Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pics of DIY Table and an important question...

Options
I had a fun time making this table. Im not a woodworker. BUT, a chop saw/mitrebox was all I needed to do every cut. Used Cedar decking for the tops and cedar 4x4 and 2x4's. Teak oiled the whole thing.

I made this a bit deeper and wider than plans I saw, mainly because I hope to use the right side for prep and a small Uuni pizza over.

MY QUESTION: Since this is a pretty deep table, centering the egg in the avalible space may put the back of the egg too far back...as in, I dont want to be reaching far to get food off the back of the grill and also be having to reach over hot coals....

Sooooo, how far back from the edge of the table is safe? 4" type of thing? I cut a jig for my XL and traced the circle on some paper to try to space it correctly, but perhaps its a simple thing. figured id ask.

Comments

• PatsFan70
    PatsFan70 Posts: 29
    Options
    If you look at the BGE brand table for the XL, it is 32” deep, so I would center your cutout at 16” from the front edge. 
    KJ Classic and BGE MiniMax
    Southeastern, MA
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,485
    Options
    The legs of your table are so close to the front/rear edges, I think you could set your XL all the way up to your front cross beam with no issues.  
    Trouble is, then you'd have some wasted space behind your Egg, or maybe a TV?   =)

"Pro-Life" would be twenty students graduating from Sandy Hook next month  

• bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    Botch said:
    The legs of your table are so close to the front/rear edges, I think you could set your XL all the way up to your front cross beam with no issues.  
    Trouble is, then you'd have some wasted space behind your Egg, or maybe a TV?   =)
    Agree with Botch.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • Col4bin
    Col4bin Posts: 28
    Options
    Botch said:

im ok with a little wasted space. Thanks for the input. dont own a TV LOL
  • aphill30
    aphill30 Posts: 8
    Options
    stand by the table with some tongs or another utensil in hand...and measure the distance of a comfortable reach....that would be your absolute max...go from there. 
  • johnmitchell
    johnmitchell Posts: 6,581
    Options
    aphill30 said:
    stand by the table with some tongs or another utensil in hand...and measure the distance of a comfortable reach....that would be your absolute max...go from there. 
    Great point.. Also bear in mind lifting the place setter and other heavy items out
    Greensboro North Carolina
    When in doubt Accelerate....
  • StillH2OEgger
    StillH2OEgger Posts: 3,746
    Options
    Don’t forget to account for space when lid is open if you are going to have table resting up against wall vs. out in the open.
    Stillwater, MN
  • Northcountrywoodnut
    Options
    nice job!!! I make tables in my shop and you look like a pro. We are retired and do all sorts of woodworking. I have made several with a simple small platform to lift when necessary. Aldo have made various collars to tune up the hole. Usually I make the hole 22 inches and the distance between top and bottom 17 to 18 inches. 
    Grill on!!!
  • Col4bin
    Options
    Final product. Pretty happy for my first project like this. Added a bottle opener (hard to tell but it’s a bear) a nice stainless hook rack I found on amazon and made a towel holder out of some 1/2” black pipe primed and painted black to match. 
  • JohnEggGio
    JohnEggGio Posts: 1,430
    Options
    Nice work - beautiful table.  Wondering about ash removal.  My large is in a nest, so I just grab a 5 gallon bucket and rake the ashes directly into it.  What’s your plan?
    Maryland, 1 LBGE
  • Kent8621
    Kent8621 Posts: 843
    Options
    its hard to see, is there an air gap under the egg?  love the table.

2 Large Eggs - Raleigh, NC

Boiler Up!!

• KiterTodd
    KiterTodd Posts: 2,466
    Options
    I agree on the ash removal as well.  It may just be misleading because of the size of the table and the egg, but it looks like a grilling table for midgets. :smile:  It's nice to have a decent gap between the shelf the egg is sitting on and the upper surface.  Although, you can clean most out the top if you wait until it cools, but it's nice to get in through the lower grate.

What is your egg sitting on?  I'd highly recommend some sort of an air gap, then sitting on top of something fireproof (granite, tile, etc.)  It seems that everyone who has an egg sitting right on a tile, then finds a burnt patch in the wood down the road when they remove the egg from the table. 
    LBGE/Maryland
  • Col4bin
    edited August 2019
    Options
    Appreciate the info. I have this sitting on. 1.5” concrete paver which is 12”x12”. It also incorporates a 1/2-3/4” gap between the sides of the egg and table. 

For ashes, I’ll scrape right in to my little ash dust pan thing. No issues there IMO.