Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT - Dryer Making Noise

Options
There appears to be an issue with our dryer and given we think we’ll likely try to sell our house this spring, I’d rather perform a cheap DIY fix than get a repairman in to fix it or replace it altogether. 

Recently, the dryer runs very rough and loudly, as well as sounding as if there are rocks in it. Based on the info I’ve consulted online, it appears it could be any number of issues, making the source of the problem hard to diagnose. 

I noticed that that if I rotate the chamber (compartment that holds the clothes) against the regular direction of operation while not in use, the sound is then gone upon startup. It resurfaces a short time later. 

I know now it’s a long shot, but any help or ideas would be appreciated. 

Thanks. 

Comments

• DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,171
    Options
    Sounds like something in the drive system. Is it a geared system or is a direct drive motor? Sounds like gearing is messed up or the direct drive coupling is loose or damaged. I’m just spitballing here... 
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,171
    Options
    Also, consult you tube. 
  • dbCooper
    dbCooper Posts: 2,081
    Options
    Maytag at my place had those symptoms about 8 months ago.  Squirrel cage fan was the culprit.  It attaches to blower motor  on D shaped shaft.  Plastic squirrel cage became rounded at the D.

$12. on Amazon and couple hours work and I was golden.  30 min if ya don't take time to clean while the front cover is off.
    LBGE, LBGE-PTR, 22" Weber, Coleman 413G
    Great Plains, USA
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    I'd ignore it if it's still drying clothes and you're planning to move in the spring.

Otherwise pick one up off CL or something similar. I bought a new to me dryer for $50 earlier this year. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Cornholio
    Cornholio Posts: 1,047
    Options
    Could be the drum rollers, can be repaired for $200-$300 usually or if you are somewhat handy sub $100 DIY.  Common part that needs replacing in dryers. 
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,888
    Options
    I don't claim to be an expert, but years ago on a previous dryer we had a somewhat similar issue. When running it would groan! At that point I had time to work on it so -

I started tearing it apart section by section and I was thoughly surprised to see all that dryer was was that round tumbler inside an exterior box! Then that revealed that tumbler was simply being driven by a mere belt running by a rather small motor! Then after removing the drum I immediately found the problem...the drum turns by running on 2 sets of rollers each at front and back. 1 of the 4 sets of rollers had gone bad and another set had signs it was going bad as well.

Up shot? Replacement price for those 2 bad ones was more of than half of the cost of a whole new dryer! 

Guess what got replaced along with a new washer!

Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • dbCooper
    dbCooper Posts: 2,081
    Options
    This is the part I replaced, two screws at base to remove front cover and you'll see immediately if that is your problem.  If you have Maytag or similar.  

LBGE, LBGE-PTR, 22" Weber, Coleman 413G
    Great Plains, USA
  • Gulfcoastguy
    Options
    Used dryer from Craig’s List.
  • gonepostal
    Options
    I have fixed my Dryer, Fridge, and AC in my truck in the past 12 months with the help of Youtube. And I have zero skills when it comes to that kind of stuff. Several ideas above but would at least see if it would be something you could fix for a few bucks. 
    Wetumpka, Alabama
    LBGE and MM
  • Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,515
    Options
    Kijiji!
    canuckland
  • Battleborn
    Battleborn Posts: 3,356
    Options
    Have you hit it with a hammer yet?
    Las Vegas, NV

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Probably junk in the trunk.  Sorry to throw technical jargon around in a public forum like this.
    Use a bigger hammer?
  • Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,515
    edited September 2019
    Options
    Sorry, not really helping but have a story to share...

Our 30-yr old dryer started tripping circuit breaker earlier this year. I took it apart and debated whether to change the fuses/thermostats (as suggested in many youtube clips) by trial and error.  Since we're not planning to move any time soon, we ended up buying a simple entry-level unit and couldn't be happier. 

Bonus: Sliced one end off the drum and made myself an XL Joetisserie with an old BK rotisserie kit.   :)

canuckland
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,615
    Options
    Appliance threads are getting to be almost as common as skydiving threads.
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,346
    Options
    Legume said:
    Appliance threads are getting to be almost as common as skydiving threads.
    I liked this place much more when it was only people posting pics of food cooked on an Egg.

And chihuahuas, I kinds miss the chihuahua pics too.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    Of all the solutions offered.....@caliking wins.
    The other solution which I have used with oustanding success was wind and solar powered drying systems. Less than $5.00 to purchase and less than 15 minutes to install. With or without climate change, it works very well.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • saluki2007
    saluki2007 Posts: 6,354
    Options
    Sounds like the problem my dryer had earlier this spring.  Luckily it was still covered under warranty.  The drum roller bearing had worn out.  On a Samsung it's very easy and cheap to replace.
    Large and Small BGE
    Central, IL

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,749
    Options
    stick your head in the drum and look at the space between the drum and the frame top and bottom. if its bigger at the top its the front roller. theres usually a felt type seal there, if the roller is worn the seal is worn and it will start chewing small holes in the clothes.  if someone ran the dryer without the screen a sock can get down into the drive as well but the front roller is usually the problem, especially if someone is overloading it
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it