Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Tri tip

BGEbubba
BGEbubba Posts: 3
New to the forum but eggin for 10 years. Looking for tri tip suggestions

Comments

• Battleborn
    Battleborn Posts: 3,338
    I prefer a simple seasoning of S&P, garlic powder, onion powder and Worcestershire. Reverse sear to a rare/medium rare. 
    However, @YukonRon posted a marinated tri tip earlier today that looked amazing. I will try that this weekend.
    Las Vegas, NV

• bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Welcome. The search bar on the upper right is your friend.  I prefer SV at 130 for 2 hours before searing. 
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • Cornholio
    Cornholio Posts: 1,047
    I like marinating tri-tip in Scott’s Monterey Mesquite sauce or sometimes I’ll just pour some Worcestershire, S&P, chopped garlic, cayenne pepper in a bag and let sit for several hours. 

For the cook I prefer reverse sear.

• GregW
    GregW Posts: 2,676
    I work with a guy that cooks tri tip regularly. He spent a lot of time in California. I plan on cooking a tri tip this coming weekend and I asked him what he seasons it with. He quickly replied that he uses and recommends a seasoning that is made in California. The name is Pappys Choice.
    I placed an order for 3 -32 Oz jars tonight . 1 for me a 2 for him.
    Pappy's Choice appears to have a huge fan base in California.
    I can't wait to give it a try.

• Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Tri Tip is great with a Sous Vide start
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,673
    this is probably my favorite   crying tiger

DSC_0082jpg

marinade: says 1-4 hours
    2 tbls soy
    1 tbls fish sauce
    1 tsp sugar
    some chopped green onion

roasted tomato chili sauce:
    6 thai chilis
    1/2 cup chopped onion
    1/2 cup fish sauce
    3 cloves garlic
    16 cherry tomatoes
    1/3 cup lime juice
    4 tbls sugar
    2 tabls pakak hot curry
    bunch of chopped green onions

when the egg got up to about 500, put the chilis in and roasted til they were starting to char but not black,maybe a minute, took them out and added onion and whole tomatoes and did the same thing. let egg climb up for searing temps while back inside tossed some garlic into a dry pan for a half minute on med, added the pakak paste (this paste needs to be cooked according to the label) added a little water to avoid burning, then everything into a food processer. allow to cool, go cook steak

but this ones really up there as well

this one i do alot but i cut the salt in half

EGGFEST 2006-2007-2008-2009-2010
    Santa Maria Style Tri-tip
    Richard Miller aka Morro Bay Rich
    Morro Bay, CA

2 (3 pound) tri-tip roasts
    Basting Sauce, recipe follows
    Seasoning Salt Mixture: recipe follows

Seasoning Salt Mixture:
    2 teaspoons freshly ground black pepper
    2 teaspoons white pepper
    2 teaspoons cayenne pepper
    1 teaspoon onion powder
    4 tablespoons granulated garlic
    6 tablespoons salt

Mix together all ingredients in a small bowl

Basting Sauce:
    ½ cup red wine vinegar
    ½ cup garlic-infused vegetable oil

Whisk together vinegar and oil in a small bowl.

Coat both sides of the tri-tip roasts with the seasoning mixture, rubbing it in as you would a dry rub. Let the seasoned tri-tip rest for at least 30 minutes at room temperature. Sear each side of the tri-tip at 600 to 700 degrees for 3 to 4 minutes each. Remove seared tri-tip from the BGE, cover it with foil and let it rest while bringing the BGE temperature down to 350 to 400 degrees. During this cool down period I usually toss in a couple of oak chunks. Put tri-tip back in the BGE and cook to an internal temperature of 126 degrees for medium rare, basting with the sauce every 5 to 10 minutes. Remove tri-tip from the BGE, cover it with foil and let it rest 15 minutes. Cut into ½” slices against the grain.

This recipe is from Foodnetwork.com’s website. It is titled “Santa Maria Style BBQ” Oakwood Grilled Tri-tip. It is as close to authentic Santa Maria tri-tip as I have been able to find.

