Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Smoked Wagyu Blue Shroom Burger

Smoked burgers has been on my to-do list for a while, so I used the need to free up some
space in my freezer as an opportunity to do so.  I used a combination of full-blooded Wagyu
and standard Wagyu beef and fat.  From left to right, full-blooded Wagyu beef lifter meat
(top layer of beef short rib; latissimus dorsi), Wagyu kabob meat (combination of steak cuts),
a chunk of Japanese A5 brisket trimmings and wagyu fat.

photo IMG_20190907_152742_DRO_zpsbe05sdqjjpg

The marbling on the beef lifter meat was exceptional.

photo IMG_20190907_154545_DRO_zpsftn8jnkqjpg

Everything was diced, seasoned with SPOG and finely grinded.  I calculated the beef blend
to be around 65/35.

photo IMG_20190907_155422_DRO_zpsxbzkbcizjpg
photo IMG_20190907_222118_DRO_zpsoghtej8mjpg
photo IMG_20190907_222126_DRO_zpsbgbkkcvnjpg

I formed a half-pound burger patty, sliced up some baby portobellos and cut up some Ras el
Hanout seasoned Wagyu lardo, which was tossed onto the BGE at 250F with oak and cherry
wood chunks.

photo IMG_20190908_201224_DRO_zpszsittazyjpg
photo IMG_20190907_151257_DRO_zpsjwhqlwh1jpg
photo IMG_20190908_170037_DRO_zpsamcw0ttojpg
photo IMG_20190908_190941_DRO_zpsstwdc7v9jpg
photo IMG_20190908_202037_DRO_zpsmrimnmfujpg
photo IMG_20190908_200430_DRO_zpsn2dswm5xjpg

The burger meat was so tender that it broke in half when I flipped it.  Everything got piled onto
a brioche bun that was basted and pan fried in the Wagyu lardo fat and topped with ketchup,
mustard and gorgonzola cheese.

photo IMG_20190908_214324_DRO_zps6wviyfqfjpg

That was a very tasty burger.  You can’t beat fresh ground beef.  No weird chunks of gristle
or random bone fragments.  Just delicate, soft and tender beefy goodness.  Even so, it still
did not top the smashburger I made the previous day.

photo IMG_20190907_233425_DRO_zpsgk9cnrxijpg
photo IMG_20190907_233856_DRO_zpsu5v9jeaojpg
photo IMG_20190907_234125_DRO_zps4plassthjpg
photo IMG_20190907_235312_DRO_zpszlovustsjpg

It's "Smokin Gal", not "Smoking Al".
Egging in the Atlanta GA region
Large BGE, CGS setup, Kick Ash Basket, Smokeware SS Cap,
Arteflame grill grate

http://barbecueaddict.com

Comments

• 🤤 😋 

looks fantastic as usual!!! Great looking cook and pics!

Brandon - Ohio

• caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727
    I have never craved a burger so much. Both versions look and sound DELICIOUS!!

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Another great cook!
    Is that a pizza peel or an offset spatula?
    Lrg 2008
    Mini 2009
  • smokingal
    smokingal Posts: 1,025
    @marysvilleksegghead It's a burger spatula made by Blackstone.
    Arteflame grill grate

• kl8ton
    kl8ton Posts: 5,410
    The marbling on the beef lifter meat was exceptional

The above adjective is an understatement. 

Wow!
    Large, Medium, MiniMax, & 22, and 36" Blackstone
    Grand Rapids MI
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Why did I look? Now I’m hungry for burgers.  Lol.  Nice cook 

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • Dyal_SC
    Dyal_SC Posts: 6,023
    Great googily moogily....  :flushed:
  • You big ^^^^ Howard Stern fan.... Every time you post this I laugh.... RE: Bobo 
    Chicago, IL BGE XL BGE Mini Webber Charcoal / Elmhurst, IL
  •  :o  =)

I’d crush that. Looks phenomenal!
    DFW - 1 LGBE & Happy to Adopt More...
  • Absolutely marvelous!
    Stillwater, MN
  • Dyal_SC
    You big ^^^^ Howard Stern fan.... Every time you post this I laugh.... RE: Bobo 
    Huh?
  • Sorry... I thought you meant a caller they all made fun of for saying the catch phrase,  I'm not making fun of anything but I thought you were sneaking in this "bit" obviously you weren't  I mean no harm sir.... I misunderstood it. 
    Chicago, IL BGE XL BGE Mini Webber Charcoal / Elmhurst, IL
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,984
    I love burgers.

