Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

First butt

njl
njl Posts: 1,123
In all the years I've had my egg, the only pork I've done much of has been ribs and rack of pork.  I just bought my first Boston butt (7.5lb bone-in).  Assuming I want pulled pork for dinner tomorrow night, what's the best way to proceed?  I don't really want to do an overnight cook, and would likely be able to start it around 8am. 

Is turbo the only way to go? 
Will Bad Byron's butt rub + brown or turbinado sugar burn cooking turbo?
Drip pan: yes | no?

Comments

• If your going to use some of that sugar. You need to watch your cook temp. I wouldnt go much above 300 before that sugar starts to burn. Bad byrons works good. Drip pan is dealers choice. Some do, some dont.
  • jtcBoynton
    jtcBoynton Posts: 2,814

There is no best way to cook a butt!!!!!   Pork shoulder can be cooked in varying ways to great results.    Setup for an indirect cook.  Egg temp somewhere between 225-375º.  Add some salt to the pork and cook until tender (normally 195-205º).  Anything after that is personal preference.

Turbo is ok but far from the only way to go.  Drip pans are useful. You can start your cook around breakfast and have it ready for dinner without going turbo.  Moderate temps will work just fine for you.

Approximate cooking times for pork butt/shoulder:

225º:  2 hours a pound

250º: 1.5 hours a pound

275º:  1 hour per pound

350º:  30-45 mins per pound

There is a good amount of variability between individual pieces so take all times as rough. Times assume a full sized butt - 7-10 pounds. Temps are dome.

Southeast Florida - LBGE
    In cooking, often we implement steps for which we have no explanations other than ‘that’s what everybody else does’ or ‘that’s what I have been told.’  Dare to think for yourself.

• onpoint456
    onpoint456 Posts: 204
    edited September 2019
    I did two 7-8# butts this past weekend. Cooked indirect 350-375 for about 4.5 hours. Turned out fantastic.

Rubbed with pork barrel bbq all american rub and smoked with pecan.

Disclaimer: this was my first turbo cook. I don't think I will do it any other way now 
  • njl
    At turbo temp, do you cut any sugar into the rub, or just use a sugarless rub straight?
  • njl said:
    At turbo temp, do you cut any sugar into the rub, or just use a sugarless rub straight?
    My rub was sugarless. As said, at those temps the sugar will burn.
  • njl
    So, that has me wondering if I should go Bad Byron's or just the same dalmatian rub I use on briskets.
  • njl
    Rub the night before or just before lighting the egg?

• dmourati
    dmourati Posts: 1,268
    Just before lighting...
    Mountain View, CA
  • Brisket is beef. Butt is pork. Same rub may not be the best choice. Bad Byron's is good on pork. I:ve cooked at 275ish and added honey sriracha to goo effect. At those temps, 7.5lb took me a little over ten hours. I rubbed just before putting on BGE.
  • njl
    edited September 2019
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LbzEa_juegs
    That's basically a dalmatian rub on pork butt :)
    I think I'm pretty much decided on using just the Bad Byron's though.
  • @njl: Must be true if Aaron says it
  • @njl ... Didn't mean that to sound smart-alecky. I had imagined you putting DP Cowlick or something like that on you pork...which may not be too bad, btw! 

Aaron certainly knows his stuff...even on pork. Good luck on your first butt. It is actually one of the easiest, most rewarding cooks I have done on my BGE. 
  • njl
    I just went with Bad Byron's.  It started this morning, 8am, kind of "almost turbo" with a starting dome temp of 300F.
    1:25 in, the internal is at 97F and probe ambient is 316F.
  • njl said:
    I just went with Bad Byron's.  It started this morning, 8am, kind of "almost turbo" with a starting dome temp of 300F.
    1:25 in, the internal is at 97F and probe ambient is 316F.
    Best of luck and let us know how it turns out. Butts are very forgiving, just don't over cook! Unless you like mushy pork =):o
  • There is no best way to cook a butt!!!!!   Pork shoulder can be cooked in varying ways to great results.    Setup for an indirect cook.  Egg temp somewhere between 225-375º.  Add some salt to the pork and cook until tender (normally 195-205º).  Anything after that is personal preference.

Turbo is ok but far from the only way to go.  Drip pans are useful. You can start your cook around breakfast and have it ready for dinner without going turbo.  Moderate temps will work just fine for you.

There is a good amount of variability between individual pieces so take all times as rough. Times assume a full sized butt - 7-10 pounds. Temps are dome.

How would you adjust your times if you were doing two - 8 pound butts?
  • lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,749
    Miked125 said:

There is no best way to cook a butt!!!!!   Pork shoulder can be cooked in varying ways to great results.    Setup for an indirect cook.  Egg temp somewhere between 225-375º.  Add some salt to the pork and cook until tender (normally 195-205º).  Anything after that is personal preference.

one or two, cook times would be the same 
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Miked125 said:

No adjustment needed. 2 butts cook the same time as 1. 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• jtcBoynton
    jtcBoynton Posts: 2,814
    The time to cook any meat depends on the distance from the surface to the center of the piece. Each piece cooks independently (as long as the pieces are not stacked directly on each other).
    Southeast Florida - LBGE
    In cooking, often we implement steps for which we have no explanations other than ‘that’s what everybody else does’ or ‘that’s what I have been told.’  Dare to think for yourself.

• njl
    By noon, it'd hit 170F and I foiled it.  An hour later, it was 205F, and I decided it was done.  It's been wrapped up in a cooler now for just a little more than 2hrs.  I was going to pull it, but decided to stick it and check temp.  Still 170F...so I put it back in the cooler.
  • Keep it in the cooler until you're ready to pull and eat, it will hold plenty hot until dinner time if you have it FTC
    Grilling year round in Orlando, FL on a large BGE & Santa Maria
  • njl
    I held it in the cooler 4 hours (was still 150F), and then pulled it and ate.  Very little waste other than the bone.  Now I'll have to see how fast we can go through it, or if I'm freezing some of it.  7.5lb butt = 4.7lb pulled.
  • njl
    edited September 2019

Not sure why onedrive always distorts rotated pics...that's a 9x13 glass dish.
  • dmchicago
    dmchicago Posts: 4,516
    Looks great! How'd it taste?
    Philly - Kansas City - Houston - Cincinnati - Dallas - Houston - Memphis - Austin - Chicago - Austin

Large BGE. OONI 16, TOTO Washlet S550e (Now with enhanced Motherly Hugs!)

"If I wanted my balls washed, I'd go to the golf course!"
    Dennis - Austin,TX
  • njl
    I liked it.  The kids ate it without complaining, so that's like high praise.  I gave some to a neighbor, and she definitely liked it.  Someone told me I should add a little apple juice to it...but all that's on it so far is the juices from the foil (minus a bunch that I lost due to the bone punching a small hole in the bottom of the foil).  Pulling pork is easier than slicing brisket...and way cheaper...so I may do a few of these before going back to brisket.