Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Table question

Options
I have been lurking here for several months. I have had natural gas grilles for past 15-16 years so buying a BGE is a change in culture for me. I am looking forward to the challenge.
I have a piece of corian (30x54) for the top of a new table. I want the table to have no end-grain showing and no fasteners showing.
probably more trouble than worth.
If I miter the 2x4 apron would you mortise the apron into 4x4 legs or band it on out side?
Thanks for all the pictures of beautifully crafted tables...mine will not be worthy.
Kind regards.
RAH
PS Will start perusing recipes once egg is in table.

Comments

• JethroBodeen
    Options
    I would mortise them into the 4X4's. It looks better when finished IMO. You could also use a Kreg pocket jig too. I did one of my carts that way and it turned out pretty nice....

• SmokeyLopey
    Options
    While I don't have anything to add regarding your table, I will say, Welcome to the forum!
  • JethroBodeen
    Options

Here is one of the carts I built using Kreg jig. Nothing fancy but it works for me.

• raharness
    Options
    Nice. Thank you for observation. Table looks great!q
  • TexanOfTheNorth
    Options
    Kreg pocket jig +1. Not only will it hide the screws it gives a strong tight connection.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.
    edited August 2019
    Options
    I'm a novice in a lot of things including wood working. I know enough to make a pile of sawdust. I built a pretty big table with wood glue and a Krieg Jig. Hides all the screws nicely and very strong. I have a build thread around here somewhere. 

Did some digging and found my old thread:
    https://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1183296/my-awesome-lbge-table-build-thread/p1
    Aledo, Texas
    Large BGE
    KJ Jr.

Exodus 12:9 KJV
    Eat not of it raw, nor sodden at all with water, but roast with fire; his head with his legs, and with the purtenance thereof.

• raharness
    Options
    That is very well done...as I said, mine will not be worthy. Thanks for shating.

• Jameson19
    Jameson19 Posts: 354
    Options
    Through mortise with a wedge in the tendon or drawbore grain matching dowels? 
    Large BGE, Adjustable Rig, Small BGE, 2 BBQ Guru's, 18" WSM, Rockwood, Stage 3 Roush Mustang and a hot wife... 

Las Vegas, Nevada!
  • kl8ton
    kl8ton Posts: 5,429
    Options
    Welcome!  Please post pictures of your progress.  
    Large, Medium, MiniMax, & 22, and 36" Blackstone
    Grand Rapids MI
  • raharness
    Options
    Thank you for all the suggestions. I am attaching a couple of pictures of my completed table. A BGE executive would say the best picture is the one with the cover on it. It fits perfectly for the size of the table. The large BGE was bought at EGGfest at Green Top Sporting Goods, North of Richmond, VA on EGGfest special. Ryan Robertson most helpful!

Here are the table details: solid surface countertop material was 30" x 54" so I made the table legs dimensions 28" x 52" for a 1" overhang. The table ended up 32" above finished floor with the shelf height 15" below top. There is a 1/2" solid surface material under table nest & nearly covers the entire motto shelf. From picture egg seems high, so I may lower shelf a couple of inches...or just leave it. 

Method of consturction is based on "Red Hot Building Tailgate Edition"...google it. I added 3/4" trim boards between legs to dress it up. The trim board at bottom is 3/4"x5 1/2" to cover edge of solid surface & 5/4" deck board material for bottom shelf. I succeeded in not having fasteners showing and no end grain showing. I also added a switched receptacle & (3) puck LED lights at front corners & front middle for lighting effect. Silly I know....

Off topic picture is of 12# of pork shoulder cut in half & cooked with olive oil & Montreal Chicken seasoning on it. Took about 5 hours at 300 degrees or so, using BGE lump only. Was quite good. My goal in cooking is simple ingredients and seasonings.

Kind regards.
    RAH
  • JethroBodeen
    Options
    Nice work! What's the heat limit for Corian? I know it's some form of plastic but that's all I know about it....
  • raharness
    Options
    According to DuPont Corian can endure a 350 degree piece of metal as it cools for 20 minutes with no effect.
    With the air gaps around & under the egg Corian will be fine, in my opinion.

• JethroBodeen
    Options
    raharness said:
    According to DuPont Corian can endure a 350 degree piece of metal as it cools for 20 minutes with no effect.
    With the air gaps around & under the egg Corian will be fine, in my opinion.

Agreed. Again, nice ooking rig!
  • raharness
    Options
    Now several months later and I needed a new table top. The Corian table top split between the egg and the front edge. Granite sales people were unreasonable in pricing a replacement. Instead of using stone I had a stainless steel top fabricated by Hudson Sheet Metal in Ashland, VA. It is a piece of art! The stainless finish can be cleaned with a scotch pad. I love it, Regards to all.