I needed a gas fryer. 😎
  • I REALLY love my fryer.  Use it At least weekly 
  • yzzi
    yzzi Posts: 1,843
    Yeah the reason I’m thinking induction burner is for space savings in storage and I have lots of cast iron I’d be using... decisions...
    Dunedin, FL
  • Theophan
    Theophan Posts: 2,654
    johnnyp said:
    ... A decent carbon steel or stainless with a copper core would work fine.
    Um... not necessarily on the copper core.  I had one of All Clad's original Copper Core saucepans and I loved it -- it was a really terrific saucepan, but it did NOT work at all with induction.  They rejiggered how much iron they put in their stainless steel, and now they'll work on induction.  So 2 things:

1)  If you're buying it new, and they say it will work on induction, it surely will.  But there most definitely are stainless and stainless/copper core cookware that will NOT work with induction.

2)  There really is a difference between my Demeyere Atlantis skillets and my All-Clad skillet on my induction range.  Demeyere pioneered induction cooking in Europe, and by gosh those pots and pans work GREAT on induction.  The All-Clad, however, claims it works on induction, and yeah, it does, but... it's not like the Demeyere.  It takes a higher setting to get the same amount of heat, it doesn't seem as fast, it's just OK, not great.  It makes a difference.
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110

Even the small 2.5 gallon is nice. 
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • Photo Egg said:

Even the small 2.5 gallon is nice. 
    I wish my 4 gal were bigger
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727
    johnnyp said:
    caliking said:
    I have the induction burner that was from a Costco as well.  I’m assuming the same kind.

if we have the same one it has a temp and a power mode. I found the temperature settings to be underpowered and highly inaccurate.  The power mode is much more effective if you haven’t tried it 
     My problem is that I'm calibrated to cooking on my gas stove. Not sure  what temps or power  med vs med-hi mean on my gas stove mean , for example. I don't quite understand what the power settings on the induction burner mean.

It was easier for me to pull out my older tech butane burner and measure the oil temp :)

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • caliking said:
    I might have this same one.  It really sucks at deep frying.  Tramontina I believe is the brand.  It works well for other stuff, but not deep frying or wok work.  
    ------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • yzzi
    yzzi Posts: 1,843
    edited September 2019
    I woke up this morning thinking I’m just going to go with a gas burner for now. Mostly because I can use that camping where I don’t have electric as well as during power outages. Thanks for all the feedback, it helped me a lot!
    Dunedin, FL