Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

What’s your method for makin bacon?

Im thinking about buying a pork belly from Costco and making my own bacon. I’ve looked around the web and see several variations of curing, Cook time, and internal temp.. What’s your method? 

Comments

• NorthPilot06
    NorthPilot06 Posts: 1,179
    edited September 2019
    I follow the amazing ribs method nearly to a t. Comes out perfect every time. This includes the wet brine/cure and hot smoke 
    DFW - 1 LGBE & Happy to Adopt More...
  • With that being said, if you have the right equipment, I’m sure a cold smoke would be excellent. 
  • Here’s a link: https://amazingribs.com/tested-recipes/pork-recipes/how-make-smoked-bacon-home

We always make the maple recipe and can’t seem to keep it around in the freezer. Many coworkers all for a sample =)
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669

Costco 

Cook to 142

S&P only

INDIRECT

Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• bigguy136
    bigguy136 Posts: 1,362
    I'm not sure if nitrates are bad for you or not. I've been using the below recipe for a few years and it doesn't have nitrates. 

1.5 cups of Tender Quick salt mix
    4 tbsp coarsely ground black pepper
    3 tbsp granulated garlic
    2 tbsp paprika
    2 tbsp chili powder
    3 tbsp brown sugar
    6 cups of water
    10-15 LBS Pork Belly
    Brine for 7 days. Flip daily
    Smoke at 200° 3-4 hours till 150° internal temp
    Chill before slicing

Big Lake, Minnesota

2X Large BGE, 1 Mini Max, Stokers, Adjustable Rig

• bigguy136 said:
    I'm not sure if nitrates are bad for you or not. I've been using the below recipe for a few years and it doesn't have nitrates. 

1.5 cups of Tender Quick salt mix

**Just FYI, Tender Quick has both sodium nitrite and sodium nitrate.
    XL BGE, Lg BGE, MiniMax BGE, Mini BGE

Appleton, WI 
  • I generally use the Ruhlman's method using maple syrup.  Pretty simple and easy to expand the recipe.
    XL BGE, Lg BGE, MiniMax BGE, Mini BGE

Appleton, WI 
  • blind99
    blind99 Posts: 4,971
    i recommend starting with ruhlman's instructions.  it's not rocket science - salt, cure #1, and sugar.  if you google ruhlman's basic cure you should find it.  from there, it's rub, keep in fridge, rinse, and hot smoke.  then dive down the rabbit hole... @jacksdad supplies half the east coast at this point, i think...
    Chicago, IL - Large and Small BGE - Weber Gasser and Kettle
  • KiterTodd
    KiterTodd Posts: 2,466
    I just read the amzing ribs recipe... just curious, how come home made bacon does not get crisp when you cook it?  (I like it crisp)
    LBGE/Maryland
  • It does get crisp, after all it effectively pan fries in rendered bacon grease. 

The big difference that I notice with homemade bacon is that it won’t splatter like commercial bacon while cooking. This is because the curing solution (water-based) is injected into pork bellies for commercial bacon, but for homemade bacon, the cure (wet or dry) is on the outside of slab and is not injected. 
  • lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,706
    edited September 2019
    KiterTodd said:
    I just read the amzing ribs recipe... just curious, how come home made bacon does not get crisp when you cook it?  (I like it crisp)
    like @NorthPilot06 says,   it does, you just have to cook it slow otherwise the sugars will burn, store bought bacon is loaded with water so when frying the first thing that the pan is loaded with is water, then fat then crisp....home mode you almost have to add a little fat 

Visalia, Ca @lkapigian

• I love homemade bacon. It's just so good, and tastes so much better. Nobody in my family can tolerate store bought now. Tastes like sugary sweet chemicals. 

I have set up a little tradition, a couple of times a year I get about 30-40 lbs of Costco pork belly and make homemade bacon. I bought a semi-restaurant quality deli slicer, and a vacuum sealer, and my sons and I make individual packages and deliver them to friends, family, and coworkers. 

I am not an expert by any means, and everything I know I learned from the folks on this forum. If you have specific questions, ask away, and you'll probably get 20 helpful responses...

Large BGE -- New Jersey