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • blind99
    blind99 Posts: 4,971
    Haven’t posted for awhile but figured I would tonight... tritip post coming up...
    Chicago, IL - Large and Small BGE - Weber Gasser and Kettle
  • dmourati
    dmourati Posts: 1,265
    this is probably my favorite   crying tiger

DSC_0082jpg

marinade: says 1-4 hours
    2 tbls soy
    1 tbls fish sauce
    1 tsp sugar
    some chopped green onion

roasted tomato chili sauce:
    6 thai chilis
    1/2 cup chopped onion
    1/2 cup fish sauce
    3 cloves garlic
    16 cherry tomatoes
    1/3 cup lime juice
    4 tbls sugar
    2 tabls pakak hot curry
    bunch of chopped green onions

when the egg got up to about 500, put the chilis in and roasted til they were starting to char but not black,maybe a minute, took them out and added onion and whole tomatoes and did the same thing. let egg climb up for searing temps while back inside tossed some garlic into a dry pan for a half minute on med, added the pakak paste (this paste needs to be cooked according to the label) added a little water to avoid burning, then everything into a food processer. allow to cool, go cook steak

but this ones really up there as well

this one i do alot but i cut the salt in half

EGGFEST 2006-2007-2008-2009-2010
    Santa Maria Style Tri-tip
    Richard Miller aka Morro Bay Rich
    Morro Bay, CA

2 (3 pound) tri-tip roasts
    Basting Sauce, recipe follows
    Seasoning Salt Mixture: recipe follows

Seasoning Salt Mixture:
    2 teaspoons freshly ground black pepper
    2 teaspoons white pepper
    2 teaspoons cayenne pepper
    1 teaspoon onion powder
    4 tablespoons granulated garlic
    6 tablespoons salt

Mix together all ingredients in a small bowl

Basting Sauce:
    ½ cup red wine vinegar
    ½ cup garlic-infused vegetable oil

Whisk together vinegar and oil in a small bowl.

Coat both sides of the tri-tip roasts with the seasoning mixture, rubbing it in as you would a dry rub. Let the seasoned tri-tip rest for at least 30 minutes at room temperature. Sear each side of the tri-tip at 600 to 700 degrees for 3 to 4 minutes each. Remove seared tri-tip from the BGE, cover it with foil and let it rest while bringing the BGE temperature down to 350 to 400 degrees. During this cool down period I usually toss in a couple of oak chunks. Put tri-tip back in the BGE and cook to an internal temperature of 126 degrees for medium rare, basting with the sauce every 5 to 10 minutes. Remove tri-tip from the BGE, cover it with foil and let it rest 15 minutes. Cut into ½” slices against the grain.

This recipe is from Foodnetwork.com’s website. It is titled “Santa Maria Style BBQ” Oakwood Grilled Tri-tip. It is as close to authentic Santa Maria tri-tip as I have been able to find.

Those both sound amazing. Thanks. Silly me, I've only done straight up Tri Tips without such marinades/sauces. I will have to try harder next time.
    Mountain View, CA
  • BGEbubba
    Thanks everyone. Mine says tri tip roast. Same thing?
  • Cornholio
    BGEbubba said:
    Thanks everyone. Mine says tri tip roast. Same thing?
    Yessir. 
  • Cornholio
    All of this tri tip talk got me craving one, just finished one up with some corn and mushrooms on the side.  

• BGEbubba
    Looks great. I missed pics on mine but it was great. Had some chopped with tacos and some sliced with horseradish sauce
  • Jameson19
    Jameson19 Posts: 354

Agreed on tri tip. Smoked this one tonight with Bovine Bold, raised indirect at 300° 
    Large BGE, Adjustable Rig, Small BGE, 2 BBQ Guru's, 18" WSM, Rockwood, Stage 3 Roush Mustang and a hot wife... 

Las Vegas, Nevada!
  • blind99
    blind99 Posts: 4,971
    @jameson19 steak looks awesome... tell me about that ice cube.... do they scratch the glassware?
    Chicago, IL - Large and Small BGE - Weber Gasser and Kettle
  • Jameson19
    Jameson19 Posts: 354
    edited July 2019
    The ice cube is a frozen rock, limestone I think but I could be wrong. I keep them in the freezer and they chill one shot. I got it at the local liquor store.

No scratching the glass 
    Large BGE, Adjustable Rig, Small BGE, 2 BBQ Guru's, 18" WSM, Rockwood, Stage 3 Roush Mustang and a hot wife... 

Las Vegas, Nevada!
  • EagleIII
    EagleIII Posts: 415
    Tri-tip is not all that easy to find in "Hotlanta".  I used to live in CA and it was EVERYWHERE....Atlanta, not so much!
  • CPARKTX
    CPARKTX Posts: 2,095
    Tri-tip is a great cut of meat...our favorite is Santa Maria style.
    LBGE & SBGE.  Central Texas.