Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Skillet roux by americas test kitchen

Options
Has anyone tried to make roux by browning the flour w/o fat or oil like americas Test Kitchen recommends
I XL  and 1 Weber Kettle  And 1 Weber Q220       Outside Alvin, TX-- South of Houston

Comments

• SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    edited July 2019
    Options
    GoldenQ said:
    Has anyone tried to make roux by browning the flour w/o fat or oil like americas Test Kitchen recommends
    I have not. I always make what I call a traditional Cajun roux. 50/50 oil & flour. 

With that said I prefer a “wetter” roux over a “drier” roux. However that is simply my preference. Others preferences certainly varies. 

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    edited July 2019
    Options
    Roux by definition is flour cooked with a fat.  Wouldn’t even try to pass browned flour as a roux.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,192
    Options
    Gravy - yes, roux - no. 
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    SGH said:
    GoldenQ said:
    I have not. I always make what I call a traditional Cajun roux. 50/50 oil & flour. 

With that said I prefer a “wetter” roux over a “drier” roux. However that is simply my preference. Others preferences certainly varies. 
    Great example of a true brown roux.  I made a blonde roux this weekend for a Mac and Cheese.  
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    bgebrent said:
    Great example of a true brown roux.  I made a blonde roux this weekend for a Mac and Cheese.  
    I love it brother👍

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• Theophan
    Theophan Posts: 2,654
    Options
    I'm with the folks above -- a roux by definition is cooked flour and fat.  Browned flour is not a roux.  I can't imagine it would taste the same.  Why does this test kitchen recommend it?
  • mEGG_My_Day
    mEGG_My_Day Posts: 1,653
    Options
    I have used this method to make leftover turkey gumbo.  And it turned out incredible and everyone loved it.  So maybe it isn’t technically roux, or it isn’t technically gumbo.  But it is delicious.  I think a big part of the success of this recipe is to use homemade stock (which I made with the turkey carcass). 

https://youtu.be/pxV4k76UawU
    Memphis, TN 

LBGE, 2 SBGE, Hasty-Bake Gourmet
  • The_Stache
    The_Stache Posts: 1,153
    edited July 2019
    Options
    I have tried it and it works!  I've also tried and liked the 7+ minute microwave roux... It is incredible!!
    Kirkland, TN
    2 LBGE, 1 MM