Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pulled pork rub with no pepper allowed!!

Options

My pulled pork is pretty popular with friends and family but one of my good friends is allergic to black pepper so she can't have any without suffering for it. We are having a party for her birthday this Saturday and everyone wants pulled pork but I want to make it without any pepper but all the rubs I use have some in it.

Does anyone have any suggestions or substitutions they can offer? 

I asked about any other pepper and she said "no pepper" so that's the direction I'm taking.

I appreciate any help you guys/gals can offer!

BGE XL, KJ Classic, Weber Performer Copper, 36" Blackstone Pro Series, Weber Genesis Copper, Traeger Pro 22

Comments

• kl8ton
    kl8ton Posts: 5,429
    Options
    Follow a recipe and omit pepper
    Large, Medium, MiniMax, & 22, and 36" Blackstone
    Grand Rapids MI
  • RRog17
    RRog17 Posts: 562
    Options
    I’d go with a vinegar based sauce. 
    Canton, GA
    LBGE, Joe Jr., 28” Blackstone
  • lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,758
    edited September 2019
    Options
    This is my memphis dust go to, just omit the pepper..i sub sugar in the raw...most have these ingredients in the pantry 

• 3/4 cup firmly packed dark brown sugar
    • 3/4 cup white sugar
    • 1/2 cup paprika
    • 1/4 cup kosher salt
    • 1/4 cup garlic powder
    • 2 tablespoons ground black pepper
    • 2 tablespoons ground ginger powder
    • 2 tablespoons onion powder
    • 2 teaspoons rosemary powder
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,467
    Options
    I cook my steaks, and sometimes pork, with just salt.  Let the Meat shine through!  
    Offer some sauces, if you wish; but even then sometimes pure, smoked, salted pork can't be beat.  

Remember when teachers used to say 'You won't have a calculator everywhere you go'?  Well, we showed them.

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Options
    Appreciate the mention @dmourati but Dizzy Dust has pepper. I have a friend (Nancy) who is also sensitive to peppers and chiles, so we came out with "Happy Nancy". That may work.

@KamadoTom is she allergic to chiles as well? If not, you could do something with salt, garlic, Chile powder, ginger.

Happy cooking, and let us know what you come up with!
    Chris

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • KamadoTom
    Options
    Appreciate the mention @dmourati but Dizzy Dust has pepper. I have a friend (Nancy) who is also sensitive to peppers and chiles, so we came out with "Happy Nancy". That may work.

@KamadoTom is she allergic to chiles as well? If not, you could do something with salt, garlic, Chile powder, ginger.

Chris

I don't think so, she likes spicy things especially Frank's hot sauce. Thank you this is the type of help I was hoping for!
    BGE XL, KJ Classic, Weber Performer Copper, 36" Blackstone Pro Series, Weber Genesis Copper, Traeger Pro 22
  • KamadoTom
    Options
    lkapigian said:
    This is my memphis dust go to, just omit the pepper..i sub sugar in the raw...most have these ingredients in the pantry 

• 3/4 cup white sugar
    • 1/2 cup paprika
    • 1/4 cup kosher salt
    • 1/4 cup garlic powder
    so, with this what would you substitute for the pepper? I don't want to just drop pepper without making up for what it brought to the recipe.
  • lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,758
    Options
    KamadoTom said:
    lkapigian said:

• 3/4 cup white sugar
    • 1/2 cup paprika
    • 1/4 cup kosher salt
    • 1/4 cup garlic powder
    so, with this what would you substitute for the pepper? I don't want to just drop pepper without making up for what it brought to the recipe.
    Nothing, just leave it out or you could go a little cayenne 
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • dmourati
    dmourati Posts: 1,268
    Options
    KamadoTom said:

Chris

I don't think so, she likes spicy things especially Frank's hot sauce. Thank you this is the type of help I was hoping for!
    Oops, sorry about that. I linked to the ingredient page for DD on the chance pepper was included in "spices." Thanks for catching before I potentially ruined it for his birthday guest.
    Mountain View, CA
  • Gulfcoastguy
    Options
    Or you could substitute ancho Chile powder if cayenne is to spicy in the Memphis Dust recipe. 
  • littlerascal56
    Options
    I buy the Killer Hogs rub in 5# bags.  Excellent for all pork cooks, and no black pepper.  Does have chili pepper as an ingredient though.
  • Sea2Ski
    Sea2Ski Posts: 4,088
    Options
    Does the birthday person need to have the same thing as everyone else?  Make pulled pork for everyone else and something special for the birthday person. Like a nice thick ribeye.
    Make them feel really special. 

Just a thought....
    --------------------------------------------------
    Burning lump in Downingtown, PA or diesel in Cape May, NJ.
    ....just look for the smoke!
    Large and MiniMax
    --------------------------------------------------

Caliking said:   Meat in bung is my favorite. 
  • AB1234
    Options
    Can you use white pepper?
    Orlando
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    AB1234 said:
    Can you use white pepper?
    I'd guess not. Wikipedia says the active ingredients in pepper are in both the husk and the kernel. Most in the black outside, but white pepper is still all kernel.
  • KamadoTom
    Options

Was given this info in case anyone is interested-

Black, white, red, and green pepper corns all come from the same plant. They are just harvested and processed differently. 

Pink pepper corns come from a different plant in Brazil. Tasmanian Mountain Pepper Berries is also a different plant from the island of Tasmanian off the coast of Australia.