I have had them every way you can cook them, every type of blend you can imagine, from just about every grade you can use, with every topping typically applied.

This presentation only makes me want to travel to your home and camp in your front yard.

Brilliant post as always, thank you for sharing.

Fresh ground burgers going on tonight.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • Wow !!!
    Greensboro North Carolina
    When in doubt Accelerate....
  • saluki2007
    saluki2007 Posts: 6,354
    Image result for pulp fiction tasty burger
    Large and Small BGE
    Central, IL

• Image result for were not worthy gif

NW IA

2 LBGE, 1 SBGE, 22.5 WSM, 1 Smokey Joe

• billt01
    billt01 Posts: 1,523
    edited September 2019
    between @smokingal and @YukonRon's pictures , I have realized I cannot compete with the cooks or the pics.

because...

my hamburgers from here on out will be described as "Meh"  :|

Have:
     XLBGE / Stumps Baby XL / Couple of Stokers (Gen 1 and Gen 3) / Blackstone 36 / Maxey 3x5 water pan hog cooker
    Had:
    LBGE / Lang 60D / Cookshack SM150 / Stumps Stretch / Stumps Baby

Fat Willies BBQ
    Ola, Ga

• Dyal_SC
    Sorry... I thought you meant a caller they all made fun of for saying the catch phrase,  I'm not making fun of anything but I thought you were sneaking in this "bit" obviously you weren't  I mean no harm sir.... I misunderstood it. 
    Lol, I think I heard it on a snickers commercial once. 
  • Am I the only one that keeps coming back to this thread simply because I just can't believe how good those burgers look?
    Stillwater, MN
  • smbishop
    smbishop Posts: 3,053
    edited September 2019
    If only latissimus dorsi was in my daily vocabulary.  I love your posts!  Care to share how you know so much about beef?
    Southlake, TX and Cowhouse Creek - King, TX.  2 Large, 1 Small and a lot of Eggcessories.
  • td66snrf
    td66snrf Posts: 1,821
    smokingal said:

Smoked burgers has been on my to-do list for a while, so I used the need to free up some
    space in my freezer as an opportunity to do so.  I used a combination of full-blooded Wagyu
    and standard Wagyu beef and fat.  From left to right, full-blooded Wagyu beef lifter meat
    (top layer of beef short rib; latissimus dorsi), Wagyu kabob meat (combination of steak cuts),
    a chunk of Japanese A5 brisket trimmings and wagyu fat.

photo IMG_20190907_152742_DRO_zpsbe05sdqjjpg

The marbling on the beef lifter meat was exceptional.

photo IMG_20190907_154545_DRO_zpsftn8jnkqjpg

Everything was diced, seasoned with SPOG and finely grinded.  I calculated the beef blend
    to be around 65/35.

photo IMG_20190907_155422_DRO_zpsxbzkbcizjpg
    photo IMG_20190907_222118_DRO_zpsoghtej8mjpg
    photo IMG_20190907_222126_DRO_zpsbgbkkcvnjpg

I formed a half-pound burger patty, sliced up some baby portobellos and cut up some Ras el
    Hanout seasoned Wagyu lardo, which was tossed onto the BGE at 250F with oak and cherry
    wood chunks.

photo IMG_20190908_201224_DRO_zpszsittazyjpg
    photo IMG_20190907_151257_DRO_zpsjwhqlwh1jpg
    photo IMG_20190908_170037_DRO_zpsamcw0ttojpg
    photo IMG_20190908_190941_DRO_zpsstwdc7v9jpg
    photo IMG_20190908_202037_DRO_zpsmrimnmfujpg
    photo IMG_20190908_200430_DRO_zpsn2dswm5xjpg

