Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Is Apple the new disrupter?

Options
northGAcock
northGAcock Posts: 15,164
Interesting (but understandable) that they are crossing over into the credit world. Learn more here.

https://www.apple.com/apple-card/how-it-works/
Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
Run me out in the cold rain and snow

Comments

• Dobie
    Dobie Posts: 3,365
    Options
    I hope so, I’m invested in AAPL
    Jacksonville FL
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,188
    Options
    No. Perhaps a minor player in this but not a disrupter in my opinion. I can see them trying to give me “Apple Bucks” instead of miles and cash back.  :|
  • DoubleEgger
    Options
    No. Perhaps a minor player in this but not a disrupter in my opinion. I can see them trying to give me “Apple Bucks” instead of miles and cash back.  :|
    Ha! I didn’t scroll all the way through the article the first time. Hit the nail on the head. 
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,396
    Options
    Is this where I should inquire if my next cell phone (with a much better camera-but it is the operator...) should be an iphone or stick with android (Samsung)?? B)  The issue is not worth its own thread and I am not hard-over with either option. 
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    lousubcap said:
    Is this where I should inquire if my next cell phone (with a much better camera-but it is the operator...) should be an iphone or stick with android (Samsung)?? B)  The issue is not worth its own thread and I am not hard-over with either option. 
    Brother Frank......this is off topic....you can ask anything you want (well except if it is to see naked breast, discuss politics, name calling, Komoda Juniors, Delivery Companies......well nevermind.)

You have a valid question.

Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,350
    Options
    Ha! I didn’t scroll all the way through the article the first time. Hit the nail on the head. 
    "Apple Bucks" = Daily Cash which is no different than other cash back deals with other credit cards. You can spend "Daily Cash" however you want. If you want to get the cash you can just send it to your bank account.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,776
    Options
    i dont think i trust this :o
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • alaskanassasin
    Options
    So if I buy $100,000 in apple products I can get $3,000 back!!!??
      Sign me up!

South of Columbus, Ohio.

• johnnyp
    johnnyp Posts: 3,932
    Options
    Their angle is less likely to be disruptive in the consumer space, but data acquisition and consumer behavior monitoring.

I suspect that Apple has found an advantageous way to curate purchasing information by using phone data. Could be GPS, app data or something else entirely.  
    XL & MM BGE, 36" Blackstone - Newport News, VA
  • Cornholio
    Cornholio Posts: 1,047
    Options
    I’ll stick to my Marriott AMEX..  
  • cookingdude555
    Options
    Debit card here.  No thanks.
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,491
    edited August 2019
    Options
    lousubcap said:
    While not a fanboi, all my home computers are Apple.  But I don't own an iPhone, they're just too ridiculously expensive for what I use a phone for.  I have an Android LG something-or-other that I paid, what, $60 for?  ... and a Tracfone account that costs $99/year; that's per year, not per month.  I get googlez mapz, and it interfaces with my car, it has an okay camera (I do have $OMG invested in Nikon gear).  I just don't need anything more.  
    do have to learn two different operating systems, but each get closer and closer to each other as they steal from each other, that's not a big issue even for a dummy like me.
    FWIW.  

Tin soldiers and Johnson's coming...

• 1911Man
    1911Man Posts: 366
    Options
    I avoid all things [cr]apple at all costs. 
    Large BGE with CGS Woo Ring, stone with stainless pan, Smokeware chimney cap, Kick Ash basket and Kick Ash can.
    Living free in the 603 (Pelham).
  • SonVolt
    SonVolt Posts: 3,314
    Options

Always spend other people's money and settle up at the end of the month. You miss out on a lot of perks by using a debt card, plus it's more risky since it's directly tied to your personal bank account. I don't care if someone steals my Visa card number... it ain't my money. 
    South of Nashville  -  BGE XL  -  Alfresco 42" ALXE  -  Alfresco Versa Burner  - Sunbeam Microwave 
  • cookingdude555
    Options
    SonVolt said:

Always spend other people's money and settle up at the end of the month. You miss out on a lot of perks by using a debt card, plus it's more risky since it's directly tied to your personal bank account. I don't care if someone steals my Visa card number... it ain't my money. 
    I will leave the perks to you. I keep my debit card account poorly funded (now), and move money as needed. Debit cards have the same protection from fraud that credit cards do, they are issued by the same card companies. Someone had a $4000 spending spree on mine once before my bank shut it down. My bank returned the funds after a weeklong investigation was conducted by MasterCard.

If you like borrowing for your needs, I say go for it. It’s just not for me. 
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,114
    Options
    I'll stick with Diners Club.

On topic of phones, go with a Google Pixel 3.  Iphones are way over priced.  With Googles phone you can buy this and next generations phone for the price of one Iphone.

(My wife and kids all have IPhones .... I use android.)
    They don’t want a population of citizens capable of critical thinking. They don’t want well informed, well educated people capable of critical thinking. They’re not interested in that. That doesn’t help them. That's against their interests. - George Carlin
  • Wolfpack
    Wolfpack Posts: 3,551
    Options
    SonVolt said:

I do the same and pay my card off every month, but apparently there are studies that say it does matter. You apparently spend more with credit cards than when buying with cash- much more than the 1-3% you get back in rewards. 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.psychologytoday.com/us/blog/the-science-behind-behavior/201607/does-it-matter-whether-you-pay-cash-or-credit-card%3famp

Greensboro, NC
  • JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,978
    Options
    If you use a credit (or debit) card regularly and watch yourself stick the card with the chip into various readers throughout the day, and you don't think that's going to change/evolve, then you're just not thinking that hard.  
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • alaskanassasin
    Options
    @cookingdude555 you are not alone!  “What’s in your wallet?” money!
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• alaskanassasin
    Options
    I also use a local bank and they know my name, I don’t fill out deposit slips etc. they do all that and if I have a problem the manager handles it.
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• DoubleEgger
    Options
    SonVolt said:

I will leave the perks to you. I keep my debit card account poorly funded (now), and move money as needed. Debit cards have the same protection from fraud that credit cards do, they are issued by the same card companies. Someone had a $4000 spending spree on mine once before my bank shut it down. My bank returned the funds after a weeklong investigation was conducted by MasterCard.

If you like borrowing for your needs, I say go for the it. It’s just not for me. 
    I used to have the same mindset as you. Now I make an extra $1000 or so every year and nothing really changed. Never pay a dime in interest...
  • six_egg
    six_egg Posts: 1,110
    Options
    I use a credit union debit card. I get cash back on my debit card. 

XLBGE, LBGE 

Fernandina Beach, FL

• cookingdude555
    cookingdude555 Posts: 3,194
    edited August 2019
    Options
    SonVolt said:

If you like borrowing for your needs, I say go for the it. It’s just not for me. 
    I used to have the same mindset as you. Now I make an extra $1000 or so every year and nothing really changed. Never pay a dime in interest...
    I used to have the same mindset as you. My wife and I used  our Costco amex for everything, paid it off every month. We “earned” thousands of dollars over years of doing this. But we learned we would spend more than we would when using cash only. I have more money now by using cash than I did earning “rewards”. Do what is best for you. 
  • rekameohs
    rekameohs Posts: 263
    Options
    Interesting (but understandable) that they are crossing over into the credit world. Learn more here.
     Just don't put the card in non-compatible places like your wallet or pants pocket.

To me, Apple is like Bose - marketing geniuses, making good, but severely overpriced products. 

Raleigh, NC