Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Eggspander vs Adjustable Rig

Have had my Large almost 8 years and would really like to have more,flexibility with how I cook.  Have been looking at both the BGE Eggspander and the Adjustable Rig but confused on what will work best for me.  I would like to have the ability to have multiple levels to cook, a better way to deflect the heat without the hot spots of the Plate Setter, and be able to use half grids or stones at times.  Any advice would be greatly appreciated.  

Buckeye Bob
Clarendon Hills, IL

Comments

• MattBTI
    MattBTI Posts: 417
    Following. 
    Pratt, KS
  • I have AR in my Eggs and wouldn't go without them at this point. They are on sale now too. I also have the Extender for them as well. You can start with an AR and expend later. No experience with Eggspander. CGS products are top notch IMO.
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Adjustable Rig. Would buy again with no hesitation. Invented and built by fellow Egghead right here in Texas.
    Excellent customer service if you ever need it.

Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • Wooderson
    Wooderson Posts: 350
    CGS. Support small good damn business
  • stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,684
    If half stones are what you're really interested in, then look at the PS Woo vs. the Adjustable Rig.  The AR for multi level cooks with the pull out "tray" and oval stones.  The Woo with Spider and Extender are what BGE ripped off and call the "EggSpander" (AKA: "EggFringer" and "Eggsploiter").

Watch the video on the Woo vs. AR, and see which one is better for you.  Both are great systems, made in Texas, and still cheaper than the Chinese knockoff in the green box.  
  • SonVolt
    SonVolt Posts: 3,314
    My wife bought me the Chinese knock off in the green box for Christmas and I’ve been more than pleased with it. If it were my own choice I probably would have purchased something comparable at CGS. 
    South of Nashville  -  BGE XL  -  Alfresco 42" ALXE  -  Alfresco Versa Burner  - Sunbeam Microwave 
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    SonVolt said:
    My wife bought me the Chinese knock off in the green box for Christmas and I’ve been more than pleased with it. If it were my own choice I probably would have purchased something comparable at CGS. 
    Still, A+ for your wife
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • sumoconnell
    sumoconnell Posts: 1,932
    I have the AR, and I also got the spider. I don't use the spider much, but the AR never leaves the egg. I've used the spider so I can put the heat deflector low, and have 2 Packers on the AR grids. You can feed lots of folks with two briskets..

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    Austin, Texas.  I'm the guy holding a beer.
  • alaskanassasin
    alaskanassasin Posts: 7,597
    edited August 2019
    5 butts with AR and spider.... and a drip pan! on a large 
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• CGS  AR top notch and made in the USA. 
  • I have three larges, one of each in each large.

I have woos in every other egg, and the AR in my XL.  I prefer the eggspander for functionality,  I prefer the woo for price, and the adjustable rig for the most features.  I find I use my egg with the eggspander the most because of the design it has.
  • tjv
    tjv Posts: 3,830
    I have three larges, one of each in each large.

I have woos in every other egg, and the AR in my XL.  I prefer the eggspander for functionality,  I prefer the woo for price, and the adjustable rig for the most features.  I find I use my egg with the eggspander the most because of the design it has.
    you don't have the PSWoo Combo for a direct comparison with the Eggspander. You have the Woo for folks who don't own a platesetter/conveggtor.  Also, the woo and rig extenders are not current versions.   

t
    www.ceramicgrillstore.com ACGP, Inc.
  • stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,684
    tjv said:

you don't have the PSWoo Combo for a direct comparison with the Eggspander. You have the Woo for folks who don't own a platesetter/conveggtor.  Also, the woo and rig extenders are not current versions.   

t
    I was wondering about that.....that doesn't look like the Woo's I have in the shop or at home. 
  • It is so confusing people who have them don’t even know what they are called 
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• tjv said:

t
    Correct.  My woo is the standard woo.  My my rig extender is a very old one that I bought from you.  You can see Ive got a really old woo for a medium below the table too.  I kind of have a museum of CGS components at my house.  Its a testament to the quality.
  • BuckeyeBob
    BuckeyeBob Posts: 673
    Thanks all. Will definitely be going CGS when I move forward. 

