Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

best place to buy bulk for home use spices?

Options
2»

Comments

• TEXASBGE2018
    TEXASBGE2018 Posts: 3,831
    Options
    chickfila here is an empty parking lot, what are the 4 drivethru lanes for
    Its for the heroin deliveries that they clearly put in the chicken to make it so addictive.

Rockwall, Tx    LBGE, Minimax, 22" Blackstone, Pizza Party Bollore. Cast Iron Hoarder.

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,776
    Options
    chickfila here is an empty parking lot, what are the 4 drivethru lanes for
    Its for the heroin deliveries that they clearly put in the chicken to make it so addictive.
    everyone must have overdosed here then, at noon theres maybe a car or two in the drivethru now and wendys across the street is packed
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Y'all should stop using anything technological, because it's mostly owned and designed by libtards.  You won't starve, you've got Chik fil-a

Well it is rated the number 1 fast food restaurant from multiple publications so maybe there's a reason. I wonder if they use Penzeys spices to season the chicken. That would be Ironic....
    Number 1 in something I can't figure out.  They're not the biggest, most profitable, best food  (think In-N-Out-burger, 5 guys, etc).....  Probably the number 1 destination for "deplorables".  Yep, that's gotta be it.  No offense to the MAGA crowd.

No, its the number 1 for EVERYONE. So even those pesky "libtards" love them some "hate" chicken even though they will never admit it. But back to Spices. If I'm buying Bulk I go to Costco. I generally never buy bulk of any spices except Salt and Peppercorns.
    Since masturbation is a sin and jesus is always watching your bedroom, I can see the adversity to palm hair and, well, everyone needs a fast food champion for distraction since cranking one off is a quick trip to hell, so why not a chain that gives money to SPLC listed hate groups?  All the power to you and everyone. Win win.
    Does the my pillow guy sell cummin by any chance?
  • TEXASBGE2018
    TEXASBGE2018 Posts: 3,831
    Options
    Y'all should stop using anything technological, because it's mostly owned and designed by libtards.  You won't starve, you've got Chik fil-a

Well it is rated the number 1 fast food restaurant from multiple publications so maybe there's a reason. I wonder if they use Penzeys spices to season the chicken. That would be Ironic....
    Number 1 in something I can't figure out.  They're not the biggest, most profitable, best food  (think In-N-Out-burger, 5 guys, etc).....  Probably the number 1 destination for "deplorables".  Yep, that's gotta be it.  No offense to the MAGA crowd.

No, its the number 1 for EVERYONE. So even those pesky "libtards" love them some "hate" chicken even though they will never admit it. But back to Spices. If I'm buying Bulk I go to Costco. I generally never buy bulk of any spices except Salt and Peppercorns.
    Since masturbation is a sin and jesus is always watching your bedroom, I can see the adversity to palm hair and, well, everyone needs a fast food champion for distraction since cranking one off is a quick trip to hell, so why not a chain that gives money to SPLC listed hate groups?  All the power to you and everyone. Win win.
    Question, where do you get your bulk spices from?

Rockwall, Tx    LBGE, Minimax, 22" Blackstone, Pizza Party Bollore. Cast Iron Hoarder.

• nolaegghead
    Options
    We have a place called "International Market" that sells in bulk.  Hong Kong market is also excellent if you shop in the nola area.

Options
    We have a place called "International Market" that sells in bulk.  Hong Kong market is also excellent if you shop in the nola area.

Ahh, good to know that we are back on track then.

• nolaegghead
    Options
    There are a few things I order online that I just can't find (at least a good deal on them) locally.  Like I bought an ounce of saffron.  That would have cost me $300 locally.  I paid $80.  Also, good boutique chili powders.  SWMBO has ordered from Pensky's a number of times, their stuff is good, no complaints, but that said, mostly local.

Options
    No but you can surely make your own “cummin” seeds with the help of one of his pillows. 
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • nolaegghead
    Options
    No but you can surely make your own “cummin” seeds with the help of one of his pillows. 
    Image result for boyfriend pillow
    Options
    Image result for boyfriend pillow
    That's a funky nipple
    ~ John - https://www.instagram.com/hoosier_egger
    XL BGE, LG BGE, KJ Jr, PK Original, Ardore Pizza Oven, King Disc 
    Bloomington, IN - Hoo Hoo Hoo Hoosiers!

• Kent8621
    Kent8621 Posts: 843
    Options
    Teefus said:
    I buy Penzey's at the retail outlets so I don't have to deal with the politics of Bill the idiot. I used to be on their mailing list but I sent him a reply to one of his rants and told him to F.O. He doesn't bother sending me anything any more.

His sister has a company called The Spice House (https://www.thespicehouse.com/) that's pretty good. Her politics are different than his, but more importantly, she keeps them to herself. She's not interested in alienating portions of her customer base.
    that some good info, it has been a year or so since i have been to penzy's we dont have one local to us here but i will check this one out.  thank you.

2 Large Eggs - Raleigh, NC

Boiler Up!!

• 1voyager
    1voyager Posts: 1,157
    Options
    Costco, Amazon and Savory Spice Shop.
    Large Egg, PGS A40 gasser.
  • scdaf
    scdaf Posts: 176
    Options
    San Francisco Herb Co.   (sfherb.com) has  been my go to for a long time.  Much less expensive than the others mentioned here and a solid provider.

Also, freezing spices bought in bulk works for me.

Do buy some spices at Costco but many of the blends have far too much salt.  Tried their BBQ spice once and ended up throwing it out.  I know, I could have returned it, but I don't like returning products which are not faulty.  I realize most people like more salt than I do.
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,492
    edited July 2019
    Options
    Salt is not a spice.  It's a rock.  A pure compound.  It doesn't matter how old it is.  You can grind it, but that would be only for textural purposes (for last-minute sprinkling).  
    You can grind it at any time, up to 2,000 years prior, with no loss in flavor (before that, sinners were cast in it, so that may leave a slight aftertaste; not sure)

Tin soldiers and Johnson's coming...

• northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    Botch said:
    Salt is not a spice.  It's a rock.  A pure compound.  It doesn't matter how old it is.  You can grind it, but that would be only for textural purposes (for last-minute sprinkling).  
    You can grind it at any time, up to 2,000 years prior, with no loss in flavor (before that, sinners were cast in it, so that may leave a slight aftertaste; not sure)
    Botch

i am staying in a Residence Inn by Marriott for the weekend. Am I wrong to empty the 5-6 little salt and pepper packets, into the empty salt and pepper shakers? I look to you for wisdom in this matter.
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • Shiff
    Shiff Posts: 1,835
    Options
    @FanOfFanboys , you didn't say where you live which would help in answering your question.  I live in Lancaster, PA, which is an Amish area and there are lots of bulk food stores here in and in other Amish areas in Ohio and Indiana.  Buying spices and many other cooking ingredients is very easy around here. Prices are very good and the volume sold keeps things fresh.
    Large BGE
    Barry, Lancaster, PA
  • FanOfFanboys
    FanOfFanboys Posts: 2,615
    edited July 2019
    Options
    Shiff said:
    @FanOfFanboys , you didn't say where you live which would help in answering your question.  I live in Lancaster, PA, which is an Amish area and there are lots of bulk food stores here in and in other Amish areas in Ohio and Indiana.  Buying spices and many other cooking ingredients is very easy around here. Prices are very good and the volume sold keeps things fresh.
    @Shiff I should have mentioned that

Columbia, SC. No Amish near us, that I know of  
    Boom