Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

New Trend, "Old Beef"

TEXASBGE2018
TEXASBGE2018 Posts: 3,831
edited August 2019 in Beef

I learned something new, apparently an 8 year old cow is considered "old". I had never really thought about that. Anyways, interesting article. They liken it to Wagyu in terms of flavor and marbeling. Makes sense I guess. Thoughts??

https://www.wsj.com/articles/the-new-trend-in-steak-old-beef-11564997401

Rockwall, Tx    LBGE, Minimax, 22" Blackstone, Pizza Party Bollore. Cast Iron Hoarder.

Comments

• billt01
    billt01 Posts: 1,523

I learned something new, apparently an 8 year old cow is considered "old". I had never really thought about that. Anyways, interesting article. They liken it to Wagyu in terms of flavor and marbeling. Makes sense I guess. Thoughts??

https://www.wsj.com/articles/the-new-trend-in-steak-old-beef-11564997401

@TEXASBGE2018

the kosher thing to do is to use your paid account and copy all of the text in here for us poor saps who don't subscribe...

GHEESH!!!!

Have:
     XLBGE / Stumps Baby XL / Couple of Stokers (Gen 1 and Gen 3) / Blackstone 36 / Maxey 3x5 water pan hog cooker
    Had:
    LBGE / Lang 60D / Cookshack SM150 / Stumps Stretch / Stumps Baby

Fat Willies BBQ
    Ola, Ga

• TEXASBGE2018
    edited August 2019
    haha I didn't realize it wouldn't let you all see it. Cliffs notes version. The new "IT" thing in steakhouses is to apparently buy beef from cows that are older (5-10 years old) as opposed to the usual 2 years old. Apparently the flavor profile is similar to a dry aged beef with the marbling of Wagyu. The meat generally is a little more tough but the high brows compare it to drinking a quality aged wine. Thought it was interesting that a 8 year old cow is considered old. I guess I never really thought about it before.

Rockwall, Tx    LBGE, Minimax, 22" Blackstone, Pizza Party Bollore. Cast Iron Hoarder.

• TEXASBGE2018

Some Excerpts

"He often brings raw meat to a table to highlight how the fat in an older cow is visible “in little flecks” versus the “lightning bolts” in younger steak, which can create more tenderness when properly prepared, he says. “The marbling is as good as our Wagyu,” says Mr. Watts. “It’s definitely our most special beef.” Servers explain that the older cut is analogous to a full-bodied red wine. Diner Mr. Bolls is a convert."

"At RPM Steak in Chicago, executive chef Doug Psaltis started offering older cows as a special two years ago, inspired by chefs in Spain. Now “vintage or antique” beef appears every other week, including a $58 ribeye from a 6-year-old dairy cow, he says. Recent specials have included a “tartare of vintage beef” along with a “coal-roasted Vaca Vieja Chuleton.” The older meat is often prepared over charcoal rather than in a broiler because “vintage beef is unique in its taste and texture,” he adds."

"Servers tell customers the older meat has more connective tissue, which means it’s more muscular and harder to bite. “Younger beef could be like chewing bubblegum, mature beef tends to be a little bit of a tougher bite,” says Mr. Psaltis. But some diners like the richer flavor. “I don’t even have to add truffle butter,” says Sean Mayman, 29, a Chicago-based IT worker."

"Because older cattle is at higher risk for disease, U.S. government regulations require meat processors to remove the spine, brain and other tissues when slaughtering cattle older than 30 months. That can make it difficult to find plants willing to process older cows, says Jordan Beeman, who runs HeartBrand Beef, a ranch in Flatonia, Texas. "

Offerings include steak from mature beef at Tris in the Woodlands, Texas. Photo: Austin Simmons

"Some chefs are now paying prime-grade beef prices for old cows that were once used solely for ground beef or animal food and sold at a discount, says Austin Simmons, chef at Tris in the Woodlands, Texas, who buys Mr. Beeman’s mature beef. The older animals offer “the most concentrated beef flavor that I’ve ever had in my life,” says Mr. Simmons."

• Just saw a chef’s table with Magnus Nielssen this week and he loves to use older dairy cows from his dairy in his restaurants. This is contrary to the US train of thought (I don’t think we even grade cows that old). It seems 30 months or younger is the preferred route here. 
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,326
    There's a restaurant in Spain that I saw on some Netflix show (I think) a couple of years ago that served steaks from animals as old as 17 if I remember correctly.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• Eoin
    Eoin Posts: 4,304
    Beef here is nearly all under 30 months of age. Above this, additional measures have to be taken at the slaughterhouse as a hangover from the BSE issues we had, so costs are higher for older animals.
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Eoin said:
    Beef here is nearly all under 30 months of age. Above this, additional measures have to be taken at the slaughterhouse as a hangover from the BSE issues we had, so costs are higher for older animals.
    Yeah, I remember when you gents got hit with Creutzfeldt-Jakob Disease. 

I have a personal story about it but I can't tell it here because of privacy laws.

Can't tell it anywhere, actually because it's so rare and confidentiality and all that.  Anyway, some serious issues in dealing with a body after death having that disease.  Very expensive.
    edited August 2019
    Sounds like an industry plan to better  monetize older livestock. Might take some pressure off of beef prices.
    New Orleans LA