Clarendon Hills, IL
  • blind99
    blind99 Posts: 4,971
    I'd guess most folks who've been cooking awhile either come up with their own system for adding a second level, or own CGS stuff.  I love my adjustable rig - it gives the large BGE a ton of cooking space and flexibility.
    Chicago, IL - Large and Small BGE - Weber Gasser and Kettle
  • tjv
    It is so confusing people who have them don’t even know what they are called 
    It's frustrating for us too. You would not believe how many folks don't even know what size or make of grill, they own.  This week alone and it's only Tuesday, we had: 
    • one guy trying to buy a band kit for his old 22" OD dia. gray egg.  large egg is green and 21" OD dia.;
    • another couple wanting an indirect set-up for their new Kong grill. they bought a Kong because they thought Kamado Joe made them and did not want their red color grill.
    We offer a variety of racking systems because folks approach cooking on ceramics differently, even egg owners. You would not believe how many folks who own a platesetter, just hate that thing. The platesetter is like analog tv, works but there is a world full of something better. 

tjv said:

t
    I was wondering about that.....that doesn't look like the Woo's I have in the shop or at home. 

It's a work in progress around here, trying to always make it better.  We prefer to invent rather than knock off.

t
  • tjv
    tjv said:

t
    Correct.  My woo is the standard woo.  My my rig extender is a very old one that I bought from you.  You can see Ive got a really old woo for a medium below the table too.  I kind of have a museum of CGS components at my house.  Its a testament to the quality.
    Thanks for supporting us and spreading the word. It means a lot to us around here, all the kind words about our work. 

t
  • So I have looked at CGS products for years.  I was always confused over what to buy.  Whether it be the name of each or just flat out confused one which is better for me I never pulled the trigger.  

This weekend at the Midwest Eggiest I pulled the trigger, on an Eggspander.  I have used it 3 times and cannot believe I egged with out one prior.  I never had problem but I got tired of handling numerous racks and extensions, bricks and anything else I fashion dot help me cook more.  The Eggspander really converts the egg into an easier cooking tool.  

Turns out, putting my eyes and hands on one is what it took.  Would much rather buy a product from a company like CGS but I also like to put my hands on things prior to buying.

• Tom gladly would have welcomed you in Denton, TX  ;)
    DFW - 1 LGBE & Happy to Adopt More...
  • Cornholio
    Cornholio Posts: 1,047
    yumdinger said:
    So I have looked at CGS products for years.  I was always confused over what to buy.  Whether it be the name of each or just flat out confused one which is better for me I never pulled the trigger.  

This weekend at the Midwest Eggiest I pulled the trigger, on an Eggspander.  I have used it 3 times and cannot believe I egged with out one prior.  I never had problem but I got tired of handling numerous racks and extensions, bricks and anything else I fashion dot help me cook more.  The Eggspander really converts the egg into an easier cooking tool.  

Turns out, putting my eyes and hands on one is what it took.  Would much rather buy a product from a company like CGS but I also like to put my hands on things prior to buying.

Did you take the time to read about them and watch the videos that are on each page of the different products on the CGS website?  You really looked for years and still came to the conclusion that the made in China eggspander was the right choice?  To each their own.  =)
  • I watched videos, read posts just never thought I needed one because I had these random DIY spacers and multilevel grid solutions.  They all got me by but cooking just became such a hassle.  I did the 3 bolt grate, used bricks etc... They did the job but were just a PITA.

When I would shop online it just seemed complicated (terminology/option).  I'll admit, it is probably just me but all the options made me apprehensive to buy. This weekend I saw the BGE rack in action and it made sense.  One options, seems to do what I needed it to do, on sale too.  Don't mean to offend anyone. 

By the way, my BGE dealer REALLY appreciated my dollars too. 
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    5 Eggs and each has Tom’s racks in them. 
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• njl
    njl Posts: 1,123
    I say it depends on what you like to cook.  I liked making ribs, and since buying the AR R&B combo, have gotten much better results on briskets, to the point that my wife thinks we're eating too much brisket.  :)
  • I was in a pinch and needed something the next day.  Got the Eggspander.  It works pretty well.  

Now, I will say my old way I was able to fit more butts in the large.  
    ------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • I’ve got a CGS woo and spider for my small and love it. I’ve also got the eggspander in my large. I added a CGS spider to it with a 13” stone on the spider to give me three cooking levels. Plenty of options.  
    Large BGE, small BGE, 2-22” Weber kettles, 26” Weber kettle, Weber jumbo joe, 14” WSM, 17” BS and 36” BS. Hope Mills, NC. USA.