The burger meat was so tender that it broke in half when I flipped it.  Everything got piled onto
    a brioche bun that was basted and pan fried in the Wagyu lardo fat and topped with ketchup,
    mustard and gorgonzola cheese.

photo IMG_20190908_214324_DRO_zps6wviyfqfjpg

That was a very tasty burger.  You can’t beat fresh ground beef.  No weird chunks of gristle
    or random bone fragments.  Just delicate, soft and tender beefy goodness.  Even so, it still
    did not top the smashburger I made the previous day.

photo IMG_20190907_233425_DRO_zpsgk9cnrxijpg
    photo IMG_20190907_233856_DRO_zpsu5v9jeaojpg
    photo IMG_20190907_234125_DRO_zps4plassthjpg
    photo IMG_20190907_235312_DRO_zpszlovustsjpgI may  never post again. Unsurpassable.

XLBGE, LBGE, MBGE, SMALL, MINI, 2 Kubs, Fire Magic Gasser
  • smokingal
    smbishop said:
    If only latissimus dorsi was in my daily vocabulary.  I love your posts!  Care to share how you know so much about beef?
    @smbishop I posted about the beef lifter cut in a previous post when I was trying to figure out what the top muscle layer of beef plate short ribs was called.  I suffered through a semester of meat production my senior year of college, where we had to learn all about beef, pork, lamb and chicken, including how to grade and butcher them.  Two hour labs in a freezing cold meat locker, 3 days a week, with a world class @#%^ for a professor.  The learnings just kinda stuck.
    Arteflame grill grate

• @BGEChicago jumped the shark
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• JohnEggGio
    JohnEggGio Posts: 1,430
    @smokingal Like everyone else, I find your posts to be highly inspiring, they leave me thinking,”Wow, I need to elevate my efforts”.

So, yesterday I was driving home from work, as usual - thinking about what I might fix for dinner.  Inspired by this post, I was thinking cheeseburgers!  Ok, so I needed to swing by my local grocer and pick up some ground beef - grabbed some grass-fed 85%, on sale.  Rather than settle for the individually wrapped Kraft singles I had at home, I hit the deli and picked up a half-pound of real yellow American cheese.  While waiting for my cheese, I observed that prosciutto was on sale... Ok, I’ll crisp-up some prosciutto instead of using the bacon I already had at home.

The dear wife was late getting home, so, I had a beverage or two while waiting.  Also, did my prep - crisped the prosciutto, seasoned the beef with SPOG, formed two generously sized patties.  Cooked up the extra ground beef I had and added it to the chuck roast chili I had going, which was a bit too wet.

Wife got home, I grilled the burgers, she toasted the buns.  Beef patties, sautéed mushrooms, fresh yellow American cheese, on a toasted sesame seed bun...  In a moment of inspiration, I slathered some of that chili sauce on top.  

Being quite hungry, I snarfled my burger in a flash - quite yummy.  I got up and took my plate into the kitchen - dang, there on a plate was the crispy prosciutto.  Oh, well...

Keep the inspiration coming!
    Maryland, 1 LBGE
  • smokingal
    Being quite hungry, I snarfled my burger in a flash - quite yummy.  I got up and took my plate into the kitchen - dang, there on a plate was the crispy prosciutto.  Oh, well...

Keep the inspiration coming!
    Sounds like you'd be sweating bullets if competing on Food Network's Chopped.  But since it's real life, sounds like you did quite well.  Nice work.  Be sure and put that crispy prosciutto to good use in your upcoming meals, assuming you didn't just eat it like crispy pork bacon.  =)  
    Arteflame grill grate

• JohnEggGio
    JohnEggGio Posts: 1,430
    @smokingal haha!  That’s a good visual.  I’m usually cooler - I think my rush was driven by hunger (it was after 9:00).  I’ll confess to making quick work of the prosciutto (my share).  My wife was eating at a good deal slower pace - she had prosciutto on at least half her burger.  Thanks for the kind words.
    Maryland, 1 LBGE