Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pork Butt Advice Needed

It’s been several years since I cooked multiple pork butts on my large BGE. If I recall correctly, I cooked four 8 lb roast for 26 hours at 230 degrees.  Is that in the ball park or  would you recommend the turbo method?

Thanks.

Any road will take you there if you don't know where you're going.

Terry

Rockwall, TX

Comments

• I generally do them turbo at 350 for 7-8 hours.  This whole pig only took 22 hours and fed 180 of us at tonight’s bbq!

• MaskedMarvel
    MaskedMarvel Posts: 3,136
    Shoot towards 195 degrees or so and then check to see if the bones are loose and released. That’s when it’s done. 

But, your time estimate looks good to me.
    Maybe a bit long. 
    Large BGE and Medium BGE
    36" Blackstone - Greensboro!

• GoooDawgs
    GoooDawgs Posts: 1,060
    26 hours is crazy long for 4 butts.  Even at 230 - 250 grate temp it should be around 2 hours per pound,  slightly less if you're at 250.  Butts are a fun,  easy cook.   Don't stress yourself out going 26 hours!  You got this. 
    Milton, GA 
    XL BGE & FB300
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    It's the same for four 8 pounders as it is for one. At 250° dome temp, it should take about 12 hrs. I always go with 320° or so - 8 hours.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• It's the same for four 8 pounders as it is for one. At 250° dome temp, it should take about 12 hrs. I always go with 320° or so - 8 hours.
    What he said. Let'm rip. 1.5 hours a pound at that real low temp is a good rule of thumb...
  • The meat drives the cook...I had a 12 pounder take 23 hours once.  It was awesome!!  
    Retired Navy, LBGE
    Pinehurst, NC

• Skrullb
    Skrullb Posts: 666
    I’m always amazed when I hear people talking about 18+ hour cooks for pork butts. I run 250-300 and have never had one take longer than 10 hours. I regularly cook 6 at a time in my XL and I see no need to ever cook at lower temps than that. To each his own, but to me those long cooks don’t sound right. 
    I'm in Fredericksburg, VA, and I have an XL and a medium. 
  • jtcBoynton
    jtcBoynton Posts: 2,814
    My preferred temp is in the moderate range, not low and slow or turbo.  Aim for around 275ºF and anticipate about 1 hour per pound.
    Southeast Florida - LBGE
    In cooking, often we implement steps for which we have no explanations other than ‘that’s what everybody else does’ or ‘that’s what I have been told.’  Dare to think for yourself.

• I put a boneless butt on this morning 4lbs.  It’s been 3 hours at 275. 

XL BGE
    Malden, MA
  • dmourati
    dmourati Posts: 1,265
    IMO, crank the temps to 275-325F. Egg is more stable there and no harm in the final product. You can get about 1 hour/lb at that range.
    Mountain View, CA
  • llrickman
    llrickman Posts: 654
    Skrullb said:
    I’m always amazed when I hear people talking about 18+ hour cooks for pork butts. I run 250-300 and have never had one take longer than 10 hours. I regularly cook 6 at a time in my XL and I see no need to ever cook at lower temps than that. To each his own, but to me those long cooks don’t sound right. 

I've done butts 8lb range in 6-8 hours before. once did 3 8 pounders took 21 hours before they reached temp.  

all were cooked at about 240-250
    2 LBGE
    Digi Q
    green Thermapen
    AR

Albuquerque, NM
  • I roll @ 225-250 and most are done in 12-14 hours, the cook is the fun part for me so I'm in no hurry.
    BGE XL, KJ Classic, Weber Performer Copper, 36" Blackstone Pro Series, Weber Genesis Copper, Traeger Pro 22
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,984
    I kinda have a very good system going at 225⁰F, until the bone is lifted freely from the roast.

I also brine the pork butt for no less than 24 hours prior to adding rub, then let sit in the fridge 4-6 hours, followed by a slathering of peach preserves prior to putting on the egg.

I smoke with peach wood.

It ends very juicy, the crust is heavenly, and I dare you to not stand outside, while pulling from the grill and tasting the bark, repeatedly. I can't do it.

Neither can my daughter, who previously swore she did not like pulled pork from the grill. She shoves it in her face as fast as she can get it.

Use a pizza peel to remove the roast from your grill.

I absolutely recommend serving a  fruit forward, dry finish Rosé while you sample, and serve.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky