Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Smoked Chuckie: Help Me Plan This Awkward Cook

Goal: Serve delicious smoked chuckie to 2 buddies and my wife after golf on Saturday before my buddies and I plan next year's first annual golf weekend.

Problem: Will be out of the house from ~11am until 6pm on Saturday 

Solution...

I'm starting to think I need to just toss these chuckies in the freezer and come up with something else. 
Frederick, MD - LBGE and some accessories

Comments

• lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,706
    Sous Vide Chuck is amazing ....or dial your cooker in and let it go naked till you get back and bump it if need be
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • ^^^ Doesn't have a sous vide ^^^

One potential solution I thought of would be starting the cook as soon as I can on Friday night but then what? Cool the meat down Saturday morning, put in fridge, and reheat in pans before serving? I kinda forget about how long this cook takes.
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,162
    ^^^ Doesn't have a sous vide ^^^

One potential solution I thought of would be starting the cook as soon as I can on Friday night but then what? Cool the meat down Saturday morning, put in fridge, and reheat in pans before serving? I kinda forget about how long this cook takes.
    I have used that approach before.  Finish the cook to include pulling the day/night before and store in a tightly sealed foil pan(s).  Reheat in the clock box on your lowest setting (mine goes down to 170*F).  Around 45 mins into the reheat I remove the pan, uncover and give the meat a good mixing then reseal and finish.  FWIW-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • JohnEggGio
    JohnEggGio Posts: 1,430
    Where ya playing, @oldgeezeystax ?

I agree with @lousubcap ‘s suggestion.  Do the smoking and braising a day ahead. De-fat and warm on Saturday.
    Maryland, 1 LBGE
  • oldgeezeystax
    oldgeezeystax Posts: 313
    edited September 2019
    We are playing at Black Rock GC in Washington County. It's been a while since we've been out there so we are looking forward to it. You play @JohnEggGio ?
  • Kitarkus
    Kitarkus Posts: 181
    edited September 2019
    Forget the smoke low and slow.  Golf, come home, spatchcock birds, cook direct with a few wood chunks, drink a couple beers, eat chicken, enjoy!

Better yet spatchcock the night before, leave on a cookie sheet open air in the fridge so the skin dries out. it'll be ready to throw on the grill when you get home
  • If it's me, I'd find something that can be made fresh vs. reheating or whatever. Maybe pulled pork instead of pulled beef, which you could start early enough and you don't have to worry about foiling or braising. You also have a small enough group that you could just grill a thick steak or two and slice thin for sandwiches.
    Stillwater, MN
  • JohnEggGio
    JohnEggGio Posts: 1,430
    @oldgeezeystax yes, I do play - not as often as I’d like (life gets in the way).  Over the years I’ve played most courses within 30 miles of B’more.  Have never played Black Rock.  Looks like a beautiful setting and the heat has finally broken (let’s hope).  Enjoy!
    Maryland, 1 LBGE
  • kl8ton
    kl8ton Posts: 5,410
    We do pepper stout beef with regularity and reheated PSB is great!   Plenty of liquids to keep it hydrated. 
    Large, Medium, MiniMax, & 22, and 36" Blackstone
    Grand Rapids MI
  • kl8ton said:
    We do pepper stout beef with regularity and reheated PSB is great!   Plenty of liquids to keep it hydrated. 
    I definitely agree here. Unlike pulled pork, I don't get tired of eating the pepper stout beef for leftovers. I just don't think I'll have time to cook it and cool it down in advance of Saturday evening.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,657
    into a preheated rotomolded cooler just before leaving, pull it when you get back
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Get up early and smoke the chuckies.  Just before you leave, add all the liquid and the chuckies to the pan covered with foil and put it into a 190 degree oven. 

When you get home stick a fork in them to check for doneness and raise the oven temp if needed to finish them off. 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• Get up early and smoke the chuckies.  Just before you leave, add all the liquid and the chuckies to the pan covered with foil and put it into a 190 degree oven. 

When you get home stick a fork in them to check for doneness and raise the oven temp if needed to finish them off. 
    This is doable. Will the meat be safe to eat after that much time in the oven? Will my oven be safe unattended that long?
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    edited September 2019
    Get up early and smoke the chuckies.  Just before you leave, add all the liquid and the chuckies to the pan covered with foil and put it into a 190 degree oven. 

This is doable. Will the meat be safe to eat after that much time in the oven? Will my oven be safe unattended that long?
    The meat will definitely be safe. You can hold the meat above 140 and it is safe indefinitely (although too long I am sure the quality would suffer). 6-7 hours is definitely no problem. This is about the temp of a crock pot on low. 

I haven't really thought about the safety factor of leaving the oven unattended. I think it should be fine, but the internet has mixed feelings when I just googled it. You could always use a crock pot instead. The downside of the crock pot is they are slow to heat up, so if you get home and want to finish it off quickly you may want to transfer the contents to a pan and stick it in the oven. 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• Ended up hitting a pub after golf and pushing the chuckies till Sunday. The pepperonci one is so good and even easier to prepare.