Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Hatch Green Chile Stew

I had some leftover smoked pork from Sunday that wasn’t sauced and my local Whole Foods had Hatch green chiles..... so smoked hatch green Chile stew it was... I just wish the chilies had more heat

Comments

• northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Wow.......I make one with chicken that is a favorite around this house in the winter. I use a cream of chicken and sour cream to thicken. When making a pulled pork one, what are you liquid thickness? I must try this.
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,170
    Hot hatch chiles for the win every time.  Doesn't matter the surroundings, with them a great banquet.  Definite winner right there.  Congrats. 
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • SciAggie
    SciAggie Posts: 6,481
    Hatch chilies, chicken, and cheese are a combo I’ll eat all day any day. 
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • great looking chili!
    were the chilis anaheim's?
    Lrg 2008
    Mini 2009
  • northGAcock
    I have had roasted green chili in my veggie omelet for almost every day since May 20th. I say almost cause my sorry @ss failed to order more in advance of runnin out. Want mess that up again. 

• Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,432
    edited September 2019
    @Phatchris , I didn't make a pot of green chile stew when I got my annual bushel roasted a couple weeks ago, as it was still too hot outside (~95º F).  All of the sudden its in the 50's, and it snowed in the mountains yesterday, so I'll be posting my stew this weekend.  Our recipes are almost identical (great minds think alike!) but yours appears thicker than mine, probably due to the flour.  

"I mean, I don't just kill guys, I'm notorious for doing in houseplants."  - Maggie, Northern Exposure

• Phatchris
    Phatchris Posts: 1,726
    edited September 2019
    Botch said:
    @Phatchris , I didn't make a pot of green chile stew when I got my annual bushel roasted a couple weeks ago, as it was still too hot outside (~95º F).  All of the sudden its in the 50's, and it snowed in the mountains yesterday, so I'll be posting my stew this weekend.  Our recipes are almost identical (great minds think alike!) but yours appears thicker than mine, probably due to the flour.  
    I’ve never made it before and while looking through recipes it looked around  50% with flour added... I’ve never had true New Mexico green Chile, closest for me has been Colorado green Chile 
  • northGAcock
    Phatchris said:
    Wow.......I make one with chicken that is a favorite around this house in the winter. I use a cream of chicken and sour cream to thicken. When making a pulled pork one, what are you liquid thickness? I must try this.
    I sautéed an onion and some garlic with olive oil and some pork fat from the pork... sprinkled about a tablespoon and a half of flour into the pan and cooked for a little bit.. added chicken stock, cubed potatoes, can of diced tomatoes , leftover pork, and roasted chopped chilies... I just simmered it all for 1 1/2 hrs covered stirring frequently... uncovered for last 15 to thicken a bit.... served with avocado, lime, shredded cheddar, and jalapeño hot sauce...pretty good for my first attempt and with leftover pork
    Thank you.....just checked my stock....need to get some more on order. 

• That looks outstanding!!  I could probably eat that every single day for a month and not get tired of it.  Great job!!  Love the use of pork in it.
    Kelley 
    Egging with No Joke Smoke (Bruce), enjoying small town life in Brenham, TX., the home of Blue Bell Ice Cream.  BGEs: XL, Medium,  1 MiniMax. 36" CookRite Commercial Griddle, and a Shirley Smoker.
  • NDG
    NDG Posts: 2,431
    LOOKS AMAZING . . I just roasted my HATCH Chilis last night . . I peeled about 5 and I could feel the heat in my nose, then my fingers got numb, took a bite and HOT DAYUM I GOT THE HOTTEST BATCH EVER !!!  I was going to use them on turkey burgers and eggs with the wife this weekend, but no way she can handle this heat.  Crazy how it ranges from NO HEAT (normally what I got) to XXX (this yr) !!
    Columbus, OH

“There are only two ways to live your life.  One is as though nothing is a miracle.  The other is as if everything is” 
  • dmourati
    dmourati Posts: 1,265
    I roasted mine last night as well. True medium heat. I think if you buy in the grocery store, Hatch chile could mean one of several things. There are different varieties each with their different heat levels.
    Mountain View, CA
  • Phatchris
    The Chilies were labeled as mild, but it’s all they had.. They were bagged and I cannot remember the company on the bag for the life of me... Chile guys? Or something 
  • bluebird66
    bluebird66 Posts: 2,717
    That looks great!
    Large Egg with adjustable rig, Kick Ash Basket and various Weber's
    Floyd Va

• @Phatchris that looks amazing!  Mind posting the recipe?
  • KiterTodd
    KiterTodd Posts: 2,466
    Yumm.  That looks awesome.
    LBGE/Maryland
  • Phatchris
    @Phatchris that looks amazing!  Mind posting the recipe?
    It’s pretty much posted a couple comments above, no real recipe per se
  • smbishop
    smbishop Posts: 3,053
    Following this thread.  I have hatch chilis and pulled pork in the freezer, going to make something like this soon!!
    Southlake, TX and Cowhouse Creek - King, TX.  2 Large, 1 Small and a lot of Eggcessories.
  • Phatchris
    My wife came across some hot Hatch Chiles today, so will be making something else soon!